UKC

A night in a haunted house

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Obi Wan 02 Dec 2012
Ok, so my duaghter is about to turn 16 and as a present she is asking for a night in a haunted house. Top idea, and I would happily join her, however I cannot for the life of me find anything on the t'interweb!
I am looking to stay overnight in a haunted house but not to the break the bank, preferably in lancs or Yorks area.
All I can find are ghost tours, and ghost hunt nights that require a min party number and need to be booked for a specific date.
Does anybody know of anywhere that 2 of us can stay the night without having to join an "investigation" or group and somehwere that is not just a hotel room?
Years ago I stayed at Chingle Hall which was perfect, however I don't think they allow visitors anymore. Something similar is what I am looking for, any ideas?
Help me UKC you are my only hope...
 The Lemming 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:

Another idea would be spend a night in York and then go on one of the suggested Ghost Walks?
Very entertaining and scary.

Next thing would be to google haunted pubs in Lancashire or Yorkshire and then try to book a B&B there. If you can't get a room there why not phone the pub and see if they will let you spend a few hours there, for a fee, to soak up the atmosphere?

Do your own Ghost Walk around some creepy grave yards. Edinburgh is quite famous for Body Snatching and such like.

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is, but then I've been brought up in haunted houses and haunted pubs. Seriously!
 Timmd 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:Think there's a University of Parapsychology in York, I saw it on a ghost hunting style programme, there wasn't much else on.

Perhaps ask them for details of somewhere to go, or if you could stay in thier building? IIRC some ghostly things apparently happened, or not depending on your point of view.

Hope to help!

Timmd 02 Dec 2012
 Fluvial 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:
Busby Stoop Inn N. Yorks seems to fit the bill

http://www.hauntedplaces.co.uk/busbystoopinn.htm
 Bulls Crack 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:
> Ok, so my duaghter is about to turn 16 and as a present she is asking for a night in a haunted house. Top idea, and I would happily join her, however I cannot for the life of me find anything on the t'interweb!

That'll be because there's no such thing?

Sorry
aultguish 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:
Spend the night in a bothy with her but the night before, force her to watch a few psycho horror movies. Blair Witch, as rubbish as it is, would probably do the trick
lanky_suction1 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:

You can spend the night in the old police cells in the Fire and Police Museum in Sheffield - you can get pizza delivered too! I have only visited in the day, but it is very atmospheric. The old cells used to have an underground tunnel direct to the courthouse, and there were quite a few pretty gruesome murderers held there.

Actually, might be a bit full on for a 16 year old!
http://www.firepolicemuseum.org.uk/index.html
 Brass Nipples 02 Dec 2012
In reply to aultguish:
> (In reply to Obi Wan)
> Spend the night in a bothy with her but the night before, force her to watch a few psycho horror movies. Blair Witch, as rubbish as it is, would probably do the trick

And to have mates turn up in middle of night and throw stones or make scratching noises, or shout out with no head torches on.. Leave old stuff outside door to be found in morning....
aultguish 02 Dec 2012
In reply to A Game of Chance:
'Like'
 birdie num num 02 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:
Plas Teg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plas_Teg Depends how scared you want to be.
 pepperpot 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:

http://www.white-swan-stratford.co.uk/

This hotel has a room thats famous for being haunted if you get stuck.
OP Obi Wan 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:

Thanks everyone, some useful links.
Liking the sound of the police museum, especially considering she lives in Sheff would be perfect. Cheers dudes.
Failing that, the tent and a pile of old stones is second choice...;-0
 grommet 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:
You might find something useful on here.
http://www.aloneinthedarkentertainment.com/hauntedcampoutevent.htm
Not been, don't know anyone that has, just saw a feature on TV about it.
lanky_suction1 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:

Do report back! I'd be really interested to hear how it goes, specially if you do go to the police museum. It's actually fairly spooky in the day, I can only imagine it at night
OP Obi Wan 07 Dec 2012
In reply to lanky_suction1:

Emailed them days ago, not had a sausage back.
 Timmd 07 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:

There's a pub in the Peak District which people can stay in with an apparently haunted bedroom, will try and remember it.
 browndog33 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan: Have you tried Derby Gaol? M.
 DerwentDiluted 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Obi Wan:

The George in Castleton is the scene of my only experience of ghosts. Went from devout skeptic to very puzzled 'there's definately stuff happens we can't explain' in about 3secs. Got a witness too. There's another pub nearly next door which has a haunted room, apparently guests regularly checkout at 3am, can't call the name to mind though - Bulls Head??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...