UKC

Brexit: Nissan commits to keep making cars in Sun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cp123 22 Jan 2021

A good News story about Sunderland, with battery making jobs arriving after the UK maintaining a competitive edge post the trade deal. It seems like its not all confiscated sandwiches and unsurprising extra payments on European postage:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55757930

Tyler 22 Jan 2021
In reply to cp123:

Great news but what’s it got to do with Brexit?

cp123 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Tyler:

You didn't read as far as the title, nor the first sentence then....

Post edited at 15:29
In reply to cp123:

£80 million well spent... 

Trevers 22 Jan 2021
In reply to cp123:

The article appears to suggest they wouldn't have committed had we not left the EU without really explaining why. What's the rational basis for this? How does Brexit currently make Sunderland more competitive? Or is this assuming further changes to employment and environmental protections in the pipeline that we're not currently aware of?

Tyler 22 Jan 2021
In reply to cp123:

I read the whole thing. I interpreted “as a result of the trade” as meaning ‘when compared to no deal’. Are you interpreting it to mean ‘when compared to staying in the EU’?

stevieb 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Trevers:

> The article appears to suggest they wouldn't have committed had we not left the EU without really explaining why. What's the rational basis for this? How does Brexit currently make Sunderland more competitive? 

It looks like Nissan had to onshore the batteries to ensure U.K. built cars met the terms of rules of origin. As long as cars are made in the U.K., 55% of value must come from the U.K. or the EU.

It’s hard to tell if this strengthens or weakens Sunderland in the long term. 

ScraggyGoat 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Trevers:

..and/or hard cash, tax breaks from UK gov as a sweetener that have yet to be announced....I think you and I are on the same cynics course. But the flipside is we need new tech manufacturing to be based here. 

Ian W 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Tyler:

nissan have a very strong base in the UK. They would almost certainly have left in the event of no-deal (ie tariffs). THey are basically now operating in a market where for them, everything is the same, except for the exchange rate, which has moved 15 - 20% in their favour over the last 5 years, as a result of brexit weakening the pound. Apart from the currency joys, its basically no change for them, so they can carry on with their investment plans.

Offwidth 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Trevers:

I think it's because of a combination of factors: various estimated government bungs;  a highly productive work force; that we have a conditional EU free trade deal ; that the pound dropped because of brexit; a deal with their (electric car) battery manufacturer to licence production in the UK (to prevent EU tariffs kicking in); and being large meaning additional customs hassle is low cost.

Post edited at 15:58
 wintertree 22 Jan 2021
In reply to cp123:

> You didn't read as far as the title, nor the first sentence then....

Imagine a commenter not taking the time to understand what they're commenting on.  At least  this poster isn't making an error of a factor of 7x when arguing that we should not take so many control measures against Covid.  Because that would be a really stupid thing to do.

wintertree 22 Jan 2021
In reply to thread:

"Brexit didn't wreck this particular applecart" is my take on it - it's not good news, it's an absence of catastrophic news, with Brexit putting the risk of that catastrophic news on the table.

Is this battery plant the BritishVolt plant, or another one?   I read that citing it here is nothing to do with Brexit, and is only possible because of the trade deal which replicates enough of the pre-Brexit arrangements to make this sensible.  I imagine this co-location would have been happening without Brexit.

cp123 22 Jan 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Yep I admitted I got it wrong - you missed that bit I presume, or does it not fit your point.

A bit like when you admitted to not reading the graph correct, remember that, when you thought Nov 20, Dec 20 Jan 21 meant 20th Nov?

Post edited at 16:25
 wintertree 22 Jan 2021
In reply to cp123:

> A bit like when you admitted to not reading the graph correct, remember that, when you thought Nov 20, Dec 20 Jan 21 meant 20th Nov?

Yes, but my mistake was a rather inconsequential mistake in that the larger point I was making - that you were cherry picking the extreme edge of the confidence interval of the extremal model.  With my mistake corrected, you were still really very wrong through being deliberately selective of the most extremal case and by comparing apples (modelling with no control measures) with oranges (reality with control measures) and by not actually understanding the temporal relationship between the measurable and the lag but gishgalloping it away.

