UKC

Arsene gone - who to replace

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 20 Apr 2018

Now that Wenger is to leave at the end of the season who will take over?

Is this as much a poisoned chalice as the Man U job after Fergie left?

gavmac 20 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

Don't think it is a poisoned chalice really, Wenger's stock had decreased, whereas Fergie was still a legend. Hard to imagine Arsenal finishing worse off than this season, certainly in terms of points off the champions.

I fancy Benitez for the job.

overdrawnboy 20 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

Allardyce drafted in in Feb 2019 to rescue them from relegation.

Removed User 20 Apr 2018
In reply to gavmac:

It would be shame if Rafa left Newcastle but unless they change owner soon I wouldn't blame him and yes, he's once again proved himself to be a great manager.

gavmac 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Oh agree, he's shown class and talent in the way he's gone about it at Newcastle. Especially under that grubby crook Mike Ashley.

OP subtle 20 Apr 2018
In reply to gavmac:

Good shout with Rapha - what about another ex 'pool manager, Brendan Rodgers - has the experience and ability to deal in transfer market

Lusk 20 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

Get Fergie out of retirement and Arsenal win the League next season.
That would be having the last word and rubbing salt in the wounds!

gavmac 20 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

True and I reckon Brendan fancies another crack at one of the big jobs in England. I think he would only leave Celtic for any of the top 6.

OP subtle 20 Apr 2018
In reply to gavmac:

Indeed - and Brendan ain't going back to Liverpool - or stand a chance at either of the Manchester teams - so a great opportunity for him, otherwise he will be at Celtic for there 10 in a row which is in 3 years.

Would rather have Rodgers than Rafa - and def not Ancelote.

Would take Dyche as well though but think it would mean two seasons of upheaval before things settled down under him which may be too long to recover from.

Removed User 20 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

Another good suggestion. The trouble with Celtic is that there's only so much you can achieve with them and Brendan's pretty much done it. In Scotland you can win the league year after year but never be strong enough to win in Europe.

Perhaps a return to the EPL to manage a team who should be a major force in Europe would tempt him.

Ian W 20 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

In the UK Rafa would be the obvious one, and as a Newcastle supporter that would be very bad for us. However, there are a couple of very useful european managers that would be a good fit..Ancelotti, poss Vieira. 

Bellie 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Ian W:

I think a while ago the Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe was being mentioned in dispatches. 

Post edited at 14:45
In reply to subtle:

Poach Pep from City??

Ian W 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Bellie:

Must be a mouthwatering prospect for the likes of Howe. Obviously hugely talented, and with the facilities and funding in place at Arsenal.......

I suspect however they will go for someone with European experience and a proven track record. Which suits us black and whites. Unless Howe fancies moving north. 

Howe is now becoming the new Martin O Neill.......he's mentioned every time a vacancy comes up, however ludicrous the idea.

Post edited at 14:48
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Poach Pep from City??

Poach Poch from Spurs would be funnier

Simeone?

Bellie 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Ian W:

Its quite interesting that when you watch the Championship programme on ch5, it is predominantly English managers talking after the games. Then you switch to MOTD and Premier League and its European coaches in the main.

Whatever happened to David O Leary. He dropped out of the management game. Probably rich enough from all the pay offs.

In reply to subtle:

Bergkamp is a free agent now............

Bob Kemp 20 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Good shout with Rapha - what about another ex 'pool manager, Brendan Rodgers - has the experience and ability to deal in transfer market

One of the problems with Rogers at Liverpool was his transfer dealings - hence the 'transfer committee', hence him not managing players the transfer committee imposed upon him well... Plus a perennial issue was that he didn't have the cachet that top managers have, so couldn't persuade players to sign.

aln 20 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

Thanks. That's me updated on football I don't give a f*ck about but will have to chat about next week to my customers. 

LakeDistrictMountaineer 20 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

Diego Someone would be a good move for Arsenal and great to see him in the Premier League.

Big Steve 20 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

If Marco Silva hadn't acted so badly when Everton came sniffing around earlier this season then I think he would have been in with a good chance. I think he has blown his chances of a top job in Premier league

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...