UKC

British ice hockey team

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pavelk 12 May 2018

I know ice hockey is not the most popular sport in the UK but your national team has achieved big success recently and they are going to play the top level world championship next year.

I don´t think your team is going to beat Canada or us (Czechia) but I wish you good luck anyway!

Clarence 12 May 2018
In reply to pavelk:

It is a shame that we don't make more of our hockey but it really doesn't have much of a following outside the few cities with ice rinks. I don't think it even made the local news and my local news comes from Nottingham, home to one of the UKs biggest teams. 

People don't know what a great game they are missing, far less boring than football.

summo 13 May 2018
In reply to pavelk:

I don't think the games transition from amateur to professional in the very late 80s, early 90s was handled very well. Many rinks closed, there was a consolidation in the race for the money. So public access declined to generally skating declined. The same rinks were used for figure skaters who also suffered less access. 

Clarence 13 May 2018
In reply to summo:

I know, I played a little in the early 80s but after the 84 Olympics with Torvill and Dean, junior Ice Hockey was relegated to 5am slots to cope with the hordes of ice dancers. I had to quit as the earliest bus to Nottingham got there at 7am. I coulda been a contender!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...