UKC

Boris and humbug

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 26 Sep 2019
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Just another Donald Trump. How far we’ve fallen. 

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Just another Donald Trump. How far we’ve fallen. 

Utterly depressing. 

Removed User 26 Sep 2019

I'm just very sad that the death of Jo Cox has used in this way.

I watched the entire proceedings on the BBC. I wanted to see, in real time, how the debate panned out and not edited sound bites. Clearly Paula Sheriff, who I use to work alongside as a trade union steward, was very agitated. There were some very heated exchanges and the PM consistently avoided answering reasonable questions. Suggesting that Jo Cox's memory could be honoured by getting Brexit done is hugely offensive. 

Glad to hear Brendan Cox conciliatory interview on Radio 5 this morning.

Jim Hamilton 27 Sep 2019

> Yep, all just humbug. 

Jess Phillips, who threatened Corbyn "I won't knife you in the back, I'll knife you in the front"?! 

MG 27 Sep 2019
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

> Jess Phillips, who threatened Corbyn "I won't knife you in the back, I'll knife you in the front"?! 

Ill-advised perhaps but clearly metaphorical, unlike much of the current rhetoric.

MonkeyPuzzle 27 Sep 2019

Rumblings that "surrender" in particular being protected by the government as will feature heavily in GE campaign after "cutting through" in focus groups. If so this isn't careless language it's incitement.

Jim Hamilton 27 Sep 2019
In reply to MG:

> Ill-advised perhaps but clearly metaphorical, unlike much of the current rhetoric.

I don't think Boris (and him not anyone else) really wants to be "found dead in a ditch".

So you're OK lumping in a metaphorical bit of speak with some random bloke banging on the office windows of a politician, who are so fearful (her staff, I believe Jess wasn't there) they need to lock themselves in?

Now I see why we're in the mess we're in. 

Jim Hamilton 27 Sep 2019

> So you're OK lumping in a metaphorical bit of speak with some random bloke banging on the office windows of a politician, who are so fearful (her staff, I believe Jess wasn't there) they need to lock themselves in?

Eh?  Isn't that what the article you posted is doing?

> Now I see why we're in the mess we're in. 

Are you sure?!

MG 27 Sep 2019

> I don't think Boris (and him not anyone else) really wants to be "found dead in a ditch".

And no one objects to him saying that. 

Post edited at 18:51
 Tyler 27 Sep 2019

> Jess Phillips, who threatened Corbyn "I won't knife you in the back, I'll knife you in the front"?! 

The difference is the govt have repeatedly talked up the threat of violence by disaffected Brexiters and used it as a reason as to why "Brexit must be delivered". On the other hand it has been able to ignore all displays of Remainer disaffection (including demonstrations nearly a thousand times larger than any brexit demo) because it doesn't come with the associated malevolence 

Dax H 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Tyler:

> On the other hand it has been able to ignore all displays of Remainer disaffection (including demonstrations nearly a thousand times larger than any brexit demo) because it doesn't come with the associated malevolence 

No one goes to Brexit demos because we are being repeatedly told we will Brexit. If things change in a GE or second referendum I would expect leave demos every bit as big as the current remain ones and the remain demos to drop drastically in size. 

Tyler 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Dax H:

> No one goes to Brexit demos because we are being repeatedly told we will Brexit. If things change in a GE or second referendum I would expect leave demos every bit as big as the current remain ones and the remain demos to drop drastically in size. 

Who knows but that wasn't my point. My point was that the govt are constantly playing up the fact that violence from Brexiters is a very real danger so either they believe this and need to stop the incitement or they need to wind back on the rhetoric and accept the fact that the strength of feeling is as great on both sides. 

wercat 29 Sep 2019
In reply to Tyler:

certainly shows that we are to conclude from the Appease.gov.uk stance that violence or the threat of it pays off!  

Meanwhile The "leader" of the House calls us all Remoaners.   Bastard

Post edited at 22:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...