UKC

A different approach to beating Covid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 12 Jan 2021

I hadn't seen this before, thought it was interesting. 

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/03/416986/unveiling-how-coronavirus-hijacks-...

bonebag 12 Jan 2021
In reply to aln:

A very interesting read and exciting ideas.

Toerag 12 Jan 2021
In reply to aln:

"“We see proteins and complexes and pathways come up again and again across a variety of diseases,” said Krogan. “Why? I think it’s because there’s a kind of Achilles heel in your cells.” These same pathways also appear to play a role in seemingly unrelated diseases, such as heart disease and cancer."

Ah, so that's obviously how Cannabis cures everything! :-D  Good article.

TomD89 13 Jan 2021
In reply to aln:

I was listening to a podcast with a Russian geneticist. He was discussing drugs in progress that would do something like block the H2 receptor that the spike protein attaches itself to, effectively preventing virus from being able to attach. 

Certainly if you consider the worst case scenario of vaccines only being effective for 6-12months like the annual flu jabs, the logistics and costs of vaccinating the entire worlds population twice over (2 jabs for optimal protection) every year seems daunting. Having a quick and easy drug intervention certainly wouldn't hurt.

Derek Furze 13 Jan 2021
In reply to aln:

Yep - really interesting and a good insight into the brilliance of scientific and medical research.

GrahamD 13 Jan 2021
In reply to aln:

Every time I see an article like this, the more utterly basic my biology A level seems !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...