UKC

Bear Grylls - Not quite so rugged after all?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonfun21 23 Jul 2007
This was in my daily news summary at work:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=470155&in_page_id=17...

Beginning to lose all faith in TV, next someone will find out that Postman Pat isn't real and ruin my 10 year search to find Greendale on an OS map
Nick B not logged on 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21: What does the article say Jon, I self censor and don't click on Daily Mail links.
OP jonfun21 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Nick B not logged on: Basically it is alleged that he stayed in hotels and had things constructed for him.

With you on the Daily Mail front, just happened to be in the e-mail from work, telegraph link below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/23/ngrylls123.xml
Gorrilla 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:

no surprise
In reply to jonfun21:

I'm surprised that people actually think it's real!
 Graeme 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:

> Beginning to lose all faith in TV, next someone will find out that Postman Pat isn't real and ruin my 10 year search to find Greendale on an OS map

Greendale is real look:
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=313000&Y=505000&width=700&hei...
 Wibble Wibble 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:

What a surprise.

At least fatty Mears had the front to admit on screen he was off to a nearby lodge for pies, whilst the British and Norwegian Marines were eating digested moss from reindeer stomachs, in his Heroes of Telemark programme
 Eric9Points 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:

My 13 year old could see through this guy. I remember him making sarcastic comments about the boat building scaene where macho man "luckily" finds just the right sort of tree washed up on his deserted beach allowing to make the necessary bindings for his craft.

Aye, right.

I wonder about the other bloke, Ray Meads (?). I note a lot of "..and here's one I constructed earlier episodes on his programmes, but I always got the feeling he did know what he was talking about.
Mr Rain 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Eric9Points:

Ha ha ha

Well, there you go!

Eton boy is clever, poshing it up in Hotels.

He cashed in successfully. Like I might argue so many in ' TV celebs' . Clever though, even if a 13 year old can see throught it, he did it , and got away with it for long enough....

Who was behind him and had the ideas, there is usually 'someone behind the mask'

Where is his crediability now? And does it matter?

Go Bear Go!
KevinD 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:

> Beginning to lose all faith in TV, next someone will find out that Postman Pat isn't real

but he is, he posts on here.
 Steve Parker 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:

I heard recently that Gordon Ramsay doesn't even do all his own swearing.
 summo 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Steve Parker:
> (In reply to jonfun21)
>
>" I heard recently that Gordon Ramsay doesn't even do all his own swearing."

I think that's the whole point of it, these are TV presenters. Who does Alan Titmarsh's garden when he always on the road on TV, but never a weed in sight?

They only present the information, if you believe that it is all their own work then great, the producers will be happy.

These programmes have loads of researchers and prop makers, look at the credits and end, then you will see the size of the team that they use to create the information which is presented.
 Toby S 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Eric9Points:

I've done one of Mears' courses and can confirm that the guy really knows his stuff. I learnt a hell of a lot from it.
 Wibble Wibble 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Toby S:

Well clearly he must be if he maintains a gut like that on a diet of squirrels, acorns and moss.
Carpe Diem 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:

and there's me thinking it was all real too.

Im gutted now.

Dave Murphy 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:

lol

saw his book on the everest climb in the libarary, it was called "Facing up"

i put ti back on the shelf it looked like all the other recent everest books.

Maybe he needs to think about

Fessign Up now
In reply to Ridge:
>
> I'm surprised that people actually think it's real!

So am I. TV is primarily about providing entertainment. A show like that is inevitably going to be choreographed to an extent.
 Fume Troll 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell: Me too.

Cheers,

FT.
OP jonfun21 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Fume Troll: Raises an interesting point though, at what point does something become a "factual" programme and the level of editorial control and standards are higher?

For example, Planet Earth is a factual programme you wouldn't expect the BBC to make up things about species etc. A drama such as Casualty is clearly not real.

Where does that leave a documentary about 3 people taking a trip somewhere?? Guess what is coming out is that these types of programme have lower editorial thresholds and should be treated as more akin to "editorials" within newspapers.
 Digger 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:

Well, you say that, but I know that certain 'factual' natural history documentaries have sound created by people in basements in Bristol scrunching paper and the like.

I used to share a flat with one of the paper scrunchers.

