UKC

Bear Ghylls-Brilliant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have never watched his programmes before.
And last nights programme was very funny.

So he pretends to be a 'tourist lost somewhere in the alps'.

what kind of tourist in the alps sky dives from a helicopter in to the middle of nowhere? with no gloves and crappy boots.

Then he goes fishing on a frozen pond with fishing hooks that realy did look like fishing hooks, but were made from the wire in his parachute harness!
Then he actualy catches one fish and states that its best to sever the fishes spinal cord to kill it! I would have though smashing its head agains the ice would have been much better than the method he chose...bite straight through its spine above the head, hahahahah bet he had a gob full of bones ( unless the chef had already taken then out).

Then later on he makes some snow shoes and produces a brand new swiss army knife to do some chopping with, whay didnt he use the knife to gut the fish??? Oh and he also cut his finger, later on his finger had a plaster on it.

The continuity was also very funny (read- crap) as his rucksack kept going missing then reappearing plus his change of clothes.
After jumping in to the frozen pond he strips off and tries to get his fire going again then does some press ups to keep warm. Absolutely brilliant hahahaha.

Did he realy eat those maggots??? me thinks not but it was so dramaticaly funny.

The cable across the gorge was hilarious especially when he fell off revealing 2 karrabiners attaching him to the ropes which he quickly tried to cover with his hands while the camera when out of shot, pure classic comedy.

Im really looking forward to the next time its on, I have never used so much bad language in between laughing at a very clever man who hams it up to the max, proving himself to be the master of comedy ham adventure hero TV programming.

Brilliant, Ray Mears could learn a thing or two, like no more hand made canoes please Ray.

Mark H
Clauso 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Snowdonia Adventures:

Bear Grylls is appalling, just appalling. His show is to outdoor pursuits what It's a Knockout was to the Olympics.
 Flying Monkey 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Clauso:
His show's are hilarious in their self-dramatisation but he is pretty to look it so all is forgiven
ceri 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Snowdonia Adventures: this was a repeat. there was a huge thread about it last time it was on. and yes, most people agreed with you!
In reply to Clauso:
Oh come on, its either a brilliantly scripted programme designed to take the mickey, my opinion.

Or it really is a serious take on extreme survival which has hoplessly failed, not my opinion.

I think he has hit a nice little slot in between Iolo Williams, Bill Odie and ray Mears. The guy is nearlt from a Marvell comic.
Great stuff
Clauso 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Flying Monkey:
>
> ... but he is pretty to look it so all is forgiven

You're absolutely correct, of course. That's where Ray Mears lets himself down... After all, what's the point of being able to light a fire underwater, using only the elastic from your undies and a bent spoon, if you don't look good while you're doing so?

Ray really ought to book himself in for a decent haircut, a nose job and a few tanning sessions.
In reply to ceri:
A repeat?????? Im gutted to have missed it first time, so I could watch it again this time and still have a laugh.

Is the whole series a repeat? I thought it was a new series this time round?
Ste Brom 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Clauso:

Its not bear grylls i cant stand (which i think is great) but the friggin adverts...

I mean, if your mate turned up to the crag with a can of deodorant slipped onto a harness full of SHINY top notch gear....hes the real tw*t of the peace.
 jkarran 24 Apr 2007

It's the first time I'd seen it too. Very funny indeed but it made no sense at all if you sat and thought for a second. Why eat the fish whole, why not fillet it if you have a knife? Where did his firewood come from when he jumps through the ice moments after a shot of the treeline miles down valley? Why not use his parachute for a decent windproof shelter? Why run everywhere risking a bad fall?

Crazy but good entertainment.

jk
prana 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Snowdonia Adventures: i also liked the conveniently placed hand holds chipped in the ice to pull himself out of the water, and his oh so intentional and overdramatic failure at first attempt (head goes under, flailing arms-lol) youtube.com/watch?v=tCEwKgSkt94&

he seems always to choose the most dangerous way
of getting out of danger (eg climbing down a waterfall to avoid dense vegetation)
Clauso 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Ste Brom:
>
> Its not bear grylls i cant stand (which i think is great) but the friggin adverts...

You're joking, right? Bear Grylls hams everything up to the extreme... And what is it with his eating insects and grubs? Christ, I'm just waiting for him to start tucking into dung. In the last programme that I saw, he came across some coyote crap and I really thought that he was going to chew it... Also, just what has he got against fish? He seems to make a point of catching 'um and killing 'um in the grisliest ways he can think of. I hope that God's a fish. That'll learn the bastard.
Ste Brom 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Clauso:
its sushi eau natrel man.

nah, hes great, doesnt feck about; besides, id rather have his job than sitting here counting my anal lice. which he'd eat.

probably.
In reply to Clauso:
Jeez, I was only kidding!

Clauso 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Flying Monkey:
>
> Jeez, I was only kidding!

I know. Keep yer knickers on... So was I.
 Shani 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Ste Brom)
> [...]
>
> You're joking, right? Bear Grylls hams everything up to the extreme... And what is it with his eating insects and grubs? Christ, I'm just waiting for him to start tucking into dung.

I am sure I once saw him in "Eddie Rockets" in Dublin - in which case he would be more than capable of eating dung!

There is an obvious jealousy on UKC regarding Bore Grylls. If any UKCers were tourists who had parachuted in to the alps/jungle/desert with nothing but a water bottle, watch, knife and a can of Lynx, you would all be wishing that Bear and his camera crew were with you - or more importantly Bear's "survival expert"....erm...yes....quite...
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Flying Monkey)
> [...]
>
> I know. Keep yer knickers on... So was I.

<pulls knickers back on> Errr
Clauso 24 Apr 2007
In reply to Shani:
>
> I am sure I once saw him in "Eddie Rockets" in Dublin - in which case he would be more than capable of eating dung!

Lol! ... I think that I saw Craig Doyle out jogging, last night. I was in my car and narrowly missed him as I was turning right. I won't make the same mistake if he's there again tonight.
 TMM 24 Apr 2007

It's a 'new' series for the Discovery Channel but the same series has been running for over a month on Channel 4.

Bear's instructional programme is an inspiration. His inspired decision making in life and death situations is testament to his hard years in Britain's elite Special Forces.

I am sure that many lives will be saved through the watching of this outstanding series.

Once the series finishes I hope that Bear and his team will turn there attention to other pressing matters where is his skills might prove invaluable.

I cannot believe how such a sincere, honest and telegenic guy gets such a lot of stick from the UK Climbing community, shame on you.
grynneman 24 Apr 2007

To his credit, Harry Hill has taken the mickey out of him every week on his TV show, and Bear turned up on the last episode and sang "Bear Necessities" with him...which was nice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...