UKC

Brilliantly insights on nationalism and Brexit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ericinbristol 19 Mar 2019

This is quite simply the single most insightful thing I have read on the entire Brexit fiasco, by Fintan O'Toole: Are the English ready for self-government?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-are-the-english-ready-for... 

Dr.S at work 19 Mar 2019
In reply to ericinbristol:

One of his better pieces - does not get quite as sneery as sometimes.

HansStuttgart 19 Mar 2019

on the topic of brexit viewed from outside the UK: this is from NL

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2019/03/14/perhaps-theyd-better-go-a3953265

RomTheBear 19 Mar 2019

“Brexit appeals to a collective British self but it is itself the most dramatic symptom of the unravelling of that very thing. “

Very true.

roar 19 Mar 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

"It acknowledges a profound and genuine unhappiness about how the British are governed but deflects it on to Europe."

I think this is a more pertinent phrase. It fits in with the suggestion that a number of people voted for Brexit as a form of protest. An incredible naive, if not outright stupid idea.

It's almost as if the U.K. collectively suffers from some horrendous form of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

This weird, grandiose idea of British greatness, based on the belief in revised historical imperial propaganda combined with serious self esteem issues.

Somehow forgetting that the empire was merely a tool for the ruling and middle class to extract wealth from other parts of the world, using expandable manpower in the form of the servant class and local populations.  

And all the problems this country has, and will have, are and will be blamed on the E.U., just as a narcissist would do. Because it's not their fault, it never is. It's always someone else's fault! 

Siward 20 Mar 2019
In reply to HansStuttgart:

That's an excellent article, and full of truths I think. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...