UKC

Board games that work over Zoom?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joeramsay 03 May 2020

My family have had a surprising amount of success playing Catan over Zoom - it's a little bit fiddly to get everyone set up at first, but it's much easier than I thought it would be to keep everyone synchronised and have a good game. Unfortunately it works so well that we're now a bit sick of Catan, so I thought someone on here might have some ideas for board games that would work equally well in a video call. I suppose it needs to be games where you're not all drawing from some shared resource (eg the bag of Scrabble letters)

girlymonkey 03 May 2020
In reply to joeramsay:

We did a large version of Balderdash on Friday night. We called it "utter shite"! Rather than using the actual Balderdash game, we were just designated a round (initials, laws, odd words etc) and people had to pm their definitions to the "stoater" and once all answers were in, the stoater read them out.

It was fun, a good evening

wilkie14c 03 May 2020
In reply to joeramsay:

YOU SANK MY BATTLESHIP!!

In reply to joeramsay:

Not Zoom, but we play Ticket to Ride. We each had to download Steam first and then pay for Ticket to Ride but we’re having a lot of fun!

pasbury 04 May 2020
In reply to joeramsay:

I think Carcassonne could work?

Or f*ck it why not monopoly.

In reply to joeramsay:

If you like word games I think Boggle would work quite well:

https://www.hamleys.com/boggle.ir

LakesWinter 04 May 2020
In reply to pasbury:

Carcassone does work yes. You've got to have the person with the physical game showing everyone else the current layout and showing which piece came out etc but it worked pretty well

Lemony 04 May 2020
In reply to joeramsay:

There are a lot of print and play roll and writes available at the moment which work brilliantly. I think that Railroad Ink is possibly the best. Rules available variously online, board available here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/171726/board-print-play-whit-paper-and-p...

You can either print the sheets or use and tablet and drawing app.

Durbs 04 May 2020
In reply to joeramsay:

Depends if you both have copies of the game or not...

But we've had success with Wavelength, Codenames & Spyfall (which are more social games, rather than having a board specifically). Camel Up works, but you need some (honest) way of tracking bets on overall winner/loser - a Google sheet works fine, set font to white, type the winner...

Azul would work, we haven't done it yet though, same for Diamant/Incan Gold.

Quacks of Quedlingberg works, but each "house" needs a copy of the game.

As someone linked to above, Board Game Arena has a lot games, and you can choose to play with friends. Some good free games, and some very good paid-for games, it's pretty cheap to join.

For Carcasonne fans, checkout JCloisterzone, java-based, so you need a PC/laptop rather than a tablet or phone, but a really good implementation, with nearly all expansions - and it's free. 

Marq 04 May 2020
In reply to joeramsay:

Had success playing Scythe, Pandemic and Escape from the Dark Castle over video calls. Trying Catan this weekend actually as well. 

Just need to be a bit creative and assign a master board and deck if cards to draw from. 

Marq 

Alex1 04 May 2020
In reply to joeramsay:

www.tabletopsimulator.com is a good option - basically a physics simulator of a board, pieces, cards, dice etc so feels like a real game rather than a computer game - combine with zoom. Pretty much anything is available via the workshop .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...