UKC

Alternative to Samsung Galaxy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 20 May 2021

Hi

Soon will be looking for a new phone. I've got a Galaxy S7 and woud look to replace with something equivalent to a S9 or above but with less bloatware. So much of the preloaded apps on my phone never get used. 

Anyone able to make a recommendation (excluding any iPhones)? With a good camera would be ideal.

climber34neil 20 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I don't really have a huge interest in the phone, apps etc but choose nmine based on the camera, previously had Google pixel phones but have recently got the galaxy  s21 ultra and the camera is amazing,  picture quality is very good, zoom function is amazing considering its a phone and loads of other features for adjustment etc

OP Flinticus 20 May 2021
In reply to climber34neil:

S21 package with my provider is more expensive than I want to go and is too expensive to buy outright SIM free

Chaildn 20 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I recently upgraded my Samsung S7 for a Samsung A52 5G. Not overly expensive (~£330 with trade in) and seems to do everything I need it to do. Camera is a million times better than the S7.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-a/galaxy-a52-5g

Post edited at 10:43
In reply to Flinticus:

The Samsung A12 is pretty good. I'm pleased with mine. The camera's are pretty good.. maybe not quite as good as the latest iphone

MonkeyPuzzle 20 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm on my second Google Pixel and think they're great. Buy outright if you have the cash and they guarantee updates for at least 3 years. Pure Android with no bloatware and the cameras are excellent.

In reply to Flinticus:

Google pixel 4XL 

I hate Samsung bloatphones.   Nothing but a PITA

broken spectre 20 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I also sold my soul to Google. The pocket sized pixel 4a. Very good phones and so affordable you can get one outright as is mentioned above.

LastBoyScout 20 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Been very happy with my Sony Xperia - very good cameras.

Jenny C 20 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Loved my old sony and it certainly had less preinstalled apps than the Google pixel. New ones are a horrid size/shape though which ruled them out for my current phone.

Happy with my Google pixel 5. Camera seems good in low light, but is slow to process images.

OP Flinticus 20 May 2021
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Updates until Nov 2023 based on my google search results 

In reply to Flinticus:

Have a look at the RealMe phones - you get a lot of phone for less ££. Some bloatware, but nothing that i've been particularly bothered about. Not had samsung so can't compare. I've the 5pro, which although getting long in the tooth still holds it's own. Good cameras too. 

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/what-is-realme-a-guide-to-the-company-and...

MonkeyPuzzle 20 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Ah yes, it's three years from the phone's launch, so 2.5 years guaranteed at this point.

Blue Straggler 20 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Slightly different topic of course but may find some ideas here
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/seeking_smart_phone_micro_simhi...

gravy 20 May 2021

You could use a debloater to strip out all the bloatware and leave something much closer to raw android available for most phones and an easy alternative to rooting and doing it yourself.

Dax H 20 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I broke my Samsung 7 and replaced it with a pixle 3a, no complaints 

OP Flinticus 20 May 2021
In reply to gravy:

How's that work?

I was looking into that...using something called ADB and debugging but began to look more complex and each article required further searches as unfamilar terms being thrown about...If there's an easier option, I'm all ears!

kestrelspl 21 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Another vote for pixel. I'm on my third google phone (nexus 6p, pixel 2xl and pixel 5) and they've all been excellent. Good battery life, prompt updates (inlcuding monthly security patches which are important), great camera.

JackR 21 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I got my S10 a while back from MobilePhonesDirect for £10 less per month than my network offered, on my network, and all I had to do was get the number transferred. I even got my data/mins cheaper.

toad 21 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Anyone any experience of Fairphone? Heard a radio doc last week and was intrigued

In reply to Flinticus:

Hmm. I have a S10 and S20 5g and find them both super but it seems I'm in the minority.

gravy 22 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

google "samsung debloater tool" or similar. 

They basically simple scripts that jus make the changes for you via ADB.  I removed a remarkable amount of crap from my phone and the last I used had a handy check box list for all the bloat with sensible default settings.  It was very easy and I was amazed at the length of the bloat list (75% of which I didn't even know was there).

I think it took 10 minutes beginning to end.

Axel Smeets 22 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Have a look at OnePlus phones. 

I have the OnePlus 9 Pro having had Samsung Galaxy phones for years. Far less bloatware than Samsung and slightly better priced too. Very slick phone. Good reviews too. 

Babika 22 May 2021
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Hmm. I have a S10 and S20 5g and find them both super but it seems I'm in the minority.

Here's another vote for Samsung. I moved from an S6 to an S10 Galaxy and been very happy. Vast improvement. The camera is amazing just for point and click stuff never find the fancy bits. And it gobbles up as much stuff I want to load it with.

I never buy brand new - always refurbished or secondhand on ebay but they are usually unused, just someone's work phone they wanted to sell.

MarkH55 23 May 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Google Pixel 4a.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...