UKC

Avoid pensions investing in Trump industries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 07 Jan 2021

How do I put pressure on my pension providers, to ensure that none of them invest in anything to do with businesses owned or connected to Donald Trump?

Obviously, this is in response to his agitating idiot right-wing supporters to chaotic violence and insurrection at the Capital yesterday. Pity that he was not shot, although you would not want him to be a martyr to the fools that follow him.

baron 07 Jan 2021
In reply to veteye:

> How do I put pressure on my pension providers, to ensure that none of them invest in anything to do with businesses owned or connected to Donald Trump?

> Obviously, this is in response to his agitating idiot right-wing supporters to chaotic violence and insurrection at the Capital yesterday. Pity that he was not shot, although you would not want him to be a martyr to the fools that follow him.

You’d hope that your pension providers would have enough financial sense not to invest in any business owned by Trump.

In reply to veteye:

I'd be surprised if they have. You hopefully won't be surprised to learn his "business empire" isn't quite as extensive as he makes out.

mondite 07 Jan 2021
In reply to baron:

> You’d hope that your pension providers would have enough financial sense not to invest in any business owned by Trump.

Yeah sod worrying about principles I would be dumping them for incompetence.

FamSender 07 Jan 2021
In reply to veteye:

Your pension provider doesn't care about who they invest with, they make bets over who will get the best return. For that reason it is unlikely they are investing in Trump businesses, But they could well invest in lots of other unethical firms, who probably get up to worse things due to sheer scale. 

Im not sure your provider will listen to your 'pressure' if it means making less money, thats literally what you use them for. Your only option is to switch to an 'ethical' pension provider.

Pete Pozman 07 Jan 2021
In reply to veteye:

> How do I put pressure on my pension providers, to ensure that none of them invest in anything to do with businesses owned or connected to Donald Trump?

As all his "businesses" are soon to be declared bankrupt I'd be very surprised if anyone legitimate is "investing" in them. He is largely kept afloat through acting as a fence for gangsters' money from Russia and Azerbaijan etc, and probably the actual Mafia. Even Deutsche Bank wants its money back. Of course the couple of hundred million he's just conned out of his base may keep him going for a little bit longer but anybody legit who's not completely out of their mind will be keeping their cash well away from the "commander in chief". 

dread-i 07 Jan 2021
In reply to FamSender:

>But they could well invest in lots of other unethical firms, who probably get up to worse things due to sheer scale. 

There is a big push into ESG: environmental, social and governance, in investing circles. You could ask about these funds, and also alternative energy funds. Trump is more into coal and oil, than wind farms and solar.

Timmd 07 Jan 2021
In reply to dread-i: A brother has been investing in those kinds of things. More predatorily, I suddenly wondered if any of Trump's assets might be going cheap soon, it went 'ping' in my head, I don't have the money (or ethics) to look into that though. I've been wondering about investing some of my student loan into something ethical, with it being extra money and me being able to live on the amount my benefits were.

Post edited at 15:02
 dread-i 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Timmd:

>I've been wondering about investing some of my student loan into something ethical, with it being extra money and me being able to live on the amount my benefits were.

Depends on what the interest on your loan is and if you think that there will be growth in alternative energy. You should be looking at ETF's, which are a bunch of companies under one wrapper, to spread risk. If after 3 or 4 years you make £X++ and your loan is only £X+, then you're laughing. I'd check out how that might impact any benefits. A loan may be seen as debt, but putting that into an ISA, might be seen as savings. I seem to remember if you have savings above a certain level, they will reduce or stop payments.

I'd avoid anything to do with trump and money. I suspect that a lot of people are going to want paying, after he leaves office (hello Deutsche Bank.) I'd expect that for the rest of his days, he'll be involved in law suits for historic crimes, or those committed in office and for money owed.

Mick r 07 Jan 2021
In reply to veteye:

Do you have any option with the provider into which funds your pension is invested in? My works pension is with Standard Life and even though 90% of employees just opt for the default one, you can chose from around 35 different funds in which to invest

Mick r 07 Jan 2021
In reply to dread-i:

> >I've been wondering about investing some of my student loan into something ethical, with it being extra money and me being able to live on the amount my benefits were.

> Depends on what the interest on your loan is and if you think that there will be growth in alternative energy. You should be looking at ETF's, which are a bunch of companies under one wrapper, to spread risk.

Take a look at

https://www.ii.co.uk/etfs/ishares-global-clean-energy-etf-usd-dist-gbp/LSE:...

Can invest from within a SIPP or an ISA

peppermill 07 Jan 2021
In reply to veteye:

If you're that worried about where your money goes try a SIPP through HL or whatever

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...