UKC

Buying a pick up (L200)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 27 Oct 2020

Any pick up owners out there?

Thinking of buying a 2007ish L200. Likely a manual diesel. 

Anything to look out for?

jbrom 27 Oct 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

Really random, but check the spare wheel, it's very common for them to get stolen. Picked up an L200 bought online for a mate, had a tip to check the spare wheel, it had gone, much to the owners surprise.

OP bouldery bits 27 Oct 2020
In reply to jbrom:

That's a very useful (and surprising!) Tip. Thank you!

UKC is full of good info.

Post edited at 18:44
cb294 27 Oct 2020

Three holes drilled into the platform are for a machine gun tripod, Al Quaida style....

CB

wintertree 27 Oct 2020

On some pickup models, replacing a rusted or damaged sump is a massive PITA with all the front drive gear in the area.  So make sure the sump isn’t past it’s best.

If the diff lock is electronically activated, make sure the mechanism is working.

In reply to bouldery bits: bought a Mazda BT50 last month but my main shock when looking at trucks was how poor corrosion protection is, espescially on the underside so just have a good poke around. L200s are pretty solid though. I'd narrowed it down to Mazda/Ford Ranger or L200.

TechnoJim 27 Oct 2020

Have you considered the Mk 5 Hilux (2001-2005 I think)? I used to work on the festival circuit and drove 4x4s all summer and the 54 plate Hilux I had was simply wonderful. I wish I'd bought it when the company sold it off.

Max Hangs 27 Oct 2020
In reply to TechnoJim:

Ah, the Hilux. Literally bombproof, if Top Gear is to be believed...

TechnoJim 27 Oct 2020
In reply to Max Hangs:

They're pretty indestructible. Ours cheerfully survived the best efforts of an essentially feral crew trying to write them off for months on end every year. Nothing ever seemed to go wrong with them.

The newer ones (2006 facelift onwards) are equally tough in my experience, but they're a bit 'boaty' to drive and need weight in the back to handle well. They also suffer from the curse that's afflicted all 4x4s for the last decade or so, which is that they look like they're on steroids. All puffed up and blimpy. Urgh.

In reply to TechnoJim:

The Hilux looks a great option but they really really really hold their value!

The L200 seems to be almost as solid but I can get a better condition / newer vehicle for the same money. I think! More research to be done - that's part of the fun, right!?

Post edited at 22:15
In reply to wintertree:

Good info WT, thanks!

In reply to blackmountainbiker:

How're you finding the Mazda?

Post edited at 22:16
 TechnoJim 27 Oct 2020

They really really really do

Nowt wrong with an L200, several thousand Welsh hill farmers can't be wrong.

olddirtydoggy 28 Oct 2020

A friend of mine has one and found out this year the clip on glass back half was not a factory fitted feature but rather a 3rd party addon. His insurance company warned him his insurance was void if he kept it on. He assumed when buying the pickup that the back half was part of the original spec. Great pickup though.

Really good. Got it to haul 4 mountain bikes and survive our winters and pitiful excuses for roads and it does a great job. Easy to drive and powerful.

OP bouldery bits 28 Oct 2020
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

> Really good. Got it to haul 4 mountain bikes and survive our winters and pitiful excuses for roads and it does a great job. Easy to drive and powerful.

Very interesting, thank you! I will investigate this option further.

OP bouldery bits 28 Oct 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

How odd? I will look out for this. Thanks!

In reply to bouldery bits: In my experience, looking at the dozens of pick ups around here, the majority seem to have Ivor Williams truck canopies. I can't imagine all their insurances are invalid. Ours had an old Hilux canopy on when we bought it which we removed to make it easier to get the bikes on. Our insurer never asked about canopies. Incidentally, for my wife and I, fully comp with protected no claims, our cover was £160. An added bonus!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...