UKC

Blurred vision after exercise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigBrother 27 Feb 2011
Yesterday I cycled about 10 miles along a cycle track, spent an hour or so wandering around the shops and then cycled back. It was quite windy, especially coming back where despite being flat it was directly into the wind which was 20-25mph with gusts upto 30. I wasn't really pushing but with the wind it took a steady effort all the way.

After I got back I had an evening meal, watched the news and then took the dog before going on the pc. I noticed my vision was 'blurry'. I could still read the screen but it was definitely blurry and harder to focus than usual. It felt as if it came and went in both eyes. I found I was blinking a lot as if trying to clear them. By the time I went to bed it had got better but not completely gone and even today it doesn't feel 100%.

I have had similar problems before but not to that extent. It wasn't really a huge amount of exercise and I had eaten before going and had a snack while in there.

Doing a quick google comes up with lots of dire warnings on the symptoms involving blood pressure issues, hypoglacemia and even MS. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? Should I go and see the doc?
 digby 27 Feb 2011
In reply to BigBrother:
> Should I go and see the doc?

Obviously
 john35 27 Feb 2011
In reply to BigBrother:

Yes, see a doc and get blood tests done. It may well be/most likely is something benign but you can't take the risk
OP BigBrother 27 Feb 2011
In reply to digby:
> (In reply to BigBrother)
> [...]
>
> Obviously

Doctor? Hospital? Noooo! To the Internetz!!!!

Well I just wondered if they were common symptoms that other people had after exercise or whether it was just the effect of the wind on my eyes. The problem with Dr Google is that any symptoms result in multiple pages linking them to serious diseases.
 Andy Nisbet 27 Feb 2011

Could just be that you are close to needing glasses. Normally your eye muscles can compensate but they failed when tired after exercise. I've no idea of course but it doesn't have to be serious.
KTT 27 Feb 2011
In reply to BigBrother: Perhaps you were just really low on energy / had an underlying cold?

Anyway forget Dr Google try Mr Jeeves
In reply to BigBrother:

Hi Big Borther,...I have the symptoms you describe as a result of exercise. It's a migraine,..or the 'aura' of one even if the headache doesn't follow. Mine are exercise induced and sometimes certain sports are a more likely cause than others. Belaying, weight training and anything that puts pressure/constriction on the back of my neck.

It doesn't always start immediately after exercise either, but will be that day before I go to bed.

Hope this helps, but always best to go to a Doc as I am certainly not one!!!

Elefan
banned profile 74 27 Feb 2011
In reply to BigBrother: my 2p.likely your run down after exercise and your body is rebuilding its energy stores and doing general repairs all of which require oxygen.your eyes use alot of oxygen for you to see so maybe some of the oxygen that your eyes require is being used elswhere so your eyes aren't getting their full share hence the bluriness.try raising your heartrate to see if that helps
 karinh 28 Feb 2011
In reply to BigBrother:
Yes I get that. First time was when we'd gone out on a hillwalk in a blizzard. After it had stopped snowing I commented on the fog to my friends who revealed there wasnt any. It went away after a few hours. Second time was when we'd been on Crypt route, and started walking down again I just assumed it'd gone foggy, but it hadnt. I'd driven, tried to drive back but couldnt read the road signs even close up, so someone else drove instead to the Clachaig and an hour or so later I could see well enough to drive. I did what you did, googled for it, and found a helpful diagnosis of 'overexposure to the outdoors' which sounded benign enough for me to settle for it :-D. Checked with the GP next time I was in and he didnt seem worried, didnt do any tests or anything. I've had it again since, but I find keeping well hydrated helps - it doesnt get as bad.
OP BigBrother 28 Feb 2011
In reply to BigBrother: Thanks for the replies. I did the same trip again today although it wasn't so windy. I didn't have the blurred vision but did have the aching neck headache (if that makes sense). I have recently changed my handlebars and they are now a few inches lower. They felt ok when cycling but I wonder whether craning my neck upwards more because of the lower position is causing the problem? I can understand it causing the neck stiffness because it will be harder on the neck muscles but I am not sure why it would cause the blurred vision unless it is triggering a migraine type reaction as suggested above.
 JJL 01 Mar 2011
In reply to BigBrother, karinh, elefan and anyone else who gets these symptoms after exercise:

You do need to see a doctor.

You also need to go to your opticians, have your eye pressure read and tell them about your vision blurring after exercise. My similar symptoms were due to glaucoma and heralded a spate of retinal and other eye problems.

I hope, and it probably is, just being lashed with cold air - but foolish not to be sure when finding out is simple and painless.

ben b 01 Mar 2011
In reply to beastofackworth: Nah. Back to Physiology School for you, young feller-me-lad!
b
 ben b 01 Mar 2011
In reply to BigBrother: Your symptoms don't particularly sound like optical migraine. I would certainly say go to a good opticians for a proper eye test i.e. with a slit lamp so they can check the retina, +/- going to your friendly local GP - may or may not strike lucky there depending on their neuro-opthalmology skills, but they can certainly do a good basic screen for diabetes, hypertension etc.
HTH
b
OP BigBrother 01 Mar 2011
In reply to BigBrother: Thhanks for the replies. I am having an eyetest tomorow so will see what they say. Decide after that whether to go to the doc.
 abbotsmike 02 Mar 2011
In reply to BigBrother:

Keep hydrated too. I've managed to get dehydrated fairly badly twice. (both after playing a hard game of rugby on hot days, drank a couple of litres over 80 minutes but still got caught out!) Either way, it did some funny things to my vision, blurriness, headaches, inability to focus. It also ruined me for a couple of days each time.
I now drink plenty whenever exercising, dehydration, not good!
OP BigBrother 03 Mar 2011
In reply to BigBrother: Had my eye test today. I told the optician about the problem. He did the pressure test which was normal and spent a long time peering at my eyes with his little light and declared there to be nothing wrong. Good news but now I have to decide whether to risk mixing with all the ill people at the doctors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...