UKC

Bye bye STi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Dec 2012
No more Scoobie STi motors coming to the UK.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/287404/subaru_wrx_sti_leaves_uk.html?CMP=...

With annual sales figures of around 250 no wonder you don't see many on the road!

End of an era.

Chris
 dale1968 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: thought that the antibiotics had worked!
 Muel 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Good riddance. The last one is dog ugly.
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Muel:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> Good riddance. The last one is dog ugly.

Who would buy one for the way it looks rather than the way it goes round corners?

Chris
Pinged 19 Dec 2012

Burglars

Burglars buy Subarus.
Burglars and drug dealers.
And, evidently, class leading guide book writers!!

Wiley Coyote2 19 Dec 2012

When a former girlfriend worked in car hire we used to have access to almost any car we wanted. She'd bring home a two seater soft top if we fancied a run out to the coast on a sunny day or a van if we were going mountain biking with mates but the default choice was the Imprezza. What a machine! Quick and almost impossible to spin. IMO the best car I've ever driven including TR6, Lotus, BMW, etc etc.
 Murderous_Crow 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: Yes, end of an era. Even so, the Japanese import market still exists for the real enthusiasts, and the Impreza's lack of popularity means some genuine bargains exist at frankly silly prices. Intelligently-modified 500bhp cars can be found for £20,000, older but good 300-400bhp cars for around half that. Amazing.
 Bloodfire 19 Dec 2012
Seriously the best car I've ever owned (late 90's version). I Could get kids, bikes, and my elderly mum in the car no problems and it had serious power.

In all honestly, whilst Subarus main rival Mitsubishi was making it's EVO cars more and more menacing, Subaru suddenly redesigned the car to look like a Ford Focus. Though I really like the Ford Focus RS, it wasn't going to appeal to the people who like subarus for what they are, mean looking as well as incredibly well built, well handling cars.

They softened it too much and killed it. I haven't driven the newer one and don't doubt for a second that it probably handles and drives better then the old one but as with most things, looks and image also play a part. I think they need to go back to the saloon and wagon and I most certainly would consider it again.
 Muel 19 Dec 2012

Everyone who had a late 90s one? They were lovely.
In reply to Bloodfire:

I took my STi on a Institute of Advanced Motorists Track Day (sorry "Skills Day") on Croft Circuit and the 'co-pilots' (ex police drivers etc.) universally commented on its astounding road holding/cornering ability.

Chris
 LastBoyScout 19 Dec 2012

Fastest thing I've ever driven on a public road is my mate's Impreza.

He claims it will spin all 4 wheels in 3rd on "drive it like you stole it" map and enjoys racing Porsches on the autobahn near Stuttgart!
 Martin W 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Bloodfire:

> Subaru suddenly redesigned the car to look like a Ford Focus

I thought it was more like an Astra. I had an Impreza (not an STi) for eleven years but when I finally had to replace it the one thing I knew I didn't want on the drive was something that people would mistake for a Vauxhall.

I was always a bit ambivalent about the "hooligan" image fostered by the Turbo and the STi - people seemed automatically to assume, when I said that I had an Impreza, that I drove like a tw@t all the time whereas I thought I had chosen a reasonably sensible, pretty ordinary car that had the added advantage of four wheel drive. (I'm not trying to suggest that I didn't drive like a tw@t occasionally. We all make mistakes sometimes.)
 argyle_dude 19 Dec 2012

I'm obviously in the minority prefering the newer hatch back style. I only have the baby version as when I bought it they wanted too much to insure the wrx model. The drive and comfort is still outstanding though and already planning an upgrade once the insurance has come down a bit!
 drunken monkey 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: Sad news, still is the best and fastest car I've ever owned. (STi with prodrive re-map)

I never ever had the balls to put it to the max, I always bottled it before the car lost grip. Wish I'd had a go on a track.

The price that the dealers in UK were being forced into selling the cars, plus ridiculous road tax (£440) plus petrol costs have all let to its demise.

Only a car, but its sad. What a machine.
 arch 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: As the former owner of Subaru Impreza Catalunya No 186 I can echo what everyone says. Without doubt the best car iv'e ever driven. The car stayed in the garage most of the time as i have a works van (L/R Defender) but on the odd occasion I did drive it, It never faild to bring a smile to my face. Going into a corner that little bit too fast hoping/knowing it would stick. Fantastic. I never had it flat out, kept it immaculate, was totaly standard, sold it to my brother-in-law after owning it for 9 years, he'd only had it 3 months and totaled it. Pillock!!
Sarah G 19 Dec 2012
Does STi stand for sexually transmitted infection?

