UKC

Bone ID

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 28 Apr 2021

Friend of mine found this lot in their garden. Any ideas?  

plyometrics 28 Apr 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

One half of Lord Lucan’s pubis?

wercat 28 Apr 2021

call the Midsomer Constabulary

Took me a few seconds to work out it was a reflection of washing on a line in the table glass.

Whoever buried the body shouldn't have buried the murder weapon with it.

Lankyman 28 Apr 2021

> Friend of mine found this lot in their garden. Any ideas?  

Professor Plum, in the conservatory with a ....... window frame?

CantClimbTom 28 Apr 2021

On the left it looks there is a wing, is it a unicorn?

It does look like the lower part of the pelvic bone. Not sure whether it's human, though...

Oh, and an old boot on the left.

If your 'friend' needs the garden digging a bit more, maybe have a word with the police; they may want to fig a bit further...

Post edited at 13:39
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Unicorns don't have wings.  Pegasus did, and alicorns do, but unicorns, no.  And yes, I'm a fully paid up pedant.

Sir Chasm 28 Apr 2021
In reply to martinturnchapel:

> Unicorns don't have wings. 

Prove it.

Ridge 28 Apr 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> If your 'friend' needs the garden digging a bit more, maybe have a word with the police; they may want to dig a bit further...

Sssh. That's my cunning plan to get our allotment dug over.

Judging by the bits of metal it might be a Terminator of some description, or a Cyberman.

Roadrunner6 28 Apr 2021

If it's pelvic if you turn it over you should see the ball shaped socket.

DerwentDiluted 28 Apr 2021

The boot looks like a British Army boot from WW1 era but a lot of surplus were sold off for colliery and industrial use. The sawn off bone suggests this is a rubbish dump for kitchen scraps and domestic waste and nothing sinister. The bucket handle supports this. Does your friend live near the site of an old army camp, colliery, factory or rail site?  I once dug out part of a WW1 camp and it was full of identical items - lots of bones and oyster shells, plus bottles and crockery. I concluded that modern sensibilities around cuts of meat mean we don't eat much off the Pelvis and Skull these days but back in the day nowt were wasted. I suppose a forensic anthropologist should rule out foul play but my guess would be ovine or porcine.

Post edited at 18:13
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

It’s from the Isle of Man. 

In reply to Roadrunner6:

> If it's pelvic if you turn it over you should see the ball shaped socket.

What animal do you reckon?

Roadrunner6 28 Apr 2021

Hard to say, I'd guess not human, I'm next to a skeleton now (I teach anatomy) and the large opening (obturator foramen) looks too oblong and regular shaped. I'd guess pig or cow but no idea. How big is it?

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Size ? Will try and find out. 

CantClimbTom 28 Apr 2021
In reply to martinturnchapel:

> Unicorns don't have wings.  Pegasus did, and alicorns do, but unicorns, no.  And yes, I'm a fully paid up pedant.

Right, have to pop upstairs and tell my youngest that her favourite toy isn't a unicorn. Just got to go and burst a childhood bubble, I'll be back in a minute!

In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Right, have to pop upstairs and tell my youngest that her favourite toy isn't a unicorn. Just got to go and burst a childhood bubble, I'll be back in a minute!

STOP!  Get some wings from an airfix spitfire or anything and glue them on the unicorn. They probably wouldn’t notice and they can keep their delusion going...

Dave Todd 28 Apr 2021

> STOP!  Get some wings from an airfix spitfire or anything and glue them on the unicorn. They probably wouldn’t notice and they can keep their delusion going...

Get some off a Sopwith Camel - that'll look even cooler.

(or maybe a Lancaster...)

Lankyman 28 Apr 2021

> It’s from the Isle of Man. 

Are there three legs?

Toerag 29 Apr 2021

Her Unicorn probably already does have wings like the one my daughter has. Toy manufacturers aren't into factual accuracy with fantasy creatures, plenty of unicorn toys also have wings.

Welsh Kate 29 Apr 2021

Just bumped into a colleague at work who's an osteoarchaeologist.

Cow or pig from what she can tell from the photo, but it depends on size.

Bones sawn so context modern. Obviously 'modern' is relative to an archaeologist! 

hang_about 29 Apr 2021

The square object is from the earliest iPhone

tjhare1 29 Apr 2021

Resident farmy vet reckons bovine rather than porcine, but tricky given scale.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...