UKC

Boats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 doz 09 Sep 2020

Love em...

How many have you got?

Currently seven...not bragging or anything

ThunderCat 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

What, actual boats?

Boat envy

Edit: Even if they're gravy boats, I'm still jealous

Post edited at 10:47
OP doz 09 Sep 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

Nup, real floaty boats

Gravy boats I don't understand, and they are most definitely not boats

Rob Exile Ward 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

4 - 3 are inflatables, and 2 of those I want to sell. Any takers?

ThunderCat 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

> Gravy boats I don't understand, and they are most definitely not boats

Aren't those things you put gravy in called gravy boats?  Not something I've heard of since dinner at my Nana's house decades ago to be fair...might have the wrong term,

Not to be confused with gravy trains of course.

Welsh Kate 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

Does a stand-up paddleboard count as a 'boat'? What defines a 'boat'?

Anyway, I've got a SUP

marsbar 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

If kayaks count then 2.  If not 0.  

OP doz 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

If it floats with you on or in it is a boat

OP doz 09 Sep 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Definitely

Unless is one of those stubby things like a giant clog that only floats when you're paddling...and wheretf do you put your legs??

Post edited at 11:06
OP doz 09 Sep 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

Gravy should only be served in a huge bubbling pan with a soup ladle

marsbar 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

No just normal put your legs in type.  One long and one short.  

BigBrother 09 Sep 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> No just normal put your legs in type.  One long and one short.  

That must make walking around hills easier.

bouldery bits 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

> If it floats with you on or in it is a boat

2 surfboards and a body board.

So... 2.4?

GrahamD 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

> Gravy boats I don't understand, and they are most definitely not boats

They are trains, aren't they ?

OP doz 09 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Only for fat cats

ClimberEd 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

If it flies, floats, or f*cks, rent don't buy.

Herdwickmatt 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: send me details, I’m in the market for an inflatable something or other

GrahamD 09 Sep 2020
In reply to ClimberEd:

> If it flies, floats, or f*cks, rent don't buy.

Bloody hell.  My brother married an air stewardess.  Bet he wishes he'd had the rental option. 

toad 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

Narrowboat and a canoe. I'm currently in the canoe. In Norfolk, on the Waveney ( so might be suffolk)

Roadrunner6 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

Just a canoe at my NH house and a SUP at the house we rent.

I had a lovely Zuma sailboat but sold it, hopefully buy another in a few years but for now we cant justify the expense with 3 kids 4 and under.

I miss lake sailing so much.

OP doz 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Sailing is incredible ...when you get it right, feels like hitching a free ride

profitofdoom 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

So a plank would qualify ha ha ha

Sealwife 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

Two sea kayaks - one glass, one plastic.

Mr S has an elderly sailing boat which I could use if chose to, but to my surprise, I don’t really like sailing much

LastBoyScout 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

3 - one kayak, one sit-on-top and an inflatable dinghy from my stag weekend.

I'd like to add a SUP to the collection, but they seem ridiculous money for what they are, even 2nd hand!

Oceanrower 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

I used to race Thundercats (small inflatables with BIG engines) but that gets painful after a while. Also had an ocean rowing boat which got me from the Canary Islands to Barbados in just about one piece. 

I've have had many boats over the years including living on a narrow boat for a while but I'm now down to one small sailing boat in the most incredible marina in Essex.

https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/seasonal-weather-ess...

mick taylor 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

Really cool!

Roadrunner6 09 Sep 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

Ahh so your name means something. That's cool. That must be so committing.

WaterMonkey 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

Ok,

1 actual yacht. An Invicta 26 full keel.

1 inflatable tender for said yacht

1 Kayak

2 surfboards

About 7 windsurfing boards

Billhook 09 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

Two open canoes

One Kayak.

Incidently the difference between a boat and a ship is:- You can put a boat on a ship, but you cannot put a ship on a boat.  

mike123 09 Sep 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I'd like to add a SUP to the collection, but they seem ridiculous money for what they are, even 2nd hand!

a few weeks ago there was a SUP advertised on booths notice board in keswick , " punctured    Requires repair ...£50 " . As my kids have been asking for one and thinking that they can't be that hard to fix   I phoned up while stood in front of the notice , they  answered:   " sorry ,the notice has only been up a few hours , you're the fith person to call , it sold in less than hour " 

LastBoyScout 10 Sep 2020
In reply to mike123:

They seem to be selling within minutes of being listed on Facebook Marketplace.

Almost managed to buy one a couple of weeks ago. Listed 16 minutes previously, contacted seller, yes, no problem, trying to arrange collection, no response then a sorry, lots of interest, sold to someone else that offered 4x the asking price!

ThunderCat 10 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

> Sailing is incredible ...when you get it right, feels like hitching a free ride

I did my level dingy sailing course last year and I loved it.  Must get back in one now that the sailing club is open.  That feeling when the wind fills the sail and you feel the strength behind it was great.

ThunderCat 10 Sep 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> 3 - one kayak, one sit-on-top and an inflatable dinghy from my stag weekend.