Your mistake was underestimating the number of people who would be hospitalised and go on to die when advocating to reduce control measures by a factor of seven times.   Which sadly has been lost to The Pub but it does show how utterly ill informed the evidence base for your position is.  I misread a graph a bit, you fundamentally misunderstood the most critical point of your argument.

But still, you just won a point on the Internet which appears to be all you actually care about as a self confessed troll in this area.  I'm glad I don't look at the number of people dying in hospital today and feel guilt that this is but a shadow of what I have spent the last 6 months advocating for.

Post edited at 16:36
cp123 23 Jan 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Actually your right, I should have done what you did and just told them to f**k off instead

Still, at least you've calmed down a little, no more caps locks 'blood on you hands' stuff going on.

Post edited at 13:21
 David Riley 23 Jan 2021

EU buyers of our products would have had to pay more if there was no trade deal.   In the EU we paid more for products and components from non-EU countries.   Now we don't. 

wintertree 23 Jan 2021
In reply to cp123:

> Still, at least you've calmed down a little, no more caps locks 'blood on you hands' stuff going on.

You and your repeat posting of misinformation designed to undermine control of covid are below my contempt.  

You present as a nasty piece of work who revels in gloating over what you do.

You have blood on your hands.  

I see your latest misinformation was posted to “Rocktalk” to try and get it a fresh audience.  It’s been shunted to The Pub.  Like many before it.

You think you are being clever.  I do not.  

Post edited at 13:43
 Andy Farnell 23 Jan 2021
In reply to cp123:

So a company who didn't leave, but got £80M to stay is a Brexit bonus? Yeah, of course it is. If you're an idiot.

Andy F

Tyler 23 Jan 2021
In reply to cp123:

> Actually your right, I should have done what you did and just told them to f**k off instead

What you should have done, if you wanted to be taken seriously, is answer my question. What is the relevance to Brexit other than it has not, in this case, made things worse?

Tyler 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

>  In the EU we paid more for products and components from non-EU countries.   Now we don't. 

Under what mechanism has that happened? I thought all deals with non-EU countries had rolled over

David Riley 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Tyler:

The EU required us (and Nissan) to pay import duty.   Now they cannot.

Post edited at 14:05
 Tyler 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

Sounds good, surprised we've not heard more of this. Which goods and countries does this apply to?

Timmd 23 Jan 2021
In reply to cp123:

It's a shame Nissan doesn't have the reputation for reliability it once had, after merging with Renault in the early noughties, I've heard mechanics say the earlier noughties Nissans are okay circa 2004, and they get worse as Renault's influence became more pronounced. 

Post edited at 14:26
 David Riley 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Tyler:

EU members have to pay import duty on goods from non-EU countries.

wynaptomos 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

> EU buyers of our products would have had to pay more if there was no trade deal.   In the EU we paid more for products and components from non-EU countries.   Now we don't. 

Only for countries where we have a new trade deal and the EU does not, right? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think there are any.

Tyler 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

Which countries and which goods? When I first replied it was before your edit and I thought you were talking about the business you work for but now you are saying this is in relation to Nissan and batteries. So which components are now cheaper than before?

Most deals we have are rolled over from the EU on the same terms, what you have said implies either:

1. We have a deal with a country that the EU doesn't, I'm not sire that's the case (unless the Faroe Isles have discovered lithium recently.

2. The EU have a formal deal with some countries that impasse a higher tariff on some goods than is set by the WTO.

Or have I missed something?

Post edited at 14:34
 David Riley 23 Jan 2021
In reply to wynaptomos:

Now we have left the EU, as far as I am aware, there is nothing to say we have to charge import duty on anything. 

fred99 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

> Now we have left the EU, as far as I am aware, there is nothing to say we have to charge import duty on anything. 

Can you categorically state that this Government has ELIMINATED import duty "on anything" since December 31st 2020, and if so can you provide us with a link or other information as to where the proof of your statement can be found ?

Tyler 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

> Now we have left the EU, as far as I am aware, there is nothing to say we have to charge import duty on anything. 

Now I really do feel an idiot. I can't believe I treated one of your posts on this subject seriously after years of you demonstrating a complete lack of understanding or else disingenuousness.

Post edited at 14:43
 David Riley 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Tyler:

I don't know the current details. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can say.  But it was my understanding that import duties were set by the EU and we had to give them the money.  Which obviously no longer happens.

