UKC

Anti immigration parties gain ground in Holland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 21 Mar 2019

Dutch populist vote costs centre right coalition losing its Senate majority. The forum for democracy party is anti EU as well as anti immigration. Dark times ahead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47648086

In reply to Gone for good:

"A proponent of Dutch-first cultural, social and economic policies, Baudet wants improved relations with Russia, opposes the euro, and has called for the Netherlands to leave the EU – although he has since said he will see how Brexit plays out first."

You have to hand it to Putin, he gets what he wants

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/21/anti-immigration-fvd-party-wi...

HansStuttgart 21 Mar 2019

the populist vote in NL has been fluctuating around 25% for at least a decade now. This one was bad, but not far from the average. Most of the FvD votes came from PVV (Wilders) and SP (far left). 

The other worrying feature is the continuation of political fragmentation. Small parties like the animal rights party and the 50+ pensioners party are gaining.

Gone for good 22 Mar 2019
In reply to HansStuttgart:

> The other worrying feature is the continuation of political fragmentation. Small parties like the animal rights party and the 50+ pensioners party are gaining.

They have a 50 + pensioners party? Sign me up....I'm in!

summo 22 Mar 2019

> The other worrying feature is the continuation of political fragmentation. Small parties like the animal rights party and the 50+ pensioners party are gaining.

What is wrong with choice? Go in the other direction you have a dictatorship. 

HansStuttgart 25 Mar 2019
In reply to summo:

> What is wrong with choice? Go in the other direction you have a dictatorship. 

Choice is great. But on the other hand, not much policy making gets done without the presence of parties. I think a cutoff at about 3-5% is useful. This way single-issue parties only get seat if their issue is supported by a reasonable part of the public.

summo 25 Mar 2019

> Choice is great. But on the other hand, not much policy making gets done without the presence of parties. I think a cutoff at about 3-5% is useful. This way single-issue parties only get seat if their issue is supported by a reasonable part of the public.

Of course but as per your comment on the other thread, you won't get rid of two party politics, without encouraging smaller parties to evolve. Those which are just too niche wiil die anyway or in the uk system lose their deposit. 

Moley 25 Mar 2019

> They have a 50 + pensioners party? Sign me up....I'm in!

Flipping right on, me too.

We could sort this country out, is reading the Daily Mail compulsory?

HansStuttgart 25 Mar 2019
In reply to summo:

> Of course but as per your comment on the other thread, you won't get rid of two party politics, without encouraging smaller parties to evolve. Those which are just too niche wiil die anyway or in the uk system lose their deposit. 

This is a good point. The German system handles this by giving parties which do not make the 5% required for parliament access to money and other state support so that they can evolve. And then they can be elected in other levels of the government where it is easy to get access. This is e.g. how the AfD came to the parliament.

Gone for good 25 Mar 2019
In reply to Moley:

> Flipping right on, me too.

> We could sort this country out, is reading the Daily Mail compulsory?

No, reading the Daily Mash is compulsory as well as the as Private Eye and the Spectator.  Just for balance. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...