UKC

Anyone still doing Wordle?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Hore 27 May 2023

I am. Today was the first time the answer was a word I do not know. And it's not even in my "Shorter" (ie very long) Oxford English Dictionary - admittedly a 1972 edition. I'm calling foul on this one.

Martin

In reply to Martin Hore:

I wasn’t but now I’m intrigued. Will report back shortly!

john arran 27 May 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

It's US American for a type of noodles.

In reply to Martin Hore:

Wordle 707 4/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

To the OP (contains a clue):

Not a fan of Japanese food I’m guessing?

Jamie Wakeham 27 May 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

Based on what John said above I got that immediately; I don't think Americans will have struggled but plenty of Brits will. It's not a US spelling as such (eg favor), but it's certainly a word that's much, much more commonly used there than here.

If you don't frequent trendy noodle bars, and aren't an adherent of Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, then it's wholly possible never to have come across it.

In reply to john arran:

Interesting, I wouldn’t associate it with America and I can’t find any reference online to a possible American origin. What’s the theory behind that link?

Hooo 27 May 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

Indeed we are, there is a continuous thread devoted to it at https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/the_pub/wordle_e-759401

Where we can bitch about obscure Americanisms. I was fine with today's, but pissed off when I wasted time on SNAFU a while back.

Sean Kelly 27 May 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

Got it in 5 but totally unfamiliar to me also. This American influence no doubt.

john arran 27 May 2023
In reply to Stuart Williams:

I don't know how it came about, but when I was in the US in the 80s, "Top Ramen" (i.e. packet noodles with a powder packet of flavouring) held a similar status in the US as did Pot Noodle in the UK, though I think somewhat less maligned.

mbh 27 May 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

I  am very familiar with the word from numerous cookbooks and meals made. It is more than just a US American term.

In reply to john arran:

Anyone who has read any of the US books on Everest expeditions surely must know 'ramen', since it seems to be a major part of the base camp catering experience...

OP Martin Hore 27 May 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

Thanks everyone.

I guess I need to improve my grasp of culinary vocabulary.

Martin

In reply to john arran:

Oh interesting. I think it goes a lot further back in Chinese and Japanese cuisine but that makes sense as to why it might be more of a household term in the states. 

hokkyokusei 27 May 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

A perfectly cromulent word, down our way. 

Wordle 707 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

CameronDuff14 27 May 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

Most folk below the age of 25 will know what ***** is. Very very popular amongst students as it can be made absolutely dirt cheap and quickly.

Most city centres will have a few restaurants that serve it - I recommend trying it! The restraunt Wagamama's is very common and does nice *****.

OP Martin Hore 27 May 2023
In reply to CameronDuff14:

> Most folk below the age of 25 will know what ***** is.

That must be why I've never heard of it then!

Pedro50 27 May 2023
In reply to Martin Hore:

I'm 69  I got today's word in four and got SNAFU which caused localised apoplexy. 

Removed User 27 May 2023
In reply to john arran:

'Top Ramen' alive and well in my Yorkshire village coop...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...