UKC

Bike stolen, recovery tips?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby_W 05 Sep 2019

Garage was broken into last night, luckily only one thing stolen, my nice bike.  58 Cervelo R3 sl, black, silver letters, KCNC brakes, broken cassette.

Any tips for recovery?  Insured but, i’ve had it ten years and it’s lovely.

Most horrified by how they bumped/picked the lock on a modern pvc door so easily.

Cheers

Toby

Post edited at 22:21
 elsewhere 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

auction site co.uk/b/Stolen-Bikes/177831/bn_7031135026

Some advertise as stolen on eBay, gumtree, Facebook.

Beef up garage security and delay getting replacement, you are a good target in a month or two

LastBoyScout 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

Bastards!

Usual searches on eBay, Gumtree, Sphock, Facebook marketplace and any local free ads may reveal turn it up, but many stolen bikes are shipped abroad or stripped and sold as parts, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

If you do manage to find it for sale, advice seems to be to inform the police and arrange to go and buy it and steal it back. If you see it locked up in town, put your own lock on it and inform the police.

The issue is you don't know if you're stealing it back from the thief or some unknowing individual the thief sold it to.

Sure Road.cc had an article on this in the last year.

LastBoyScout 05 Sep 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

> Beef up garage security and delay getting replacement, you are a good target in a month or two

This ^^

A good friend of mine had his garage broken into and 5 bikes stolen. 3 months later, they came back for the replacements, but were foiled by the beefed up security!

Mine are all locked in the garage with multiple ground anchors and motorcycle chain locks. Won't stop a portable angle grinder (mine is also locked away!), but will slow the buggers down as they'll have to cut every one of them

Post edited at 23:19
In reply to Toby_W:

I was wondering if there is anyway to fit hidden GPS trackers to bikes .

I see they make some but they don't look very hidden.

Sorry this doesn't help in this case.

In reply to Toby_W:

Worth noting here to give yourself a decent privacy zone in Strava. Go to settings, privacy control, privacy zones and set your radius (go bigger if you're rural) so that thieves can't locate which house has your Pinarello F12 Dogma in the garage.

Alternatively, don't list your bike as anything worth nicking and don't post pictures of it to be extra safe.

ScottTalbot 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

I can highly recommend these door locks:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asec-HS1829-Garage-Door-Lock/dp/B004ULMMXI

Easy to fit and difficult to get past..

As for your lost Bike.. It's highly unlikely that you'll ever see it again unfortunately. Better to just move on and try to minimise the risk of it happening again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...