UKC

Brexit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 15 Mar 2020

Sorry,

Feeling nostalgic.

Please resort to name calling and blinkered fact sharing below.

Post edited at 20:45
 Philip 15 Mar 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

Can't see BoJos desperate pleas for a trade deal being number 1 priority for EU this year. Added to that most of the oldies who sold us down the river will be wiped out anyway. We should have another referendum now.

DerwentDiluted 15 Mar 2020

I think there will be some appetite for reducing some exports from China....

Post edited at 20:53
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

I think we're still away from the average Joe preferring the well made, pricey, product over the cheap shit.

lorentz 15 Mar 2020

This has been posted before by Kevin Stephens on the "Corona killed the Brexit thread" thread, but bears repeating...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2020/mar/14/the-monster-l...

DerwentDiluted 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> I think we're still away from the average Joe preferring the well made, pricey, product over the cheap shit.

I don't mind buying cheap shit, its the killer viruses I'd like to see tarriffs on.

mullermn 15 Mar 2020

I’m just glad we scared off all those European NHS workers. Imagine what a dead weight they’d be now. 

Coming over here, operating our ICUs...

wercat 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Philip:

so how will the virus know how we voted?

Mark Edwards 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Philip:

> ... the oldies who sold us down the river will be wiped out anyway. We should have another referendum now.

Typical child, no concept of playing the long game. If you are counting on the reduction of the oldies to overturn the result, shouldn’t you at least wait a few months for them to actually be gone?

Another thing worth pointing out is, why do you think those with significant experience of the EU are mostly against it when those with very little experience (and a significant number of those terrified of any form of change) are for?

The acid test is what happens once this latest virus is under control? Who recovers fastest (or at all), the UK or the EU?

“Please resort to name calling and blinkered fact sharing below.” Tick.

Andy Hardy 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Mark Edwards:

>

> Another thing worth pointing out is, why do you think those with significant experience of the EU are mostly against it when those with very little experience (and a significant number of those terrified of any form of change) are for?

I think you're confusing "those with experience of the EU" with "those whose opinions on the EU have been shaped by 40 years of lies from the media"

George Ormerod 16 Mar 2020

In reply to NERD:

A cursory google reveals lists of hundreds. The Times sacked Boris for making shit up about the EU when he was their Brussels correspondent. 

In reply to NERD:

> What lies did the media tell people about the EU? 

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/the-eu-have-archived-all-of-the-euro...

The EU used to have a 'Euromyths' web page archiving all the lies, dating back to 1996. But they've obviously given up on us, as the page no longer seems to be available. Can't say I blame them.

Post edited at 00:16
 Timmd 16 Mar 2020

In reply to NERD:

> OK, just give me a few examples of the worst lies told, in your opinion. 

https://thenextweb.com/eu/2018/02/20/the-eu-maintains-an-amazing-list-of-my...

The myth that Brussels was wanting to implement an EU wide national curriculum was a pretty serious lie imo, just the thing to spark outrage. 

Timmd 16 Mar 2020

> Typical child, no concept of playing the long game. If you are counting on the reduction of the oldies to overturn the result, shouldn’t you at least wait a few months for them to actually be gone?

> Another thing worth pointing out is, why do you think those with significant experience of the EU are mostly against it when those with very little experience (and a significant number of those terrified of any form of change) are for?

'Those with very little experience'; I can't help thinking that the people I know in their 40's who've worked and lived in other countries within the EU as well as the UK while working in multinationals which have traded within said block and with countries outside of it (who voted Remain), have a fair amount of experience of the EU. What are your definitions for 'significant' and 'very little'?

Post edited at 01:03
 deepsoup 16 Mar 2020

In reply to NERD:

There are a gazillion examples, but reading the news right now one that springs immediately to mind is this:

I distinctly remember being told during the referendum campaign that membership of the EU (let alone, god forbid, being in the Schengen area) meant that member states were not allowed to control or close their borders if it became necessary during some hypothetical emergency.

HansStuttgart 16 Mar 2020

In reply to NERD:

> OK, just give me a few examples of the worst lies told, in your opinion. 

From Leave: Leaving the EU will be easy.

From Remain: Remain and Reform.

But the media is not to be blamed for those. They were just amplifying politicians that spoke these lies because the people wanted to hear them.

Bob Kemp 16 Mar 2020
 Rob Exile Ward 16 Mar 2020

In reply to NERD:

'What lies did the media tell people about the EU? '

Priceless.

lorentz 16 Mar 2020

Ahhhh. That's better!! I've MISSED this!! I'm feeling better about the whole Covid 19 thing already!

In the words of Eric Cartman.

"I love you guys...   

... Screw you guys!"

wercat 16 Mar 2020

In reply to NERD:

I wish you'd stop spouting rubbish.  One of my first votes as an adult was to vote to stay in, which won by a massive 66%, a clear mandate unlike your flimsy result to leave.  My experience tells me that we should not have taken such a stupid destructive decision.  And I can assure you that the press were reporting against the EU from the very start.