In the end it's all pretty much entertainment. As most have said, anyone who believed those Bear Grylls programmes has it coming. Harry Hill had his card marked long before the Daily Mail.
birdman 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:

Have to say, i'm a little disapointed. I was actually looking forward to a slightly more racey version of Mears. Sky diving into places etc, all good stuff (for the viewer) and there was definitely more adrenaline junkie apeal when compared to mears. Getting a meal sorted, mears would carefuly build a fire with oak chippings and gnetly roast this salmon (which for the record looked fantastic and i hate fish!) where as bear would just rip in to this fish and eat it.. Which is the more realistic i will leave for you to decide.

Two different sides to survival, Mears on the bushcraft arts, making a spoon out of a twig etc and Bears version where you just eat the bloody thing with your hands invariably still alive.

Don't get me wrong it was rather obvious or "convenient" that certain things occured with Bear, but at the end of the day, i want to see him make a raft and nearly get eaten by tiger sharks... thats why i sit in front of the tv (rarely i might add).

At least Mears had the modesty and respect to say " sod this for a game of soldiers i'm off to eat some pies in a lodge", its not as if he was giving us the impression that he was a "born survivor", which i think is where Bear has been caught out especially retreating to exlusive lodges etc etc.

Lets face it, when we are being decieved even on national news (BBC forced to appologise to the Queen) is it really suprising that others are being somewhat economical with the truth?
 Peakpdr 23 Jul 2007
In reply to birdman: bloody hell man my god like hero has just gone to a snob like zero i think i will become a harry potter fan now
 Glyn Jones 23 Jul 2007
In reply to pauldr:
> (In reply to birdman) bloody hell man my god like hero has just gone to a snob like zero i think i will become a harry potter fan now

very good!
 Al Evans 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:
> Beginning to lose all faith in TV, next someone will find out that Postman Pat isn't real and ruin my 10 year search to find Greendale on an OS map

http://www.greendale.org.uk/conatctus.html

hutchm 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

That's nothing - I keep looking for Emmerdale in the Yorkshire Grit guide and on OS maps - but no sign. I'm beginning to think they made the place up.
In reply to Wibble Wibble:
> (In reply to Toby S)
>
> Well clearly he must be if he maintains a gut like that on a diet of squirrels, acorns and moss.

That's what i always think.

Maybe there's ghosts of early men and women looking down at him and cursing that they hadn't thought of some of the things he does?

'Look at that,i wish i'd thought of that,i wouldn't have felt hungry all winter.'
In reply to Wibble Wibble: And they're annoyed because it's too late to do anything about it.

Cheers
Tim
 simonty1 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21:
There was a article on Survival by Chris Ryan he of bravo two zero fame in a newspaper that Bear Grylls was not even in the sas as far as he knew only teritorial.
Wonder about Ray Mears now he looks like he doesnt miss too many meals either or sleepless nights.
 Lamb 23 Jul 2007
In reply to jonfun21: No surprise at all, I watched one of his programs and for the first five minutes thought it was a mickey take of good old ray mears, then soon realised that i was supposed to be taking this seriously. I read an interview with Chris Ryan shortly after Bear Grylls* appeared on "Friday Night with Jonathon Ross" and when asked about Grylls's time in the SAS, he pointed out that Grylls was not in the SAS but in actual fact was only in the TA! Ok the guy has probably done some pretty coll stuff, but come off it Bear, you have got to be kidding...
 Lamb 23 Jul 2007
In reply to lamb: *Bear Grylls-is that actually his real name?
 Ian McNeill 23 Jul 2007
In reply to hutchm:
Emmerdale
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan-turnbull/emmerdale.htm
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/13960/

"Yes, Bear Grylls once broke his back. It happened when he parachuted into Africa and he trekked 700 miles and fought an entire pride of lions using only a knife, a plastic bag, and half a hersheys bar. He killed them all without even being touched but then tripped on a root."
In reply to Timmd:

> (In reply to Toby S)
>
> Well clearly he must be if he maintains a gut like that on a diet of squirrels, acorns and moss.

That's what i always think.

I don't think that in an unkind way though.

Cheers
Tim

smithy 23 Jul 2007
In reply to simonty1:

>There was a article on Survival by Chris Ryan he of bravo two zero fame in a newspaper that Bear Grylls was not even in the sas as far as he knew only teritorial.

They're both puffs, should've joined the navy!!

Toby S 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Wibble Wibble:
> (In reply to Toby S)
>

And?

I don't see what his weight has to do with anything. I don't think he's ever pretended to be anything he's not, unlike a certain Mr Grylls. The man has vast knowledge on bushcraft and all folk can do is comment on his weight. Bizarre.
 Hardonicus 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Toby S: A guy I know did one oh his courses in wait for it...SURREY.

