UKC

Average age of Covid deaths

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 07 Aug 2020

Is significantly lower in USA than other developed nations.

Sadly to get to the end of this article you have to register, but interesting all the same, even just the beginning.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/06/24/when-covid-19-deaths-ar...

Andy Johnson 07 Aug 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Its only a short article - four paragraphs and a graph. The full text is readable at https://ucpnz.co.nz/2020/06/25/when-covid-19-deaths-are-analysed-by-age-ame.... It doesn't come to any real conclusion about why proportionally more younger people from the US are dying though. Younger media age and obesity are mentioned, but without any evidence either way.

It may be that poverty and access to health care play a part. Covid-19 seems to amplifying social factors related to healthcare, and the social contract in the US is clearly very different to the norm in Europe.

Post edited at 11:35
 DancingOnRock 07 Aug 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

11% of Americans have diabetes. 30m people, which is more people with diabetes in the US than all the other countries combined. 

Andy Johnson 07 Aug 2020
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> 11% of Americans have diabetes. 30m people, which is more people with diabetes in the US than all the other countries combined. 

That's a horrifying statistic.

A bit of searching turned-up a CDC press release (https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2017/p0718-diabetes-report.html) which says that not only do 33 million americans have diabetes, but an additional 84 million are also pre-diabetic. From the chart there may well be medical and social factors behind this that are related to ethnicity.

As far as I can tell, 4 million people in the UK have diabetes (mostly type 2 - obesity linked), which is 6% of the population.

Post edited at 12:03
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Probably. I don’t think that would be any great revelation though. 42% of Americans obese. 

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

People have been told for years to sort themselves out and lose weight before it’s too late. They always say ‘I’ll start tomorrow’.

Tomorrow has come. 

Post edited at 12:44
mattmurphy 07 Aug 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

What is interesting is that the mean age of people dying in the UK is 82.

Which is food for though given that the average life expectancy is 81.

In reply to mattmurphy:

Great thing about averages, they don’t tell you much. Someone dies at 100 and someone dies at 60...

In reply to girlymonkey:

Most Americans are portrayed as overweight and with a bad diet.  

Plus they bankrupt you for going to hospital don't they? 

The projections are saying 250 thousands dead by election day.

Post edited at 14:08
 Toerag 07 Aug 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I suspect it's because most of Europe locked down and kept their overall infection percentages low; thus the percentage of their infected which were the carehome deaths from the start is much higher.  The USA had the carehome deaths in NY at the start of their epidemic but have then continued to allow everyone else to get infected whilst protecting the elderly to an extent.  You can see this on the worldometer pages for places like France - the closed case death rates are massive compared to the live case serious percentage.

OP girlymonkey 07 Aug 2020

> 11% of Americans have diabetes. 30m people, which is more people with diabetes in the US than all the other countries combined. 

A very scary statistic indeed!

In reply to Toerag:

Except the UK didn't keep infections in any way low, we are worse than the US, yet our average age is older.

As others have mentioned, I suspect health inequalities play a huge part.

In reply to Toerag:

Excess deaths are what’s important. We’ve been signing off care home deaths like there’s no tomorrow. We know there’s a massive imbalance between PHE and ONS figures. 

In reply to girlymonkey:

We aren’t worse than the US in any metric. 

Roadrunner6 07 Aug 2020

I’d not be surprised if we hear about some genetic factor in this but I suspect obesity, poverty, lack of exercise are big factors.

so many of the kids I teach are in very poor shape physically.

Roadrunner6 07 Aug 2020
In reply to mattmurphy:

That’s probably mean life expectancy at birth. By the time you teach 70 your mean life expectancy will be about 85.

Roadrunner6 07 Aug 2020

> We aren’t worse than the US in any metric. 

You are. Per million of population graph isn’t good. Not sure if that’s cases or deaths.

