UKC

Blended AGMs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philipjardine 22 Oct 2021

Does anyone have experience running or attending a "blended" club AGM?  ie some attendance in person and some virtual.  Any comments or tips?  Pros/cons?  I see that the AAC lectures are going to be blended.  What technology works best?

Post edited at 14:44
 blurty 22 Oct 2021
In reply to philipjardine:

Not AGMs, but in business meetings, those physically present sit in front of a laptop with Teams on, and discussion mainly happens via the laptop.

Worked OK

OP philipjardine 22 Oct 2021
In reply to blurty:

> Not AGMs, but in business meetings, those physically present sit in front of a laptop with Teams on, and discussion mainly happens via the laptop.

> Worked OK

I can see that working well for a handful of people.

kathrync 22 Oct 2021

Not AGMs, but I've been doing some teaching like that, catering to students who can't come in because they are isolating. It's stressful, but it does kind of work.

I use Zoom - not sure if it's the best, but it's the University-mandated option for online teaching. Project my screen on the projector for those in the room, and also share it for those on Zoom - sometimes needs some faffing around with resolution to make it work for everyone. I always make slides available to download as well in case there are problems for those who are remote. I use a headset to be sure those who are remote can hear me properly.

It's really helpful to have a helping hand who can monitor Zoom for hands up/chat comments etc. It's really hard to keep an eye on a room full of people as well as Zoom.

Post edited at 15:42
 Rob Parsons 22 Oct 2021
In reply to blurty:

> Not AGMs, but in business meetings, those physically present sit in front of a laptop with Teams on, and discussion mainly happens via the laptop.

That only works if everybody is using headsets; otherwise, if people are using normal mikes and speakers (e.g. ones built into the laptop) it's audio chaos if more than one person ever wants to speak.

stevevans5 22 Oct 2021
In reply to Rob Parsons:

It can work, it just needs a bit more management of how things operate, ie someone has the floor for a while, then comments from the room, then questions from online use a react or hand up function and go round.

To answer the OP - Zoom works pretty well for this, as for ancillary tech it depends a bit on how many people are there. I've done something like this for an event with two cameras (connected via USB, can change between them using the drop-down menu in Zoom) and a PA system with a couple of mics to hand around. If you're adding any tech on the audio side it's very important to not send the Zoom sound back to itself, it can be helpful to draw a picture of how things will all connect and interface 

Rob Parsons 22 Oct 2021
In reply to stevevans5:

> It can work, it just needs a bit more management of how things operate, ie someone has the floor for a while, then comments from the room, then questions from online use a react or hand up function and go round.

Based on my direct experience using MS Teams for hybrid meetings, it doesn't work if more than one person in the same room has their laptop speakers on and their mike open - you get bad audio effects.

Post edited at 15:52
 stevevans5 22 Oct 2021
In reply to Rob Parsons:

yes, needs to be very strictly one device on per room (unless the second has audio disabled, or one is being used for mic and the other speakers etc). It's definitely useful to have someone responsible for the streaming bit poised to mute anyone who's causing feedback or unhelpful background noise

sbc23 22 Oct 2021

We did a club social / slideshow thing like this last month. Used Zoom. One laptop and a projector in a room with the audience. Another dozen people remote. Zoom does all the clever screen sharing and switching focus for you. 

We initially tried two laptops but the sound all goes wrong.

One laptop and one audio output. Suggest mini speakers would be best. We used the projector inbuilt speakers and they weren’t brilliant. 

Obviously you need reliable and decent WiFi for it to work properly.

steveriley 22 Oct 2021

I think it works better if the dialled in folk are on a big telly, helps give them more presence. Easier to be ignored on a 15” screen.

Philip 23 Oct 2021

My experience of blended is it's very good until any discussion.

The trick is to ensure those of online can hear the presenter and any questions/comment (2nd microphone) and someone monitoring the online chat to allow questions to be raised (mute otherwise).

MikeR 23 Oct 2021

I've not used it, but others in my work have raved about using an owl for blended meetings.

https://uk-shop.owllabs.com/

timjones 23 Oct 2021

I've attended a few both in the room and joining from the virtual end using microsoft teams. google meetings and zoom.

They all work well if the chair is strong and retains control, nut like most meetings become chaotic if the chair is weak.

It is useful to have someone in the real meeting watching the screen for questions from the virtual attendees and feeding this information to the chair.

OP philipjardine 23 Oct 2021
In reply to MikeR:

> I've not used it, but others in my work have raved about using an owl for blended meetings.

Interesting.  Friends in the NHS have told me the same thing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...