UKC

Any Android music experts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 13 Feb 2013
At the moment my music is storred on a NAS box, which works fine and dandy. My PC and laptop use Windows Media Centre to play the music. I can choose single tracks, albums, artists or generas depending on my mood.

I would like to do the same thing with my Android phone and tablet but don't know how. Both devices can access the NAS box to view JPEGS, watch movies. I can also choose folders/albums to play music. However I want an ap with the same ability as WMC where I can access the NAS box and select my music as the mood takes.

The closedt thing that I have found is xbmc. It will access the NAS box but only gives me a list of available albums. Either I am a thicko, or this is all xbmc will do.

Is there an ap that will let me stream music if I chose to select album, artist or ganre?
Google.Play allows me to do this but only with MP3 files storred locally.
OP The Lemming 14 Feb 2013
In reply to iksander:

Thanks for the link but it wasn't what I was after.

The only thing that comes close to Windows Media Centre or the SONOS software is xbmc. It can see and access my music collection but only shows me the folders. Its just a fancy file browser. Either I'm a thicko with setting up media streaming from my wn NAS box or there isnt an android ap equal to WMC.

Cheers
 Dave Garnett 14 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Is this for listening to Kraftwerk?
 sammycolon 14 Feb 2013
I had the same setup as you but google music has been released and you can copy your entire NAS drive to that then you can have your music anywhere! the only problem is SONOS have not yet created a connector for it
In reply to Dave Garnett:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> Is this for listening to Kraftwerk?

Maybe, maybe not.

Do you have any idea how I can manage and listen to my music on a NAS box with Android?

I can't find an easy way other than simply opening a folder and playing the file. Not exactly very useful, especially when the track stops when I open another application.
 Dave Garnett 14 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Sorry, I'm an iPod person and I can barely cope with iTunes.
In reply to sammycolon:
> I had the same setup as you but google music has been released and you can copy your entire NAS drive to that then you can have your music anywhere!

From what I've read this morning, this means uploading your entire music collection to Google's servers?

I've got 88Gb of music. Seems a little extreme to have to upload that much music to the internet just so that I can listen to my music when its on my own home network.

Surely there has to be an Ap that is as good as Google.play, which is excellent, that can sort and play my music like WMP does?

sammycolon 14 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Ahhh! so you want the world lol! to be honest i dont know I just left my computer running uploading my music to the google servers. However I did use to use mediamonkey to organise all my music and to manage the database this may give you what you want.
In reply to sammycolon:
> (In reply to The Lemming) Ahhh! so you want the world lol!

Not really, I just want a music media app to access my home NAS box and not the Internet's cash-cow version.

I tried media-monkey but it kept crashing. Shame really as I liked using it on my PC.

I can get some media streamers to access my NAS box but they only work out as glorified file explorers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...