Deaths per 100 000 inhabitants, UK is the highest

https://www.statista.com/chart/21170/coronavirus-death-rate-worldwide/

In reply to Roadrunner6:

I would look at it by State if I were you. You have whole states that haven’t even got started yet. Look at New York. That’s off the scale. 

Billhook 07 Aug 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

And in the UK the greatest number of deaths increases substantially over the age of 70 - 74 with the greatest number over 85+ 

And of those 91% already had some underlying condition such as heart problems, , dementia, cancer  and so on - all the 'normal' things that kill us all off in the end whether we do anything about it or not.  

So it looks like the mortality rates and age are much the same as they already are for the remaining population who do not die of Covid-19.  There's nothing we can do to prevent dying of old age either.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriage...

Roadrunner6 07 Aug 2020

It doesn’t matter. I’m just correcting you. No doubt there are worse areas but the U.K. are in no position to throw shade on another countries handling. It was the last country hit and was an international disgrace like the US.

TBF to New York City after a bad start they did very well to control it.

stevieb 07 Aug 2020
In reply to mattmurphy:

> What is interesting is that the mean age of people dying in the UK is 82.

> Which is food for though given that the average life expectancy is 81.

But in the early days of Covid, the estimated life years lost was 11 years. I’ve not heard an updated figure, but if that’s still true, that’s the difference between growing up with or without a grandfather. 

SAF 07 Aug 2020
In reply to Billhook:

> So it looks like the mortality rates and age are much the same as they already are for the remaining population who do not die of Covid-19.  There's nothing we can do to prevent dying of old age either.

And you can only die once, so it's possible that death rates in the older age groups will be down over the winter or next year (second wave dependent) due to an excess of this age group dieing over a short period this spring.

Roadrunner6 07 Aug 2020
In reply to SAF:

> And you can only die once, so it's possible that death rates in the older age groups will be down over the winter or next year (second wave dependent) due to an excess of this age group dieing over a short period this spring.

I'm not sure that's the case because such a small % were affected.

Billhook 07 Aug 2020
In reply to stevieb:

Well if you look at the website it appears to be much the same as the same period the year before.  So I'm not too sure about the 'estimated' 11 years of life lost on average.  

stevieb 07 Aug 2020
In reply to Billhook:

> Well if you look at the website it appears to be much the same as the same period the year before.  So I'm not too sure about the 'estimated' 11 years of life lost on average.  

What website? The ONS link you gave shows deaths significantly above the 5 year average for two months.

The 11 year figure seems a bit of a blunt instrument with insufficient factors,  https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.08.20050559v2, but it does show that when these people die, average national  life expectancy at that age is another 11 years. 

balmybaldwin 07 Aug 2020

And here we are with a government trying to let in their sh!t food

In reply to balmybaldwin:

I’m pretty sure they’re not. 

In reply to mattmurphy:

The thing is, life expectancy includes all the people who've died including those who died in childhood or through other premature causes of death. A woman reaching 82 is quite likely to live on into her nineties and have a pretty good chance of making it to 100. 

wintertree 08 Aug 2020

> That's a horrifying statistic.

You have to visit Florida to really appreciate it.  

Morbid obesity is so normalised in young adults that many restaurants have special toilets with reinforced bowls and oversized seats for the severely obese, and when a party with a severely obese person is shown to their table, the obese one remains standing and their chair is silently replaced with a wider, reinforced chair.  You see people in their 20s with zimmer frames due to obesity, and many have to sleep with oxygen lest the weight of flab in their necks choke them to death at night.  These were observations from an enforced family holiday in 1995 when I was a minor.  I haven’t been back since.

Go to California - big cities, regional non-tourist towns, mountain areas - and you’ll not see morbid obesity.  So the statistics DoR gave are a national average; but its concentrated largely in the south eastern states.  Which also have large sun-seeking retirement populations...

Billhook 08 Aug 2020
In reply to stevieb:

What Website -?? This one:-https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriage...

Which refers to deaths in THIS country and not the USA - the one you quoted the 11 year earlier deaths was the USA.  Sorry if I confused the issue!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...