UKC

A modest proposal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wercat 28 Apr 2021

This is a heartrending clip of an interview with a German soldier from WW1.

I propose that there should be an unhackable showing of this at the start of any online team killing game, and that perhaps the echoes of these words should come in over the game audio from time to time.

youtube.com/watch?v=XruYsAmKLyU&

Post edited at 10:51
In reply to wercat:

That was very powerful but I disagree with your bit about video games.

Why single out games, why not movies?,  books even.

Back to the film. I can't come close to imagining what those guys went through,  he was talking about how cruel his fellow soldiers were but most of the will have had exactly the same feelings that he did but they were putting on a show. 

wercat 28 Apr 2021
In reply to Dax H:

I'm sure you're right.  Perhaps it should be shown for group discussion at GCSE age and then again to all people either at A level or in vocational education.

There's something about the old man's remorse from having killed all those years ago and remembering with such present horror that must be one of the most powerful antidotes to the glamour of war I've ever watched.

hang_about 28 Apr 2021
In reply to wercat:

That should be shown to every recruit before they sign up - with a C/O standing along side them to answer any questions immediately after.

DerwentDiluted 28 Apr 2021
In reply to wercat:

C'est la guerre.  In the brilliant book 'Somme Mud' by EPF Lynch (which if I had to recommend a book about WW1 would be high on my list) he describes taking over a newly captured position behind Delville Wood, scene of intense hand to hand fighting on the Somme.  He describes seeing, in a trench, a German and a South African(?) Standing opposite each other, each impaled on the others bayonet and locked in a macabre embrace. Both stone dead. I read somewhere in casualty statistics that virtually no one was wounded by a bayonet. They either fled, surrendered or died.

In reply to wercat:

That I would definitely get behind. 

Groundhog 29 Apr 2021
In reply to wercat:

Reminds me of the scene in All Quiet On The Western Front (the best anti war movie ever in my view) when the German soldier bayonets a French soldier. Then he has to lie in the crater for ages and watch him die. Heartbreaking. 

wercat 29 Apr 2021
In reply to Groundhog:

yes, it could have been the man in the interview

In reply to wercat:

>I propose that there should be an unhackable showing of this at the start of any online team killing game, and that perhaps the echoes of these words should come in over the game audio from time to time.

People were killing each other long before video games. I think its part of the Boys Own Adventure type myths: 'Join the Army, be a man'. It starts in childhood and is reinforced by culture, with blessing from the state. After all, its better to be the victor, than the vanquished.

As Kipling said:

If any question why we died,

Tell them, because our fathers lied.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...