UKC

Bird photos - Gulls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Five adult gulls seen this month. Used guide books, it’s my first identification of gulls so could be wrong (though the Lesser one was suggested by Merlin app sound recording).

McHeath 31 May 2023
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Nice pictures - I find Gulls incredibly difficult, and wish I lived nearer the sea!

Michael Hood 31 May 2023

Nice shots, the Ring-billed is a bit far from home, should be on the other side of the Atlantic but is apparently no longer classified as a rarity in the UK, merely scarce.

I've never seen one, but I do wonder how many scarce/rare gulls are merely hidden in flocks that I haven't had the patience to carefully scan. However if you have the necessary patience, becoming a gull-meister should be within your grasp.

Bottom Clinger 31 May 2023

Great pic of the ring billed. I’ve never seen one. 

In reply to Michael Hood:

It drew attention to itself as it was trying to “nest” near a Common Gull nest and getting dive bombed frequently.

Not sure if it is a definitive characteristic itself, but I decide 😉 that a white circle visible on the outer tip of primaries seemed distinctive for ID when flying. I could track it flying about by that alone. I probably will never see another to test my theory 🙄. I’ll look out some other photos later to show the circle.

I’m sure I miss lots of unusual birds; with gulls being juveniles till some 4 years looking different it’s going to be a huge learning curve.

White spot visible on primaries of each wing. 4th photo showing increase in eye circle colour when bird was under attack.

Michael Hood 01 Jun 2023

Excellent stuff 👍

Michael Hood 04 Jun 2023

Having taken ages before actually seeing my first Mediterranean Gull last month in Anglesey, I've been carrying on checking Black-headed Gulls and today came across another adult Mediterranean. They really do make the Black-headed look like poorly dressed cousins.

And on the warbler front, I think Garden Warblers have taken over (for me) from Reed Warblers as MMALBB (my most annoying little brown bird). Merlin tells me that there's one there singing away, but can you see it, can you hell.

> And on the warbler front, I think Garden Warblers have taken over (for me) from Reed Warblers as MMALBB (my most annoying little brown bird). Merlin tells me that there's one there singing away, but can you see it, can you hell.

Ha ha, I had a couple of garden warblers in a wood the other day who were signing with gusto, but totally invisible to me! They do blend in well sitting in the trees, so I just carried on walking. Have to say though I think their song is one of the nicer ones to listen to.

Fortunately, I’ve yet to hear a reed one yet to get disappointed at not seeing!!

Post edited at 20:45
 Bottom Clinger 04 Jun 2023

Well done on the Med Gull !! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...