How the feck can you NOT survive a night out in the open in Surrey. Few pints of 6X and fall in a bush. Cost him about 300 quid, and Ray Queers only popped down for about an hour apparently!!!!!!!
Flaming_climber 23 Jul 2007
In reply to simonty1:
> (In reply to jonfun21)
> There was a article on Survival by Chris Ryan he of bravo two zero fame in a newspaper that Bear Grylls was not even in the sas as far as he knew only teritorial.

There is an TA SAS. So he still could have been in the SAS only as a part time soldier. But i have never been fond of Bear Grylls.

Lamb 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Flaming_climber: You have to be in the SAS proper to claim that you have been in the SAS, I would like to see proof about this TA SAS because I am finding it hard to believe, to be in the SAS you have to be at the top of your game in the Royal Marines before you are picked for the SAS, so to be part time in the SAS sounds like bull to me, just like most of the stuff Grylls comes out with.
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to Wibble Wibble)
> [...]
>
> And?
>
> I don't see what his weight has to do with anything. I don't think he's ever pretended to be anything he's not, unlike a certain Mr Grylls. The man has vast knowledge on bushcraft and all folk can do is comment on his weight. Bizarre.

I think his bushcraft is really impressive.

Cheers
Tim

In reply to lamb:
> (In reply to Flaming_climber) You have to be in the SAS proper to claim that you have been in the SAS, I would like to see proof about this TA SAS because I am finding it hard to believe,

Here
http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/special_forces_soldier_reserve_/sas/index.htm SAS reserves
 Lamb 23 Jul 2007
In reply to Flaming_climber: This is no way proper SAS, it says that anyone can apply even with no prior military backgroung and within 12 months you will have finished your training, I cannot see how a regular Joe Bloggs off the street can be trained within 12 months into a battle hardened SAS guy?
In reply to lamb: Its still SAS Reserves. Granted they may not be as good as the real SAS, but they are still TA SAS.
In reply to lamb:

I've noticed that lots of ex TA guys claim to be ex-SAS and they are usually idiots. I think it diminishes the reputation of the whole Army.
I would expect genuine SAS people to be more diplomatic about it.
 Mick Ward 23 Jul 2007
In reply to smithy:
> (In reply to simonty1)
>
> >There was a article on Survival by Chris Ryan he of bravo two zero fame in a newspaper that Bear Grylls was not even in the sas as far as he knew only teritorial.
>
> They're both puffs, should've joined the navy!!

I am assured (by those who know) that Chris Ryan is brick hard.

Mick
 simonty1 24 Jul 2007
In reply to Flaming_climber:
Bit like a part time "Born Survivor" then when the cameras roll he is Rambo.
Total honestly I bet they all do it Ray Mears looks like a creature of comfort.
Anyhow even if its all rubbish for god sakes it better than that pile of dribble "Big Brother" you sure wont learn out from that except that birth control should have been enforced by the parents of those lot.
How about Bear Grylls Vs Big Brother get him in his sas black gear few grenades some plastic explosives and a silenced pistol,sneak in blow that place up then who cares if he retreats to the Hilton (not paris!) for a pint job done
In reply to lamb:
> (In reply to Flaming_climber) This is no way proper SAS, it says that anyone can apply even with no prior military backgroung and within 12 months you will have finished your training, I cannot see how a regular Joe Bloggs off the street can be trained within 12 months into a battle hardened SAS guy?

Tell you what, why not join up and see?
For the record, Mr Grylls has apparently never been in the SAS, be it reserve or regular.

Lamb 24 Jul 2007
In reply to Ridge: What is your stance on this, do you agree that TA SAS is no way proper?
In reply to lamb:

I met members of 23 in Bosnia in the late 90's and apart from being noticably older than average they seemed to be getting on with the job. Obviously the level of training is compromised due to the short timescale, as it is with any TA soldier. That said a large proportion of the troops in Iraq at the moment will be TA or reserves, and I'm not hearing any complaints about them. There's some crap TA soldiers, but there's some equally crap regulars, who don't have the excuse of being part timers. I've no idea what the selection process for TA SAS is like, but I wouldn't criticise them out of hand.
As regards Mr Grylls, looking at his website he must have done selection as a foetus to pack all that it his 'career'.
 Jamesclimb 25 Jul 2007
In reply to Ridge: Ditto. I have only watch about 10 minutes of one program with him on and switched channels because it seemed fake.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...