UKC

Back supports for driving

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 09 Jan 2018
Does anyone have experience with Backfriend? Or do you swear by something else?
 petegunn 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I haven't tried a "backfriend" but i have had one "made to measure" (just different back sizes) from a orthopedic place a number of years ago.
This was quite hard and found it ok on short journeys but painful on longer trips > 1hr.
I now use a cheap mesh one that i bought in B&M which is much better as i think it has more flex in it. Worth a try as only a few pounds, works for me.
 Dax H 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The back friend looks good and at that price I'm going to get one to try.
I currently use a mesh one that is real comfy and works well but it pushes me too far forward in to the wheel due to the level of bow in it.
 Welsh Kate 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've had a Backfriend for years, but don't need it for driving, I used if for a long time on my sofa, and then for a few months last summer when I had a recurrence of a back problem. I find it fairly comfy, and it's hard-wearing. There's a certain amount of adjustment available. Probably worth a punt - when I bought mine there was a 'money back if you're not satisfied' guarantee, don't know if they still do it?
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I tried adjusting the rearview mirror slightly higher, requiring me to sit a bit higher to see properly.
It subconsciously made me sit more upright in the seat which might help slightly and probably helps with posture.
 nniff 10 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I use a 'wobble cushion' - not so much in the car, but at my desk. You're supposed to sit on them, but they work really well as a back support - inflate to the appropriate size.
OP Rog Wilko 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks for all the replies.

Murderous_Crow 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

For the last few years I've used one of these, on and off:

http://shoft.co.uk/

Not a back support as such. It keep the lap portion of the seatbelt where it should be, over the hips, helping to prevent slouching. It's not a complete lock, and it does leave the upper seatbelt totally free to move, so from a practical point of view it doesn't hinder anything. I swear by it, especially for long drives. I find I need to re-tighten it by wiggling back in my seat and pulling up on the shoulder portion every hour or so.  

timjones 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Keeping the seat, steering wheel and mirrors all properly adjusted is far better than trying to compensate with other aids.

OP Rog Wilko 12 Jan 2018
In reply to timjones:

That's dependent on the car seats being firm enough. Many are much too soggy.

timjones 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've certainly encountered some saggy seats, but I'd sooner visit a scrappy for a decent seat rather than bodge it with an add-on back support.

Rigid Raider 12 Jan 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The seat in my Passat B8 is pretty comfortable and I drive with it raised to the highest possible position so as to give me a good view around the car and because I hate to see drivers lounging back in their seats, only just seeing over the wheel. I keep the backrest pretty upright but the lower back support cushion is a little too high in this model (was perfect in the B7 and B6) so I keep a piece of carpet underlay folded double into a pad about 12" x 4" by 1" thick, which sits at the bottom of the backrest and makes all the difference in supporting my lower back. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...