Can you remember the bitter complaints in the very early 1970s about us not having the freedom to miswire our 13 amp plugs because "Europe" wanted them to be moulded on?

The moaning before we ever joined the EEC over losing Megacycles in favour of MegaHertz?   OK I quite like Megacycles and kilocycles but nothing to condemn Europe over but that is just our shite press.

We should be grateful that wavelength isn't measured in imperial measures thanks to that lot but I suppose we now have the Sovereignty to bring that about.  Let's see how the Crimson Assurance fares in the new order after Coronavirus.

Everyone seems to have forgotten how expensive cars were in the UK before there was intervention over this unfairness.

Post edited at 09:53
 Ian W 16 Mar 2020

In reply to NERD:

https://thenextweb.com/eu/2018/02/20/the-eu-maintains-an-amazing-list-of-my...

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/the-eu-have-archived-all-of-the-euro...

https://wayback.archive-it.org/11980/20191016144703/https://blogs.ec.europa...

www.google.co.uk

Its really not difficult. Have a search yourself; one of the joys of the internet and a questioning / inquisitive mind is where it can take you in the quest for knowledge. Try that rather than just demanding "tell me where!, tell me where!". That is the type of attitude that got us into this mess; accepting what others said / wrote without question.

The most amazing thing is that even now when government is telling us that 60% of us are going to catch a potentially fatal disease, 7.9 million of us could need intensive care treatment and hundreds of thousands will die they are *still* saying we will leave the EU on schedule.

They are complete f*cking morons.

In reply to NERD:

This took 30 seconds to find:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3650533/Is-David-Cameron-lying-Tur...

The idea that the EU was lining up to admit Turkey just as soon as possible was just racist, scare-mongering nonsense.

This article is a particularly juicy morsel, with a bonus mention of the £350 million a week we were supposed to be sending to the EU (but never in fact were.)

In reply to NERD:

> The government is ready to leave without a deal. Tory voters won't except another extension. If the EU doesn't offer us a good deal then we're leaving without one. 

Do you really think it is at all sensible to kick in a second major upheaval and distraction in the middle of an epidemic which government predicts is going to kill hundreds of thousands of people and put 8 million people in hospital.

The EU doesn't have time to talk about Brexit and deals at the moment.  If the Tories had any sense we wouldn't either.   Sensible people would say f*ck this, lets put the whole thing on ice and leave stuff alone until the coronavirus epidemic is over.

Tory party members have an average age of 72.  If Brexit is still their main concern they are contenders for a Darwin award.

In reply to NERD:

Oo look, here's some more:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1340170/the-barmy-eu-rules-we-can-now-free-ou...

Sadly, the reality:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6481969.stm

Tragically that dates from 2007 yet the same lies were still being peddled during the referendum.

wercat 16 Mar 2020

In reply to NERD:

you think I'd have an evens chance of convincing you?

In reply to wercat:

I *think* - and I might be wrong - that there was an implicit threat in his invitation. There certainly was in his similar invitation to me.  

wercat 16 Mar 2020

In reply to NERD:

I just think you need to stop spouting untruths about the EU

wercat 16 Mar 2020

In reply to NERD:

refuting that there is a history of lies attacking European legislation.

stories like this https://www.itv.com/news/2019-07-18/eu-theres-something-fishy-about-johnson...

Post edited at 14:52

In reply to NERD:

Right, that's a really great example. What the EU was TRYING to do was standardise descriptions of product being traded within the EU; so, for example, if an importer was trying to decide whether to import 'Class 1' cucumbers from, say, Spain or Bulgaria, he or she could at least be sure that  there were of equivalent quality, and could focus on other aspects such as price, delivery, reliability of supply etc. That seem a reasonable thing to try, even if it were maybe over prescriptive in the case of bananas and cucumbers. But it certainly wasn't barmy.

mondite 16 Mar 2020

In reply to NERD:

> Well that's what you think, but brexiteers disagree. Was the article lying? 

Yes or at the minimum being economical with the truth. "bendy bananas" werent "banned". It is just the grade you could give them varied according to the deformity.

Post edited at 15:16
 GrahamD 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Thing about China is they're capable of well made AND relatively cheap.  UKs telecomms network, for a start.

colinakmc 16 Mar 2020

This: 

Covid-19: force of nature.

Brexit: epic act of self harm.

Nope, won’t miss it.

Mark Edwards 16 Mar 2020

> “Please resort to name calling and blinkered fact sharing below.” Tick.

Damn, has no-one got a sense of humour anymore?

FFS, people, let’s have a laugh (as what’s the alternative – OK you could curl up in a hole, but where’s the fun in that).

youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M&

I have worked with military folk from all over the planet, so perhaps my sense of humour is slightly off centre but then again what would you expect?

youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg86CRBBtw&

Let’s be careful out there. Sorry for any offense.

Best wishes for you and yours.

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...