UKC

bbq smoker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 18 Jul 2021

Definitely need a UKC foodie forum.

A few years ago, my parents bought us a BBQ with a smoker. It is brilliant. Tonight we had smoked venison haunch and smoked squash and beetroot alongside the normal BBQ. It was so good. Not much of a story, just that it was super tasty and smokers are well worth it!

Mike-W-99 18 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Sounds great, like a bit of smoked food. Do you have close neighbours and does it annoy them?

In reply to girlymonkey:

I no longer ever grill stuff on the BBQ, I have been spoilt so much by smoking stuff that I smoke basically everything. The turning point was when I smoked pork ribs low and slow for the first time and realised that I did not need to pay Red's 12 quid or whatever for that anymore. 

In reply to Mike-W-99:

The amount of smoke released isn't dramatic enough for it to do so in my experience. Smoke from lighting coals that are not fully dry etc. is far more disruptive than wet wood chip smoke.

Post edited at 22:17
 girlymonkey 18 Jul 2021
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Neighbours not super close and both sides really chilled. The nearest one is a guy on his own who doesn't use his garden much anyway and is very chilled about everything. The other side is round the corner, and the bit of garden they mostly use most is the far side from us. There are sheds and a fence between the gardens and their sitting area is at the back of their house so would need a very unusual wind to reach them. 

MonkeyPuzzle 18 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

It's amazing what you can do with a smoker, some fatty, cheap meat, some wood chips and salt and pepper.

American Southern-style barbecue is brilliant but the best I've managed was a porchetta which was just insanely delicious.

It's just the best. Unfortunately a veggie wife and a pandemic have mothballed it for a while.

Hardonicus 19 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've only got a kettle and live with a house full of vegetarians, but my guilty Youtube pleasure is watching Southern US blokes built like houses fawning over offset smokers. One day...

girlymonkey 19 Jul 2021
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Smoked squash is brilliant too! We also once smoked some chickpeas and made smoked houmous which was also amazing. 

In reply to girlymonkey:

On a semi-related note, in that it is smoky even though it only uses the coals and not the smoker, proper baba ganoush is where it's at:

Put 2-3 large aubergines directly in the coals. No need for any foil or anything. Leave them until they look really rather incinerated, they have too much water to actually burn inside. Cut them open, scoop the now super condensed flesh out, making sure to get as much of the yellowed flesh near the skin as possible, mix with an onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, lemon juice, a lot of olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper and vigorously mix with a fork..

If the aubergines are ready, the flesh will be falling apart. If it's still firm it's not the end of the world, use a blender, the flavour won't be as strong but you will get more product out of it.

Post edited at 09:14
 MonkeyPuzzle 19 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

That does sound amazing. I've a kind of little spiral maze thing for filling with wood chips for cold smoking. You light it at the outside, stick it in the base of your unlit smoker and it slowly burns around and through the wood chips in about eleven hours. Done butter, cheese, vegetables, onions and peppers for salad, garlic, chillies, it's really fun.

In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

How well does that thingie work? I've been looking at those for years but the cost has put me off, so I've been sticking to hot smoking.

MonkeyPuzzle 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Alkis:

For doing a couple of dinner plates worth of stuff they're perfect. One go gets a nice light smoke on and a second a reasonably heavy smoke. Done in my case on two shelves in a bullet-type smoker.

Seconds to set up, so definitely worth the effort, although I can't remember how much I paid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...