UKC

Boiler heating question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 20 Apr 2018

Its that time of year when i make the move from heating & water to water only on the boiler. 

When I flicked the switch to water only mode, the bloody heating still comes on. 

System is a gas boiler with a water tank in the airing cupboard and a randell 102e control unit. 

any ideas? the control unit guide doesn't include a troubleshooting guide. 

Oceanrower 20 Apr 2018
In reply to goldmember:

Can't you just turn the thermostat down as far as it will go? Should stop the heating coming on.

Post edited at 20:53
 robhorton 20 Apr 2018
In reply to goldmember:

There's normally a valve which switches between heating and hot water - that may have seized or the electronic actuator broken. You could try removing the actuator and operating the valve with some pliers.

Neil Williams 20 Apr 2018
In reply to robhorton:

In some "classic" (system boiler i.e. with hot water cylinder) systems like my parents' previous boiler there isn't such a valve.  The only difference in that case between heating mode and hot water mode is that the pump doesn't operate in hot water mode, but some water does circulate naturally and warm a few radiators.

marsbar 20 Apr 2018
In reply to goldmember:

Assuming it was fine last year then valve.  If you don’t know that it was fine before it could be wiring.  

marsbar 20 Apr 2018
In reply to goldmember:

Do you have a back up electric immersion heater?  You could use that instead if you are too hot with the heating on.  

pec 20 Apr 2018
In reply to marsbar:

> Do you have a back up electric immersion heater?  You could use that instead if you are too hot with the heating on.  

Or just turn all the radiators off!

OP goldmember 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Oceanrower:

> Can't you just turn the thermostat down as far as it will go? Should stop the heating coming on.

The thermostat and receiver have never work we just run then system on a timer 

In reply to robhorton:

> There's normally a valve which switches between heating and hot water - that may have seized or the electronic actuator broken. You could try removing the actuator and operating the valve with some pliers.

What's an actuator? Where does it normally live? 

In reply to marsbar:

Sadly not 

In reply to pec:

I like this the simplest solutions are often the best

marsbar 20 Apr 2018
In reply to pec:

Sometimes there is deliberately one radiator you can’t turn off as part of the setup. 

Chris Ebbutt 20 Apr 2018
In reply to marsbar:

Assuming you have a mid position 3 way valve, most likely is either a stuck actuator or let by on the rubber washer inside the Body of the valve. Watch the lever on the side of the valve as you turn heating on and off with hot water demand on as well, if it doesn’t motor over motor gone, if hw only on and lever returned to hw position but heat gradually comes down ch pipe then probably let by. Often the actuator will Burn out because the body of the valve is stiff or seized.

hope that helps, obviously turn off your rads on there own valves as an instant fix.

cheers Chris

gethin_allen 20 Apr 2018
In reply to goldmember:

> What's an actuator? Where does it normally live? 

It looks something like this:-

https://www.jtatkinson.co.uk/danfoss-hp22-complete-2-port-motorised-valve-a...

And will normally be found somewhere near the hot water tank and pump.

You can easily separate the motor from the valve. You may find the valve difficult to move so if you try to turn it a bit with a spanner or pliers to loosen things up (maybe with a bit of WD40 applied) you may be lucky. If you turn the heating on you should see the motor moving. If not then you've found your problem. For the summer, if you don't want the heating on then you can just leave the motor off the valve and set it to water heating only

pec 21 Apr 2018
In reply to marsbar:

> Sometimes there is deliberately one radiator you can’t turn off as part of the setup. 

Often with combi boilers there is although most have an internal bypass these days. On a conventional vented system there's no need for a radiator you can't turn off as the flow and return to the HW tank acts as a bypass and its an unpressurised vented setup anyway.

For the OP, continuing to heat water from the gas boiler will be cheaper and more controllable (i.e. on a timer) than by using an immersion heater until he can get the problem diagnosed and fixed. My guess is the motorised valve is stuck open that diverts the flow to/from the radiators and HW tank.

marsbar 21 Apr 2018
In reply to pec:

Some immersion heaters are on timer too, anyhow he doesn’t have one, so it doesn’t matter.  

Thanks for clarifying about the combi vs invented, it makes sense now I think about it.  

Post edited at 11:21
 Wsdconst 21 Apr 2018
In reply to goldmember:

Sounds like the diverter valve letting though, what model boiler is it ? 

Post edited at 17:33
OP goldmember 21 Apr 2018
In reply to Wsdconst:

> Sounds like the diverter valve letting though, what model boiler is it ? 

Boiler is baxi solo 18.

Had a look at the diverter seems fine. Moving freely circuit seems ok

Chris Ebbutt 22 Apr 2018
In reply to goldmember:

From cold system turn on hw only, ch off and put your hands on the pipes leaving the 3 port valve, the hw pipe to cylinder should get hot pretty quickly and the ch stay cold. If it also warms up and the motor has stayed in the correct hw position then the rubber inside the valve is not sealing allowing let by.

replace valve.

cheers Chris 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...