Tyler 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

> I don't know the current details. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can say.

For once you are right, you don't know. People with more knowledge (everybody) has said already; your original statement is incorrect.

So we are back to my original question, which is what has this story got to do with Brexit other than it has not messed it up? The best we have so far is a suggestion that a deal which the govt are uncharacteristically quiet about might possibly breach state aid rules.

Post edited at 14:54
 David Riley 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Tyler:

> Now I really do feel an idiot. I can't believe I treated one of your posts on this subject seriously after years of you demonstrating a complete lack of understanding or else disingenuousness.

I don't believe my statements are wrong.  If they are I would very much like to learn how.  Please tell me.

stevieb 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Tyler:

> So we are back to my original question, which is what has this story got to do with Brexit other than it has not messed it up?

I think this investment has been caused by Brexit for the reason I gave up thread. 
If the Leaf is assembled in the U.K. with Japanese (or US) built batteries, then it will fail the rules of origin requirements, and sales to the EU will incur import duties. If the batteries are built in then U.K. or the EU then they won’t.  
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/nissan-will-build-batterie...

David Riley 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stevieb:

The EU have insisted on the rules of origin to prevent import of goods and re-export to the EU, thus avoiding EU import duty.  So we win both ways.  No EU import duty, and production coming to UK.

stevieb 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

> The EU have insisted on the rules of origin to prevent import of goods and re-export to the EU, thus avoiding EU import duty.  So we win both ways.  No EU import duty, and production coming to UK.

We win while Nissan have the sunk costs of the current production line (and now the battery factory) in Sunderland. 
When they need to spend a huge amount of money on a new production line, it might benefit us, but the lack of flexibility may also count against us. 

Tyler 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stevieb:

> If the Leaf is assembled in the U.K. with Japanese (or US) built batteries, then it will fail the rules of origin requirements, and sales to the EU will incur import duties. If the batteries are built in then U.K. or the EU then they won’t.  

I agree but that’s a benefit of having a deal vs. No deal not a benefit of Brexit over being in the EU. The title of the thread and the OPs posting history makes me certain he wanted this to look like a Brexit dividend rather than Brexit being slightly less of a catastrophe than it would be had we exited on WTO terms (something David Riley had previously spoken in favour of).

Andy Hardy 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

Read this https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/tif_e/fact2_e.htm#:~:text=Mos...(MFN,for%20all%20other%20WTO%20members.

stevieb 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Tyler:

It’s not a benefit per se, but it looks like it is an investment in the U.K. which has been forced on Nissan by Brexit, which would probably not have happened without Brexit. Nissan have been forced to move manufacturing into Europe (and the Channel chaos has probably encouraged them to move it to the U.K. if that was in doubt)

Tyler 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

> I don't believe my statements are wrong.  If they are I would very much like to learn how.  Please tell me.

So we’re back to this? Having said in your previous reply you don’t know you now think you do?

If there’s one thing you have proven over this and many other threads is that you have no interest in learning and I’ve no interest in trying to educate you. There’s enough clues above for the genuinely curious to work it out by themselves but maybe the place to start would be by going back to your original statement and trying to back it up with something more than your half arsed guesses. 

Tyler 23 Jan 2021
In reply to stevieb:

> It’s not a benefit per se, but it looks like it is an investment in the U.K. which has been forced on Nissan by Brexit, which would probably not have happened without Brexit. Nissan have been forced to move manufacturing into Europe (and the Channel chaos has probably encouraged them to move it to the U.K. if that was in doubt)

Ah I see now! Thank you, it seems my level of understanding was lacking as well so mea culpa!

Post edited at 16:02
In reply to David Riley:

> The EU have insisted on the rules of origin to prevent import of goods and re-export to the EU, thus avoiding EU import duty.  So we win both ways.  No EU import duty, and production coming to UK.

We don't win at all.   The big picture, from the same BBC article:

"UK car investment has fallen sharply since the UK voted to leave the EU.

In the five years to 2016 it averaged £3.5bn per year. In the four years since it has averaged around £1bn - a fall of 71% at a time when the technology and map of car production are going through their biggest revolution since the car was invented."

