UKC

Berlingo pre or post 2008?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wilsonrobj 08 Jul 2020

I’m looking to buy a Berlingo to use with one of the simple camper-conversion boxes in the back. 

Have seen that the post 2008 models are a little bit bigger. Does anyone know whether the extra space is worth it or makes a difference to how it drives? 

The newer ones definitely look better but wondering if there’s anything else I should think about. 

Thanks

Rob 

MeMeMe 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Wilsonrobj:

Don't know how helpful this but we've got a 2010 Berlingo and it's been great. No major issues with it and it's on 150k now. Being able to easily pull out the back seats when we want to get a load of stuff in the back has been so useful! Really rate them.

Neil Williams 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Wilsonrobj:

Crikey, it's car day!

One thing I'd say (having owned a 2005 Berlingo Multispace years ago and tried the new one) is that if you're tall make sure you have a test drive in the new one - the shape of the dash means I can't drive one.  (6' 4" and a fair bit of it in the leg) - my left leg catches between the wheel and the dash and so I can't lift off the clutch.  The old one had gallons of space as the dash is a traditional shape with the gearstick on the floor and doesn't curve round like the new one.

One other observation about the old one was that if you've got big feet you might find yourself pressing the clutch and brake at the same time as they're quite close together, though I found I got used to foot positioning for that.

If you're short and have small feet...take your pick!

Post edited at 12:24
gezebo 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Wilsonrobj:

Great cars, particularly the hearing aid beige coloured variety! You won’t regret buying a berlingo. I think the older ones are a bit better and slightly more robust in design. 

Peugeot Partner is basically the same too. I loved mine and bought a doblo after which is good but a fraction shorter. 

I’m pretty tall at nearly 6’3 and thought it had loads of leg room for the driver. 

David55 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

I  have  recently bought my 3rd Berlingo.  The first 2 between  them lasted 16 years and 199,000 miles. I am  6ft 3, my son 6ft 5, and both of  us have had no difficulty fitting in. My wife, 5ft 0, was too small for the first 2, but  the new one is better and she can reach the pedals.

Post edited at 13:11
 Rick Graham 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Wilsonrobj:

I have had three berlingos in the family fleet. All the older ones ,03 and 04 , were cheap to buy and run.

There have been a number of forum discussions on here about the engines . Worth a search.

The consensus was the older 1.9 D diesels were bombproof,  as was the older 2.0 hdi.The newer ,1.6 hdi are relatively fragile. The advice I got for this engine was to change the oil and filter properly ( through the sump plug ) and always to let the engine tick over for ten seconds to let the turbo cool before switching off.

The old berlingos are galvanised so are not rust buckets like some other makes.Worth checking out if you are getting an older vehicle.

Tigger 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Wilsonrobj:

At that size and age I'd also look at pre 2006 Peugeot Experts / Citeron Dispatches. You can pick up a high top up cheap. They're meant to be reliable, cheap to maintain. They look a little retro now, which i kinda like but maybe won't be to everyone's taste.

OP Wilsonrobj 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Wilsonrobj:

Thanks for the replies everyone - useful stuff! 

Jon Stewart 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Wilsonrobj:

My 2008 Partner (same as Berlingo) 1.6 diesel was so incredibly shit that words can't describe my hatred for that little bastard. Bought it with about 80,000 on and it shat in my face over and over again. Every couple of weeks I'd get stranded by the side of the road in the freezing cold and the AA would have to drag it back to the garage where I would dump it (often in the middle of the night). An absolute piece of shit.

petegunn 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Wilsonrobj:

We have a 2013 1.6 and have had it for 4 years without any trouble. We bought it with the intention of building our own "bootjump" but instead just put in a wooden parcel shelf with added little side cubby holds and has an inset twin burner gas stove, this enables you to cook inside as there is way more room. I'm 6' and can sleep straight out. If we are bouldering we use the pads with 2 storage boxes (food/equipment) to fill the space or if not bouldering have a mattress from a campervan. Use a big double sleeping bag. We made the blackout stick on curtains but you can buy these if needed. 

Such a good little car, you can still take a car full of mates with 3/4 pads, have it as a little camper or use it to cart loads of rubbish to the dump. Insurance is cheap and good mileage if you don't rag it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...