UKC

And the next winner of the Nobel Peace Prize is .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 03 Oct 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47568227

Well I never guessed that was coming... or is it. Does anybody else rank as a strong contender? Indeed is Climate Change about peace?

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Yes, of course it is.

Not sure about their maths. ‘If this 16 yr old wins - as she should- she’ll be the youngest since some 17 year old?!’

jcm

wintertree 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Indeed is Climate Change about peace?

No - but it’s the likely cause of war to a scale far beyond what we’re used to.

Luke90 03 Oct 2019
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Yes, very odd. You wouldn't imagine any journalist would be able to resist "youngest EVER".

I wondered whether she's currently 16 but due to turn 17 before the prize is awarded. Google suggests not though.

pasbury 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Can you think of any other contenders from the usual cadre of world leaders?

I can’t.

On the other hand if there was a Nobel Hate Prize the field would be wide open.

Post edited at 22:48
 jimtitt 04 Oct 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Can you think of any other contenders from the usual cadre of world leaders?

Abiy Ahmed.

kevin stephens 04 Oct 2019

> Yes, of course it is.

> Not sure about their maths. ‘If this 16 yr old wins - as she should- she’ll be the youngest since some 17 year old?!’

> jcm

Logical to me. The 17 year old was the youngest, now the 16 year old may be the youngest 

Pyreneenemec 04 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Climate autism-I'll get my coat.

In reply to kevin stephens:

You mean she’ll become the youngest ever which was formerly someone else?! That’s not what ‘the youngest since x’ means, surely?

jcm

Wiley Coyote2 04 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Please God, No. I'm sure I will go to Hell for saying this but no matter how worthy and important her campaign I am just sick of the bloody sight of her. If she gets the Nobel it will get even worse. Every time I turn on the tv it's either her lecturing me or sodding Johnson lying to me.  Aaaaarrrrrggggghhh

kevin stephens 04 Oct 2019

Unfortunately Journalists are not as precise with their language as lawyers or engineers. At least they didn’t sneak in a mis use of “epicentre “

Trevers 04 Oct 2019
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

> Please God, No. I'm sure I will go to Hell for saying this but no matter how worthy and important her campaign I am just sick of the bloody sight of her. If she gets the Nobel it will get even worse. Every time I turn on the tv it's either her lecturing me or sodding Johnson lying to me.  Aaaaarrrrrggggghhh

I see a lot of (mostly male) far right talentless hack journalists getting hysterically wound up over her and unable to respond without resorting to ad hominum attacks. She's doing something right.

HansStuttgart 04 Oct 2019
In reply to pasbury:

leaders of the protests in Sudan? Hong Kong?

Wiley Coyote2 04 Oct 2019
In reply to Trevers:

> I see a lot of (mostly male) far right talentless hack journalists getting hysterically wound up over her

Agreed. And they are part of the problem because it  all adds to the ubiquitous coverage. I've nothing against the lass and agree with much of what she says. I just wish the media would throttle back a bit and stick to covering important newsworthy developments like her UN speech instead of starting every sodding morning asking themselves 'What's today's Greta story?' rather than 'Is there a story today or should we cover something else?'

jimtitt 11 Oct 2019

I won

stevieb 11 Oct 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

> I won

4/1 at the bookies. Did you back yourself?

OP Sean Kelly 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I seem to recall my reaction to the New Zealand premier dealing with some terrorist outrage pretty well and displaying  true leadership qualities at the time.

PaulJepson 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

>  Indeed is Climate Change about peace?

Extreme weather events are often a catalyst for uprisings and war. 

There's a very solid argument that the problems in Syria stem from the drought. 

Whether that drought was caused by Climate Change is another argument. 

pasbury 11 Oct 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

> .

> Abiy Ahmed.

You should have put a fiver on that!

jimtitt 11 Oct 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Not much of a betting man but you're right

jimtitt 11 Oct 2019

Indeed is Climate Change about peace?

Since the IPCC and Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 the commitee obviously thought so.  And why GT had no chance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...