The only downside to the first one is how cold it can get.  Because as you know...

You can't have your kayak and heat it.

badumm tish......

Wainers44 10 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

In the general sense of the word "boat" ie floaty thing, err 8.

That's 2 kayaks,  an SUP, and 5 surf boards. Real boat sank years ago

mondite 10 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

Just the one kayak currently.

WaterMonkey 10 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

So what are your 7?

OP doz 10 Sep 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Three Canadian canoes...one a packhorse for the kids to thrash down rivers, one that I rebuilt for a friend but was never reclaimed and a Pyrannha Prospector, no longer made but a thing of beauty, equally at home running rapids or sailing West coast lochs

A Wayfarer 16ft sail boat, small enough to explore coast lines, sturdy enough to head out into the big blue yonder

My latest pride and joy... a Rockpool alaw bach seakayak swapped in a Speyside field with a kind fella from Lewis for my old boat I had never really got to grips with

A wee inflatable with an ancient  outboard for takin Mrs Doz across the estuary at the crack of dawn to the bakers on our summer holidays

And a 15ft RIB ostensibly bought to keep the small dozs sweet ...never thought I'd be tempted to the dark side but ain't a bad feeling planing down Loch Sunart at 50 knots in the knowledge you'll be sat eating cake at a Tobermory cafe in half an hour ...last time I sailed it took two days

...but then again I still prefer sailing

Trangia 10 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

I used to covert a sailing yacht, but there was no way I could afford to buy or maintain one, so I just had to enjoy looking at them. Then a friend bought one, but he found it too much of a handful to sail single highhandedly and approached me to see if I'd be willing to crew for him. I agreed and went further by getting my Competent Crew  ticket, followed by a Day Skipper's ticket which meant we could start sailing together further afield, and being on the South Coast this meant that we sailed much of the coastline between Dover and the Isle of Wight, as well as quite often doing sorties to the French Coast and Channel Islands. I did my Competent Crew practical from Gibraltar sailing along the  Spanish Atlantic coat and crossed to Ceuta, North Africa.

Sadly my friend had to sell his yacht a few years ago and he died last year, but we had enjoyed my years of sailing. I used to feel guilty that I might be "sponging" off him by using his boat, but he said no way, it was me who was doing him a favour by crewing regularly for him and standing watches, often at night, when crossing the channel.

I also once spent 10 days crewing on a tall ship cruising around the Canary Islands - a very different experience to crewing on a yacht and really enjoyed climbing up in the rigging and going out along the yard arms to furl sails.

I enjoyed sailing as much as climbing and one of my favourite adventurers who combined both ways of life was Bill Tilman. His Sailing and Mountaineering books are masterpieces.

Tringa 10 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

Two, a Wayfarer and a Tinker Traveller.

Dave

Oceanrower 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Ahh so your name means something. That's cool. That must be so committing.

The planning, maybe not surprisingly, more than the actual row. Two years of organising and raising funds for a couple of months afloat. Well worth it though.

There's a saying. If you can get to the start, you'll gave no problem getting across...

kevin stephens 12 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

One. Rockpool Isel sea kayak. Don’t need or want any more

mutt 12 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

A laser and a national 12 and a paddleboard taking shape in the garage.

Alyson30 12 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

> Love em...

> How many have you got?

> Currently seven...not bragging or anything

One. A small cruiser. It really is not much to look at (it’s ugly as f*ck) but unbelievably well equipped and practical. The Skoda Octavia of the sea of sorts.

In reply to Trangia:

there's not a better feeling in the world then being aloft! especially at night.. i crewed for 2 years on a tall ship out of cornwall and has to be the best job I've had.

David Lanceley 12 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

A Bavaria 38, 38 foot, 8 berth cruising yacht.  I keep her at Craobh marina just south of Oban on the west cost of Scotland.

Removed User 12 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

Just done a quick trip up and down the Menai Straits in a 500hp Rib I used to run on the Costa del sol and finished the day on a paddle board on the Seiont coming out of lake Padarn.

Just for contrast 

Roadrunner6 12 Sep 2020
In reply to mutt:

I had a small laser I used to race in the Madoc estuary, it was so much fun to sail. My aim is to buy one when my wife finally finishes all her training.

kamala 12 Sep 2020
In reply to doz:

Six: 2 sea kayaks, 2 K1s, a K2 and a C1.

All boarded out at various friends' houses, so they firmly veto my acquiring any more! Otherwise I'd also have a surfski and an SUP and a C2 and a ...

I used to paddle daily on Llyn Padarn, the Conwy, or the sea around Anglesey/Menai Straits, so I might have seen a few of you on this thread somewhere in the distance.

(Not got back to regular paddling since I was ill, though.)

JimR 13 Sep 2020
In reply to kamala:

Moody S38 sailing yacht I keep on the Orwell. A lot of climbers I know are also into sailing

WaterMonkey 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Alyson30:

It’s a Centaur isn’t it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...