If UK investment is falling by 71% at a time when car industry investment is higher than usual because of the transition to electric the UK is basically in the process of losing most of its car industry.  

David Riley 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Did you find something there that made my statements wrong ?

Andy Hardy 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

If we remove tariffs from Japanese batteries we have to remove tariffs on batteries from everywhere else, which would be bad news for our domestic battery producers.

Despite our new found sovereignty, we cannot unilaterally remove tariffs. 

David Riley 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Since we export few batteries and import most of them.  Free trade in batteries would be good for us.   Do you support free trade or protectionist policies ?

Andy Hardy 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

I was replying to your statement that

"Now we have left the EU, as far as I am aware, there is nothing to say we have to charge import duty on anything. "

Pointing out that there are internationally agreed rules on tariffs which do restrict our possible options.

Hope that helps. 

David Riley 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

No, as far as I can see, we can charge any level of import duty we like, or none, as long as it is the same for every country.  Presumably this ceases to apply if a formal trade agreement has been enacted.

wynaptomos 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

I think there is. WTO rule that if you do that to one country then you have to do it to all. Do you really want to do that? No country will want to sign a trade deal with us ever again.

David Riley 23 Jan 2021
In reply to wynaptomos:

I'm saying we don't have to.  You are saying we may not want to.

Misha 23 Jan 2021
In reply to cp123:

It would be more accurate to say that the trade deal was ‘good enough’ to enable Nissan to stay where it was. However they’ve had to move battery production to the UK to avoid tarifs due to the rules of origin rules (it’s a lot more complex than simply looking at where the car is assembled). I’d say it’s lucky that they’ve been able to do that, otherwise it would have been curtains probably. 

Misha 23 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

You may be right but no country would ever do that because that would take away a big bargaining chip in any trade negotiations. A trade deal covers more than just tarifs but it’s a negotiation with give and take. If we charge zero as opposed to WTO level tariffs on something, we can’t offer to reduce those tariffs so our negotiating hand would be weaker.

So even if you’re right, what you’re saying is pretty hypothetical. 

Post edited at 19:10
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Didn't one of Brexit's crank economics supporters - Patrick Minford, maybe? - say that we needed to take it for granted that Brexit would mean the end of the UK car industry, but that the benefits (I forget what, exactly - nimble new global Britain, no doubt) would far outweigh this trivial inconvenience?

jcm

In reply to cp123:

Mr Riley's arguments on this thread really do evoke the true spirit of Brexit - he is celebrating the fact that we have won the right to do enormously stupid and self-defeating things should we so wish.

jcm

neilh 24 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

That’s not right. You must follow the rules of the WTO unless you have a specific Trade  Agreement with that country. 

The WTO has specific tariffs on all goods . Some maybe 0% and some are 40% all depending on the HTS code  

David Riley 24 Jan 2021
In reply to neilh:

I'm happy to be corrected.  Do you think our import duties from non EU countries are the same as before we left ?  Do you think they will change in the future ?

Post edited at 10:47
 neilh 24 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

Yes they are the same. 

unless there is a specific trade agreement there will be no change. 

David Riley 24 Jan 2021
In reply to neilh:

I'm wrong then.  I always thought our import duty from non EU countries would reduce if we left the EU.  An article I read said the EU were taking legal action against the UK for (a) failing to enforce import duty, mainly from China, and (b) hand it over to the EU.  Was that true ?  If so does the duty now go to us, rather than the EU ?

neilh 24 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

The import duty went to the respective countries not to the EU.

by not enforcing EU duties at the time the U.K. was discriminating against other EU countries who followed the rules. I am sure EU has taken similar action against other EU countries . 

David Riley 24 Jan 2021
In reply to neilh:

That makes sense.  Thanks. Good to get an sensible answer, rather than the normal endless insults and  abuse.

neilh 24 Jan 2021
In reply to David Riley:

The EU is fine as a trading block. You need one to wield economic clout both with and  against USA Or China. 

It also makes sense as most trade is done with your neighbours. 

Mike Stretford 25 Jan 2021
In reply to cp123:

> It seems like its not all confiscated sandwiches and unsurprising extra payments on European postage:

No it isn't

https://twitter.com/i/status/1352906550810193920

It's good Nissan are staying but it's still only damage limitation.

Post edited at 14:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...