Sxx
 Andy Clarke 19 Dec 2012
In reply to drunken monkey:
Still my favourite out of all the cars I've owned - automotive joy. Had a red sportswagon STi version 2 - imported via Ireland and bought off a forecourt dealer who rapidly disappeared. Never saw another one like it on a UK road. Four inch pipe produced a glorious fanfare which announced my arrival well in advance. Unapologetically fuel inefficient. Turbo timer meant I took to filling up with the engine running so all the mates I'd passed on a long journey couldn't re-overtake while I was refuelling. I was a secondary Headteacher at the time and the kids loved it. Now much more responsible sadly. BMW.
In reply to Sarah G:
> Does STi stand for sexually transmitted infection?
>
> Sxx

Presumably that would be sti or STI?

Chris
 dale1968 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Sarah G: this is serious talk, its cars
 ripper 19 Dec 2012
anyone had the good fortune to drive one of these and a Skyline GTR?
just wondered how they compare...
 arch 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Sarah G:
> Does STi stand for sexually transmitted infection?
>
> Sxx

No, this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Tecnica_International

Now go and stand in the corner please.
 goosebump 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Pinged:

And Essex Police Force!
 mark s 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: mine impreza recently went to the car yard in the sky.best car i ever had and stupidly quick for what was basically a 4 door saloon car.
the 22b is still on my list to buy if i find a suitcase of money or rob a bank
 Jep_uk 19 Dec 2012
In reply to ripper:

Would have thought the skyline (older models or new one) would beat the Subaru, just a guess and nothing to base that on. But I do love the skylines more, the GT-R 34 v-spec 2 was was just a sexy beast all 2.6 litres with twin turbos, plus was full of gadgets which made it handle really well. The new one is even quicker isn't it? Doesn't it have the some record for its fastest lap around the nurburgring?

That saying the older scoobies were quick and a very good car, although I always prefered the evo.
 ripper 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Jep_uk: I think a lot of the older, grey-import ones (called Skyline, as opposed to the new model which I think is just a Nissan GTR) were significantly modded. 1,000bhp was not uncommon, so I've heard.
 Jep_uk 19 Dec 2012
In reply to ripper:

Yeah there was a 1000bhp model of the 34 nicknamed Godzilla I think and was tuned by nizmo. Think the stats were something like 0-200-0mph in 12 seconds.
 mark s 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Jep_uk:
> (In reply to ripper)
>
> Yeah there was a 1000bhp model of the 34 nicknamed Godzilla I think and was tuned by nizmo. Think the stats were something like 0-200-0mph in 12 seconds.

that sounds more like f1 times.

woolsack 19 Dec 2012
In reply to mark s:
> (In reply to Jep_uk)
> [...]
>
> that sounds more like f1 times.

with three times the weight though
 mark s 19 Dec 2012
In reply to woolsack: no,i meant i doubt the skyline would do 12 seconds.prob an f1 that would do it in 12 seconds.
 NJSharp 19 Dec 2012

Good riddance, not a patch on the EVO - especially since the looks went down hill after the mid-late 90's models!
 ripper 19 Dec 2012
In reply to mark s: 12s for 0-100-0 sounds more realistic. I've seen a clip of a very heavily modified version hitting 211mph in 6.63s, but that was on a drag strip, on hot tyres, with wheelie bars... and it looked like it was being fired from a missile launcher
 Jep_uk 19 Dec 2012
In reply to ripper:
That might be the one, I knew it was something rediculous, still pretty quick.
 crustypunkuk 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Jep_uk:
I had a P1, and it was an awesome car. Tuned it to 330 bhp, added coilovers, and it handled like it was on rails. It was the best car i ever owned.....
Until i bought an Evo FQ360.
Subaru engine has soul, but the Mitsi is just in another league- it is a machine!
Having said that, i'm sad (but not surprised) to see the end of the impreza- subaru seemed to forget what McRae and Solberg brought to the brand, and made it ugly and bland.
I remember the first time i saw an Impreza- a Catalunya owned by the local drug dealer- and i was so excited, even moist at seeing and hearing it. Could anyone say the same about the current model?
A victim of it's own success, and of Subarus agricultural design division.
 drunken monkey 20 Dec 2012
In reply to drunken monkey: Should add, the Impreza was awesome on the road. But Evo's (Generally speaking) were a different league on a track. lots of toys and gadgets to get the traction down. Probably an easier car to drive in a way, although thats just an assumption as I've never owned an Evo.

Went to a few track days, and unless you had a real special Impreza and an awesome driver - Evo's generally wiped the floor.
For a minute I thought that Sheffield climbing standards were about to rise, as the great and the good would no longer be rinsing themselves at the Sheffield Techno Institute nights...
 Bloodfire 20 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: Scooby (we've gone to pet name level now) to me is also one of the best sounding cars on the road, not only that, it's incidently one of a very small handful of cars that are entirely distinguishable by their sound.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...