UKC

Accounting software - self employed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jenny C 09 May 2018

Can anyone recommend a simple (cheap) accounting package for use by someone self employed through CIS. 

Been told by our accountant that HMRC won't accept a traditional paper system from next year and we have to use a 'proper' accounting package instead. 

Mr Lopez 09 May 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

Doing the filling online using HMRC's web based software is accepted for the time being and foreseeable future, and free.

Just enter the details from your papers into the website and that's it.

Removed User 09 May 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

QuickBooks would likely be the most suitable, not sure it is the cheapest.

charley 09 May 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

I use FreeAgent, handles all my invoicing, accounts and tax returns.

tehmarks 10 May 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

Another vote for Freeagent - handles all my needs as a VAT-registered limited company with ease, isn't overly complex and isn't particularly expensive.

Lemony 10 May 2018
In reply to Mr Lopez:

Hi, 

it’s possible/likely that things will slip but according to the current roadmap that’s not really true. MTD vat submission API is currently in private beta (and performing ok) and due to go into public beta mid July.

The planned public launch is mid 2019 and from then it will be obligatory for everyone over the £85k threshold.

/developing the integration for some accounting software at the moment

Post edited at 07:38
 krikoman 10 May 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

It depends whether you want online accounts or offline, I'm still using QuickBooks 2003 because I don't want to go all online and pay a monthly fee.

I'm not sure about other program but I think Sage still do an offline version.

Mr Lopez 10 May 2018
In reply to Lemony:

True, but i'll be surprised if that gets forced to 'normal' self-employed workers for quite a few years  to come (i.e. people paying CIS which are on the bottom rung and very unlikely to be pushing over the VAT threshold) as the biggest acknowledged issue with it is the outlay necessary to set up at home and lack of IT skills to personally adapt smoothly.

Regardless, when/if that gets fully introduced HRMC will (allegedly) provide software to download free of charge

pigeonjim 10 May 2018
In reply to Jenny C:

Get a gateway login and just log it all online through a web browser if you are deducting.  If you are suffering get the HMRC basic tools (which is free) and send an EPS each month.

PS this is a payroll issue not an accounting issue. 

Post edited at 22:55
 planetmarshall 11 May 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

> Another vote for Freeagent...

I also use FreeAgent. Developed by some nice folks in Edinburgh.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...