UKC

BMC travel insurance- any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 10 May 2013
Hi, Travelling in the USA...doing rock climbing and other such sports.

How good is BMC insurance...both for injuries in climbing and general stuff like getting a disease or being in a road accident?

Anyone had to claim, whats it like?

Thanks!!!
 Phill Mitch 10 May 2013
In reply to phja:Thankfully never had to claim but try telling any other insurer you are going climbing and watch the price go stupid! Never had any trouble with BMC, I even got a text on my last day saying it was about to run out.
 Boogs 10 May 2013
In reply to phja:

I've used it a few times had to claim for costs of medical treatment ( broken clavicle ) from a mountain biking accident in the alps . They paid up quickly with no hassle .

Not like another company I won't mention that I had the ( very expensive downhill ) bike insured with .

Conclusion I recommend BMC insurance .
 ayuplass 10 May 2013
In reply to phja:
I was happy with their price for my trip last year and I'll be using them again this year. I didn't have to claim thankfully but I was happy with their customer service
 wheelo 10 May 2013
In reply to phja: paid in a week with a cancellation claim for medical reasons - broken leg. Firstbclass service
 Enty 10 May 2013
In reply to phja:

Highly recommended. They paid for Mrs. Ent's antibiotics in California and paid for a car I smashed up when I went into the back of it in a tunnel in the Alps on my mountain bike.

E
 Blinder 10 May 2013
In reply to phja: Was thinking about the insurance game tonight have never had to claim from the BMC. But I realised that in the last 10 ish year I had friends repateded via lia jet and hurucles so maybe getting good insurance is worth it?
 Carolyn 10 May 2013
In reply to phja:

We've had one claim when son broke his leg skiing. The assistance company took a little chivvying along (hadn't let us know about flights the night before we were due to leave), but basically great, paid up no problems. And I've heard good reports for more serious stuff - like getting a family member flown out to Alps before fallen climber regained consciousness (in under 24 hours).
 dsh 10 May 2013
In reply to phja:

I go to the USA a lot and I got an annual Colombia insurance for skiing and climbing upto 5000 m for 75 quid, the equivalent bmc policy was 250. With any insurance it's generally cheaper to get annual for the USA
 Ianto Bach 10 May 2013
In reply to phja:

I've used their insurance products quite a bit. Luckily no claims myself but friends have had excellent responses to theft (Arco crag bandit) and serious injury (chopper rescue in the alps, hospital treatment and private jet home with medical aid).

Happy to recommend

I
OP phja 14 May 2013
In reply to phja:

Thanks to everyone for their replies I have taken out insurance with the BMC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...