UKC

Best uses of a food dehydrator?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 11 Nov 2020

I have made beef jerky in mine but struggling to think of any other useful ideas

marsbar 11 Nov 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Dried fruit "leather" or slices.  

There are still a few apples on the tree. 

rj_townsend 11 Nov 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Doorstop?

olddirtydoggy 11 Nov 2020
In reply to The Potato:

We've used ours this year to do a lot of fruit. Mango, apple and oddly water melon worked really well. We use it to make our own trail mix.

marsbar 11 Nov 2020
In reply to The Potato:

I've heard you can make your own dried meals but I haven't tried.  Chilli con carne works apparently.  

Removed User 11 Nov 2020
In reply to The Potato:

I know someone who made his own dessicator and went on to produce dehydrated ready meals. I recall he did chilli con carne, no doubt you could dry out curries, Bolognese...

Removed User 11 Nov 2020
In reply to The Potato:

I've had a pizza with a base made of dehy zucchini slices formed between two weighty plates. Very good.

In reply to The Potato:

If you're going to dehydrate meals, make sure things are chopped up small, especially meats. If you want to prepare and store them, stick them in the freezer once dried.

My most successful was kiwi fruit; comes out like a flavour-packed fruit jelly. Delicious, but a pain to peel and slice before drying. 

JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 11 Nov 2020
In reply to The Potato:

banana slices have worked really well in the past for me.

Mike-W-99 11 Nov 2020
In reply to JamieSparkes:

And plantain works really well too although getting it at jus the right ripeness seems a bit hit and miss.

Best of the lot though is dried wild mushroom.

nufkin 12 Nov 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

>  kiwi fruit... a pain to peel and slice before drying. 

My outlook on kiwis was dramatically altered when it was pointed out to me that you don't need to peel them

peppermill 12 Nov 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Sliced banana is lovely- nothing like the crunchy crap you buy in the shops. Kiwi and apple (As long as you prepare it properly) works a treat also. 

Admittedly I haven't used it in conjunction with my jetboil as much as planned.....

Wingnut 12 Nov 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

>>My most successful was kiwi fruit; comes out like a flavour-packed fruit jelly. Delicious, but a pain to peel and slice before drying. 

Ooh, never tried kiwi fruit in mine! Will have to give it a go, ta for the tip.

In reply to nufkin:

> My outlook on kiwis was dramatically altered when it was pointed out to me that you don't need to peel them

I don't like eating the fluff. Maybe I should shave them...

Bezz 12 Nov 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Drying out cooked pork rind for pork scratchings?

In reply to The Potato:

Pineapple, banana, kiwi, persimmon - all work well, as do cherry tomatoes. 

Apple pulp left after jelly making makes s decent leather if you add some sugar and cinnamon.

smollett 12 Nov 2020
In reply to The Potato:

Mushrooms. I use mine for drying these mainly although done fruit too.

Blewits, penny buns, hedgehog and trooping funnels all dry well and pretty common. Plenty of trooping funnels about now.

aln 13 Nov 2020
In reply to nufkin:

> My outlook on kiwis was dramatically altered when it was pointed out to me that you don't need to peel them

I cut them in half and scoop the flesh out with a spoon. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...