UKC

Amazon Flex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 28 Oct 2020

Has anyone here worked with Amazon Flex? Is there enough work, that pays enough, to cover having to shell out business tax for your car? 

OP aln 28 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

Bump

skog 28 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

I haven't, but a colleague (who lives in Bellshill) has been doing this since last Autumn; she has found it quite lucrative as a second job, and fairly easy to fit around her working hours (09:00-17:30 five variable days a week).

I think it depends where you live, and on the time of year - it'll probably be really good during the run-up to Christmas.

By 'business tax for your car' do you mean business-use insurance for your car? I think Amazon provide that as part of the deal, though it's probably wise to also check with your own insurer in case there are complications.

She knows other people that do it as part of a mix of different delivery jobs (e.g. Hermes), that probably complicates insurance.

Rob Kelly 28 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

Not sure what you mean by business tax for your car. As far as I was aware you are covered under their insurance for business use on your vehicle if your own insurance doesn't cover that. And you can claim tax relief on mileage/maintenance costs.

OP aln 28 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

It says on the website, "You will need to have business class 3 or commercial car insurance in the UK" 

In reply to aln:

Have you looked at how much business insurance would end up costing? I found it was surprisingly little when I had to add it for work - I think mine only added about £20 for the year, although my business mileage was only a thousand miles or so a year

Jenny C 28 Oct 2020
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Business cover for travel to different locations or meetings is in a whole different price bracket to business cover for transporting goods, for which you usually need a commercial policy.

Rob Parsons 28 Oct 2020
In reply to aln:

> Has anyone here worked with Amazon Flex?

All I can say is that the various completely-genuine employees depicted at https://flex.amazon.co.uk/why-flex appear to be having the time of their lives.

On the other hand, this person didn't rate it: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6023224/amazon-flex-driver-...

Post edited at 11:58
 Neil Williams 28 Oct 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

> Business cover for travel to different locations or meetings is in a whole different price bracket to business cover for transporting goods, for which you usually need a commercial policy.

Yep, it's business class 3.  Class 1 (policyholder) and class 2 (all named drivers) are more usual.

One thing I've noticed in MK is that there are an awful lot of Deliveroo/Uber Eats drivers who seem to be riding "bicycles" at 70mph.  I suspect this is to dodge paying for this (and thus while working they are uninsured).

As for those having bad experiences, I think we know enough about Amazon to know that they won't be thinking about the employee first.  Profits first, customer second, employee third - and in this case contractor fourth.

Post edited at 12:02
In reply to Jenny C:

Ah fair, I didn’t realise there was that distinction

OP aln 28 Oct 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

> As for those having bad experiences, I think we know enough about Amazon to know that they won't be thinking about the employee first. 

I've worked for them before in a 'fulfilment centre' and tomorrow I have an interview to do so again. So I have 1st hand experience, but I'm currently unemployed and I'd rather not be, so, needs must. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...