UKC

Berlin - Lads Weekend, without climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drunken monkey 07 Mar 2012
Hi guys,

Off on a stag doo this weekend to Berlin. Flying into Schoenefeld Airport from Glasgow. Got Fri night, Sat, and Sunday to do stuff.

Staying here:

http://www.plushostels.com/plusberlin

Any recommendations for things to do during the day and night on the Sat? Thought about taking in a football match but Hertha Berlin are away from home. Obviously looking to taste some fine German beer etc.
 Stanners 07 Mar 2012
In reply to drunken monkey:
Lived in Munich for a bit. Go to whats known as a "ratskeller" - and appreciate the weissbeer, mouth watering food and extremely attractive 20-25 year old girls serving you. Let them know your English and get them to lean over you as you point at what you want from the menu! Enjoy, Germany is awesome! Ratskeller's arent cheap but worth every penny (cent).
In reply to Stanners: Cheers mate, will check it out.

Any other must do's?
 Dave 88 07 Mar 2012

We rented bicycles in the day and did a tour of the city (obviously with pit stops at various watering holes along the way) it was good banter. We rented them from a place at the foot of the big spire with the ball on top.

There's an absynth bar somewhere but we never found it. We did however end up in a gay club with a working flamethrower mounted on the bar.
In reply to Dave 88: We are thinking of hiring one of these:

http://www.bierbike-berlin.de/
 Sam_in_Leeds 07 Mar 2012

That looks awesome!

Until I saw the price tag

Dave 88 07 Mar 2012

That would certainly eliminate the need for pit stops!
strathlubnaig 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners: Maybe he's no English
 McGuinness 07 Mar 2012
In reply to drunken monkey: Try to get into Berghain... Doesn't get much better.
 mariechen 07 Mar 2012
In reply to Stanners:
> (In reply to drunken monkey)
> Lived in Munich for a bit. Go to whats known as a "ratskeller" - and appreciate the weissbeer, mouth watering food and extremely attractive 20-25 year old girls serving you. Let them know your English and get them to lean over you as you point at what you want from the menu! Enjoy, Germany is awesome! Ratskeller's arent cheap but worth every penny (cent).

Hm, you might struggle to find those in Berlin. If you want Weißbier and the Bavarian experience, there are a few Hofbräuhaus places:

http://www.hofbraeuhaus-berlin.de/
http://linden-hopfinger-braeu.de/

They are rather touristy, but I've been to the one by the Potsdamer Platz where you can (sort of) see how the beer is brewed as the brewing kettle is bang in the middle of the place which adds character. Decent food too. Mind, you'll be able to get strange creations like Weißbier and banana juice in most bars I would have thought.

If the weather is nice you could consider a boat tour or those bike sightseeing tours seem quite popular. Not much sightseeing on a beer bike, but apt for the occasion...

Oh yeah, and (unfortunately) English menus are pretty much standard in restaurant-type places
 Banned User 77 08 Mar 2012
In reply to drunken monkey: Titty twister...

Basically coyote ugly, but the drink is poured down your neck by great looking women for free.. awesome night..

We were based in alexanderplatz.. great beer, loads of sausages, great looking women, stag do heaven.. the beers can be strong so you have to be careful.. may be do some research on bars, it took us a while to work it out as Berlin doesn't have a central area really. We had a great time in the end.
 Tim Davies 08 Mar 2012

Topography of terror.

That'll take your minds off your hangovers.

Little Brew 08 Mar 2012
In reply to drunken monkey: a must for the hangover cure is a Curryworst, there are stops at all the major and some minor train stations. we did the open top bus tour, fab and very interesting, and the ticket is for 48 hours. on our return in October we plan on going up 'The tower with the ball on top' that will be the Berlin TV Tower in Alexanderplatz. and if you get chance while your there just by the Brandenburg gate, next to the American and British embassy, is the Holocaust Memorial.
 innesmac 08 Mar 2012

I went on one earlier this year, BEER BIKE!!! great way to take in the city and sites.
 Milesy 08 Mar 2012
In reply to McGuinness:
> (In reply to drunken monkey) Try to get into Berghain... Doesn't get much better.

Try is the operative work...

Also visit the wall obviously.

The squat scene is really good as well. We spent a night in Tacheles which was great. http://super.tacheles.de/cms/
 Axel Smeets 08 Mar 2012

Stag do in Berlin. Good memories from 2007.

Don't do what I did though and get so leathered that you can't see that the 'girl' you've been chatting up for 30mins is actually a man. Check for the Adam's Apple.

I still get grief for that today (and rightly so).
Thanks for all the great replies guys.

I've been recommended the area "mitte" for nightlife. Anyone confirm this?

Seen mixed reviews about Berghain, and apparently its pretty difficult to get in...

Hofbrauhauses sound great. Really looking forward to it, hope it goes well
 sgl 08 Mar 2012
You won't get into Berghain on a stag. Not a chance - unless you plan it out meticulously. Space yourself out in queue - 2 max, don't speak, don't make it look like you're in a group, go at 7am on Sunday morning, don't be wasted - all very unlikely on a stag do. Absolutely amazing though...
In reply to sgl: Aye, thats what I thought. Not something I cant be arsed with on a stag doo.

I plan to be rinsed by 3am anyway, so aint queuing up to get told to "poke off" in German.
Ian Black 08 Mar 2012
In reply to drunken monkey: I was their for 6 weeks Al when the wall was up and thoroughly enjoyed what I can remember of it. Can't really recomment where to go etc, as it was a long time ago, but you'll have a great time. If you go and watch Hertha you could always get a collection going for our Scottish brethren as liquidation looms.

Ian.
myth 08 Mar 2012
In reply to drunken monkey: Word of warning. The german bouncers hate groups of lads. I was with a group of 7, 4 girls 3 lads and we still struggled to get in anywhere. We had to go in in pairs.
 Milesy 08 Mar 2012
> (In reply to sgl) Aye, thats what I thought. Not something I cant be arsed with on a stag doo.
>
> I plan to be rinsed by 3am anyway, so aint queuing up to get told to "poke off" in German.

Mitte area in general is good. No way more than a few of you will get into berghain even if well planned. Not worth the hassle if you want to stay together.

We stayed in the wombat hostel and there was a regular club near it called the White horse or White rhino or White something or another. Was a good laugh with a group of guys.

Nice bars on oranienstrasse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...