UKC

/ Boris' New Friends

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
krikoman - on 13 Apr 2018

Boris has tweeted "Congratulations to Fidesz and Viktor Orban on winning the elections in Hungary, We look forward to working with our Hungarian friends to further develop our close partnership."

Should I be expecting outrage and incredulity from the UK media, friends indeed!!!

L David Cohen - on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Orban and his followers have some very distasteful views on a whole raft of subjects and many of their policies are truly offensive.

However, as for criticising Boris, you do realise that his job requires him to make diplomatic statements (not that he's a diplomat, far from it) and 'congratulating' an EU head of state on his/her election is bread and butter diplomacy.

krikoman - on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to David Cohen:

> However, as for criticising Boris, you do realise that his job requires him to make diplomatic statements (not that he's a diplomat, far from it) and 'congratulating' an EU head of state on his/her election is bread and butter diplomacy.

Of course I realise he's a politician and he might have to meet with some people he might not necessarily agree with, but does he really have to call them friends?

Postmanpat on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> Of course I realise he's a politician and he might have to meet with some people he might not necessarily agree with, but does he really have to call them friends?

I wonder where he got that idea from ?

L David Cohen - on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Postmanpat:

I think the difference is Corbyn doesn't appear to meet with anyone he disagrees with and Boris is in the cabinet so cannot avoid them

Postmanpat on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to David Cohen:

> I think the difference is Corbyn doesn't appear to meet with anyone he disagrees with and Boris is in the cabinet so cannot avoid them

And also that Corbyn is a man of famously great integrity so means it when he calls people "friends", whereas Boris has no integrity and therefore doesn't mean it.

bouldery bits - on 13 Apr 2018
In reply to krikoman:

What would you have preferred he called them?

Mates?

Lads?

Silly sausages?

Legends?

aln - on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

> What would you have preferred he called them?

> C*nts? 

Big Ger - on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> Of course I realise he's a politician and he might have to meet with some people he might not necessarily agree with, but does he really have to call them friends?

What would you suggest; "Fellow Europeans"? "Brothers under the EU flag"? "Lovey darlings"?

Lusk - on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

They get around 3.5 billion Euros a year off the EU, so, they must be friends!

Big Ger - on 14 Apr 2018
In reply to Lusk:

> They get around 3.5 billion Euros a year off the EU, so, they must be friends!

Peanuts, just take it out of the £13.1 billion the UK chips in. They should ask for more.

Post edited at 09:32

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.