UKC

Brexit and poppies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 owlart 06 Nov 2022

I was talking to the guys on the British Legion Poppy Stand in town today, and they were saying that there is currently a container load of Poppy Appeal fundraising merchendise stuck in port due to Brexit-related customs issues. By the time that's released and gets to the warehouse it will be too late for it to go on sale pre Nov 11, so will be a loss for the Legion. So, if you see someone wearing a 2021 lapel pin this year, don't assume they're too mean to buy a 2022 one, it may be that was all they could get. I see the online shop has them in stock, but it seems rather wasteful to get one pin posted out.

Post edited at 13:24
 Jenny C 06 Nov 2022
In reply to owlart:

I always put money in the box but am more than happy to reuse previous years memorabilia. If you don't take a poppy its more money to the charity.

Dax H 06 Nov 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

Me too, what with avoiding public places due to covid I missed the last few years collections so I bunged a tenner in the box last week, they looked at me like I was daft when I said I didn't want a poppy or badge or wrist band. As you say it's more to the charity, might not be much but it all helps. 

In reply to owlart:

Poppies, held up by red tape...?

Maggot 06 Nov 2022
In reply to owlart:

Why aren't we making our own?

Are they being made in a factory next door to our passport printing facility?

In reply to owlart:

Your post tries to equate 3 quite separate issues:

1) A personal act of remembrance, which may (or may not) include wearing a visible token, attending a parade/ cenotaph/ religious ceremony, silences, private reflection etc.

2) A charitable donation of money, goods or time to service charities / RBL/ peace charities etc.

3) Virtue signalling by being seen to purchase merchandise / "this season's poppy". 

wercat 06 Nov 2022
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

your presumption only

Removed User 06 Nov 2022
In reply to owlart:

Poppy fascism and brexiteers go hand in hand I imagine.

alx 06 Nov 2022
In reply to Maggot:

Too much hard work.

Dave Garnett 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

> I always put money in the box but am more than happy to reuse previous years memorabilia. If you don't take a poppy its more money to the charity.

I always put money in the box but am happy not to wear a poppy at all.  Don’t really know why I’m so ambivalent about it but it might have something to do with politicians and tv presenters starting to wear them a month early.

Ridge 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I must admit I put money in (and do take a paper poppy in case it causes offence to the seller if I don't) but often don't wear it.

The whole spangly diamante poppy thing (as sported by 'celebs') grates a bit. The original point of the paper poppy was that everyone had the same emblem, regardless of how much you contributed.

Harry Jarvis 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Maggot:

> Why aren't we making our own?

They are made in the UK:

https://www.poppyfactory.org/poppies/

In Scotland, they are made at the Lady Haig factory in Edinburgh:

https://www.poppyscotland.org.uk/lady-haigs-poppy-factory/home

Post edited at 11:26
 Ian W 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Maggot:

> Why aren't we making our own?

> Are they being made in a factory next door to our passport printing facility?

They are assembled in the UK, but some components are imported.

Toerag 07 Nov 2022
In reply to owlart:

Rather bizarrely,  I got given a '100 years of the fire service' rather nice enamel pin badge poppy last week. Our cliff rescue team (of which I'm a member) are part of our fire brigade which is 100 years old this year.  Seems strange to conflate the anniversary with remembrance day as I don't think there's anything particular tying the two together.

jimtitt 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Toerag:

Probably a vague glorification by association (I couldn't think of a kinder way to put it). The National Fire Service was formed in the war by almalgamating  the local brigades with the Auxiliary Fire Service and while this was volountary it was also possible to be conscripted into this though it didn't come under the Ministry of Defense. I worked with a guy from London who was (conscripted), this was a bit problematic as he also operated an anti-aircraft gun in the Thames Estuary as well as his day job as an apprentice mechanic. The problem was resolved by the conscription officer moving him to an anti-aircraft battery and he ended up in N Africa then Italy.

ColdWill 07 Nov 2022
In reply to owlart:

Don't see a shortage anywhere.

OP owlart 08 Nov 2022
In reply to ColdWill:

So what did they mean when they said "Sorry, we haven't got any 2022 lapel pins because there's a container load of stuff stuck in port"? Do you think they were hiding them under the table until after I left? Not having any for sale sounds like a shortage to me.

In reply to owlart:

I got a lapel pin with my poppy.

But I’m sure that the rank and file volunteers (who do an excellent job by the way) are fully informed of the charity’s wider logistics and manufacturing operations, so I can’t imagine for a second that the chap you spoke to might have told a porky to brighten up a dull day.

Post edited at 15:27

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...