UKC

Binoculars - one for the Birders (or the voyeurs!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby S 23 Jun 2009
Anyone got any recommendations for around the £50 mark? Ring Ouzel reckons I should spend at least £250 but I can't afford that much! I just want a pair that the family can use when we're out and about. My daughter seems to be enjoying birdwatching so it would be nice to get her a pair that she can get a bit of use from but I'm not going to be constantly worried about her dropping them - or me for that matter, I can be very clumsy!
ssames 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Toby S:

I have a pair of http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/aspheric_wa.htm and they are great. Slightly more than 50 but well worth it.
 MattJP 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Toby S:
> Anyone got any recommendations for around the £50 mark? Ring Ouzel reckons I should spend at least £250 but I can't afford that much! I just want a pair that the family can use when we're out and about. My daughter seems to be enjoying birdwatching so it would be nice to get her a pair that she can get a bit of use from but I'm not going to be constantly worried about her dropping them - or me for that matter, I can be very clumsy!

You should spend 250 quid, and then tell Mrs S that they were 50 quid!! ;0)

Failing that, as long as they are waterproof and are no stronger than 10x40, you cant go wrong with a pair of Opticron! Yes I am a fan! Both my scope and bins are Opticron!

toad 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Toby S: at £50, it really doesn't matter. Get the pair that you most like the look of, there won't be much between them at that price in optical terms. Having said that, more expensive ones will be more resistant to the effects of dropping than cheap ones, onto softer ground, at least.
 Adders 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Toby S: i've got some opticron bga's 10x25's that were only £170 a few years ago. really clear, waterproof and comfy hope that helps
 Blue Straggler 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Toby S:

Did some research into this for general (as opposed to birdy) low-cost good quality binoculars for a present for Papa Straggler in 2002...and Opticron was the overwhelming suggestion. Got some for about £90, seem OK if you like that sort of thing
Slugain Howff 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Toby S:

I've got a pair of 10x50 jobs that you are welcome to have for free. They are neither light nor were they ever cutting edge but they've kept me keen for many years and as you can see from other posts I'm trading up.

Slugain
OP Toby S 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Slugain Howff:

Cheers Slug that would be very good of you!
heather monkey 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Toby S:
> Anyone got any recommendations for around the £50 mark?

Do *NOT* speak to Ring Ouzel!

Ring Ouzel reckons I should spend at least £250

Ah, too late. In which case I should warn you that's merely his opening gambit - the price will continue to increase every time you talk to him!

<stares forlornly into empty wallet, while appreciating the ability to do so with such clarity from such a distance>

OP Toby S 23 Jun 2009
In reply to heather monkey:

He said that if I was to get cheap ones I wouldn't be allowed to look him directly in the eye and would have to walk at least 3 steps behind him.
In reply to Toby S:
I can recommend Opticron aspheric 8 x 40. £69 from Opticron - you might get them for less. Ideal for birdwatching beginners, fairly lightweight and RSPB recommended.
Slugain Howff 23 Jun 2009
In reply to Toby S:

Drop me a note with your address and and I'll post them up to you at the weekend when I get back
 MattJP 24 Jun 2009
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to heather monkey)
>
> He said that if I was to get cheap ones I wouldn't be allowed to look him directly in the eye and would have to walk at least 3 steps behind him.

Sounds fair enough! ;0)

dek 24 Jun 2009
In reply to Toby S:
I got these Nikon Bins for less than £50. Very good all rounder,sharp bright and easy to focus.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/Nikon/Action%20VII%...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...