UKC

/ Best Lap Top under £500

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Co1in H - on 26 Dec 2017
Need a new lap top and cannot run to a Mac Book so looking for some advice as to what may be a decent buy in the sales.
There's so many out there I just get overwhelmed by it all.
I use a lot of email, internet browsing and letters/office stuff and some photos. Disc drive, to load up my printer if nothing else.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Colin
Michael Hood - on 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

Main thing is to get a solid state drive, much faster than a normal disk. Unless you download truckloads of movies and need terabytes of storage.
climber34neil - on 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Co1in H:
I'm certainly no expert but just from experience, I bought my son a Lenovo IdeaPad for Christmas ( he had it in September for starting a levels) that seems really good, looks good, runs smoothly and seemed very good value , jonh Lewis has them for around £400
mrphilipoldham - on 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

In which case still get an SSD, but also a USB hard drive just for data dumping where speed isn't an issue!
Luke90 on 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

Most laptops will come without a CD drive these days and they take up a lot of space. If printer software is the only reason you can think of for needing one you might be better off either:
- Seeing whether Windows automatically downloads suitable software/drivers when you plug in the printer (likely but not certain)
- Seeing whether you can download the software in question from the manufacturer's website
- As a last resort, buy a cheap external CD drive

If the printer is ancient, any software on the CD won't run on Windows 10 anyway. If the printer is recent, the manufacturer's website will almost certainly have the software available to download. Unless you can think of reasons that you'll regularly use the drive, I wouldn't make it a priority. If you're just worried about needing it occasionally, still choose the best laptop regardless of CD drive and then if necessary buy an external one if/when you find you actually need one.
captain paranoia - on 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

> I use a lot of email, internet browsing and letters/office stuff and some photos

There's nothing there that shouts 'high performance', unless the 'some photos' is actually intensive processing of large, RAW images.

So you don't need the latest, whiz-bang machine. You might even think about second hand.
RobOggie on 28 Dec 2017
Co1in H - on 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Co1in H:
Thanks everyone.
It could be a Lenovo 320s but my only worry is the poor review on the graphics. It seems pretty top at everything else.
Lemony - on 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

John Lewis usually have an ex-demo sale in jan/feb, it's worth keeping an eye out for one if you have a store near you. I got a bit of a bargain last year which thus far has performed impeccably.

*laptop now self destructs*
Luke90 on 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

Nothing you've mentioned in your description of what you would use it for is at all graphics-intensive.
The Lemming - on 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

My Tesco bought laptop is approaching ten years old and cost £350.

I did install windows 10 but the WiFi driver played up. That was a year ago so I may try again for shits and giggles.

The laptop won't play 4k video and does not stand a chance when I try to play any footage recoded at 120fps.

However the solid state hard drive ensures that it keeps up with the modern world.

But it was built way before all that. It plays fine with Windows 7 but is super dooper with Linux mint using xface.

Not bad for a piece of kit originally loaded with that piece of crap called Vista.

My next laptop will be from Tesco. I will just make sure it has an Intel processor and spend been £350 and £500.
The Lemming - on 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Co1in H:

If you had a good smartphone maybe you could get a Bluetooth keyboard and monitor or TV as a display?
Co1in H - on 01 Jan 2018
In reply to The Lemming: Thanks but that's way too involved for me. I just want to plug it in and go. My smart phone is way too smart for me anyway!

Co1in H - on 01 Jan 2018
In reply to Luke90: You're right. Perhaps I used the wrong word. The reviews were talking more about the general screen display as opposed to detailed gaming perhaps. Maybe I should just go and look at a few this week.

Luke90 on 01 Jan 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

Ah, I thought you meant it was criticised for weak graphics performance rather than a poor screen.

That makes it rather more subjective so definitely take a look at some in the flesh. Someone will probably stock that Lenovo you fancy, or at least a similar model with the same display. Different people have very different levels of pickiness about screens. I look for a decent resolution and viewing angles but don't care much about super-high resolutions (anything above full HD is wasted on me), response times or colour accuracy. You might find that you notice the limitations of the screen, particularly if you're a keen photographer, or you might find that the reviewers are criticising weaknesses that are entirely imperceptible to you.
Lord of Starkness - on 01 Jan 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

I got a Lenovo Ideapad 320 from John Lewis a month or so ago to replace my missus' ancient 'Vista' model. Win 10, 4Gb Ram, 1TB HDD, and it was advertised with an optical drive - for £ 329. When it arrived I found that there was no optical drive so contacted JL -- they apologised and gave me a £35 credit so I could get a USB drive ( which I promptly got from Argos for £ 25)

So far performance has been excellent.

Cannot fault JL customer service. Plus they give a 2 year guarantee as opposed to most other retailers only offering 12 months.

Laptop is perfomrong well
captain paranoia - on 01 Jan 2018
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> Laptop is perfomrong well

Apart from the spell checker...
Rob Exile Ward on 01 Jan 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

With laptops I think it is definitely worth looking at extended warranties, and factoring that into the price. If the screen, keyboard or motherboard go out of warranty then you've just got yourself an expensive door stop.
Lord of Starkness - on 02 Jan 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:
Operator error -- Garbage in = Garbage out

PS I was not using the laptop at the time.

Post edited at 13:20
captain paranoia - on 02 Jan 2018
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

It was a joke...
Dauphin on 02 Jan 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

Something reconditioned from Morgan with Win 10 and an SSD. Toshiba or Lenovo.

D
routrax - on 02 Jan 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

Have a look at Asus laptops. not sure which one fits in your budget, but my last 2 Asus ones have been great.

For £500 you're going to have trade off something to get decent laptop, heavier/less battery life/less screen resolution/slower processor/less memory (not all of these things, but one or two), but you should still get a decent one for that price.

I've currently got one of these: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/14425-asus-zenbook-ux430-review/ and am very impressed with it, it was, however £800.

It replaced a 7 yr old Asus ul30a, which was less than £300 at time of purchase, which still works ok.

Printer drivers should not be an issue, unless your printer is really really old, if so, just get another one. Printers are really cheap.

bearman68 - on 07 Jan 2018
In reply to Co1in H:

I bought 2 laptops for the business from Solent laptops - google them. 2* i7 machines with W10 etc etc etc for £470 total, delivered. Bargain.
i7 is a bit nippy, and about the top spec at the mo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.