UKC

BMC & Plastic Waste

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 30 May 2019

Just had my Summit magazine in the post, does it really need to be wrapped in Plastic? Surely there is a more sustainable way of packaging? Also worth asking do we need to have a printed copy when (I'm assuming) most of us would prefer a more eco digital version....

MeMeMe 30 May 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Isn't it some kind of compostable plastic?

Although even if it is it'll suffer from the problem that nobody quite knows what to do with compostable plastic (it's not always home compostable, not everyone has a compost bin) so it gets chucked in with the general waste or worse I with other plastic which it contaminates.

I'd vote for a digital copy and opting out of a print copy.

Dark-Cloud 30 May 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I think it's biodegradable ? 

I wish they would give the option of one per household if there is two members at the same address.

galpinos 30 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I think it's biodegradable ? 

It's potato starch, you can compost it at home or put it in your green bin.

> I wish they would give the option of one per household if there is two members at the same address.

They do. I phoned them up and they sorted it for me?

galpinos 30 May 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> Just had my Summit magazine in the post, does it really need to be wrapped in Plastic? Surely there is a more sustainable way of packaging?

It's not. It's potato starch, you can compost it at home or put it in your green bin.

OP Sl@te Head 30 May 2019
In reply to galpinos:

I'd noticed it wasn't the usual plastic and worked out it was a step in the right direction,  but still question the need for it. I guess all it does is hold the various advertisement leaflets in place which I don't read or need.

toad 30 May 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

The extra leaflets are annoying, but you should see the ridiculous package British Canoeing sends out -a kind of floppy floppy plasticised cardenvelope thing with little needless  flyers including a voucher for orange juice! And if there is more than one person on the membership (like a joint member for eg) EVERYONE gets their own package

Offwidth 30 May 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Try reading the bottom of the address sheet!?

"100% compostable. Summit is now wrapped in an environmentally friendly compostable potato starch film. Here are several ways you can dispose of your wrapper ....etc."

Thank you BMC.

OP Sl@te Head 30 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Ha, like I said I don't bother reading the various leaflets

A step forward from the BMC but getting rid of the packaging would be better & better still getting rid of the printed version...

In reply to Sl@te Head:

If you hadn't spotted it already, it's worth checking out the BMC's Hills 2 Oceans Campaign as that's closely related to the sentiments shared within this thread: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/h2o-bmc-hills-2-oceans-campaign-litter-pick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...