UKC

Bat detectors?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cb294 08 May 2019

Hi,

could anyone recommend me a good bat detector?

I need one for my son's school project, and I would rather spend some money on a proper detector with recording and sonogram options than waste anything on a cheapo heterodyne type toy detector. 

My favourite would be a used professional model, but unfortunately there appears to be nothing of interest on the standard auction sites or caving / bat enthusiast fora.

CB

Tigger 08 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

Has he had a good look in his utility belt? It might save you having to buy a new one.

Tringa 08 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

Can't recommend one but this place - https://www.nhbs.com/  - has quite a few. However, they sell them so, caveat emptor, but it might be worth talking to them.

Dave

Greylag 08 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

What about an EM Touch, they plug in to an iPhone / iPad and you can use the Kaleidoscope programme to analyse calls.

Could be a bit pricey though.

Stuart. 

88Dan 08 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

I can recommend the Magenta bat 4, but there is no recording function. If you want something for recording you are looking at spending £200-£2000 depending on how serious you are.

Dave the Rave 08 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

I bought the British Acoustic Technology ‘Belfry’ Model. It’s pricey at £500 but can differentiate all British bats and even tell you whether they are young, male or female or indeed healthy. 

cb294 09 May 2019
In reply to the thread:

Thanks for the advice, everyone! 

I am a biologist and would keep any detector for myself once my son has finished his project, so price is not the most important issue, it needs to be a detector not a toy.

At my old institute I used a handheld Anabat detector when running along with the guys from zoology, but it will be in use during the time so I cannot borrow it, and buying that one would definitely be above budget.

I already had considered an EM touch 2, possibly the pro version if I can get a used one somewehere.

Cheers,

CB

wercat 09 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

I don't know if there are any out there but I wonder if it is possible to get one with DSP technology.  Radio has been revolutionised by using a spectrum Waterfall display of frequency v time.  If you could get one that collected the ultrasound spectrum with the ability to download and display like that it would be rather interesting - would it work by if you did it by down conversion of the spectrum and feeding it into DSP software on a sound card?

Post edited at 09:50
cb294 09 May 2019
In reply to wercat:

There are apps you can use to process digital recordings of bat sounds, unfortunately the price of a decent ultrasonic microphone is roughly the same as the full detector setup. 

The top alternative to the EM touch that I am considering actually is a USB ultrasonic microphone like the Dodotronic Ultramic coupled to an app for frequency conversion (for live identification) and recording (for documentation) running on a tablet.

CB

jonny taylor 09 May 2019
In reply to 88Dan:

I can vouch for the Magenta ones - good value and seem to be reliable and effective

cb294 09 May 2019
In reply to jonny taylor:

Thanks, but apparently they are all heterodyne detectors without sonogram recording option , so not quite what I am after.

CB

cb294 09 May 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Based on your "likes" I seem to be the only person not getting the joke. Probably my age showing, but would you mind explaining? 

CB

Tigger 09 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

Ah just a poor reference to Batman and his utility belt. In the 1960's TV series he seemed to have the most random things in it, 'bat-spray' 'the bat swatter' ,bat-kerchief', to name a few.

wercat 09 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

I've got a friend who develops DSP applications and hardware - usually radio related - I might see if he's ever thought of widening his scope ...

Philip 09 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

The best reply is the EM Touch, which now has Android support. It's a very cheap way of getting that facility. I'm going to get one - I only have a het detector I build a few decades ago.

cb294 10 May 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Thanks!

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...