UKC

Calling Yorkshire Dales residents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 07 Feb 2019

Perhaps you could do me a favour?

I am a geography teacher in Scotland and I teach a unit on limestone landscapes. We start with limestone formation, look at the formation of surface and underground features then move on to look at land use, land use conflict and management.

This year I've taught it to a younger year group at a different school and it's made me realise the course is a little dry.

I'd like to make it more engaging and human by flipping it around and looking at the people of the Dales, what their life is like then rewinding and looking at how the landscape influences that.

It would be great if I could find a couple of real live Dalespeople who wouldn't mind answering pupil questions and generally telling us about the challenges and pleasures of living there. Nothing too onerous! People involved in farming or tourism would be of particular interest but it really doesn't matter.

PM me if you think you could help with that.

Thanks.

Rigid Raider 07 Feb 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

The course is a little dry? That's because all the river water has seeped through the cracks.

Seriously though, I reckon you'll be hard pushed to find anybody in Scotland who fits the bill. There are lots and lots of fascinating TV documentaries on the Dales, can't the school buy a boxed set? A great example would be Our Yorkshire Farm, a series of four about the family who live at a high altitude in Ravenseat: https://www.channel5.com/show/our-yorkshire-farm/  The episode on Winter is a very good illustration of the hardships of weather and landscape and the children are very spirited and photogenic and a good example to kids who spend too much time indoors on their devices.

EdS 07 Feb 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

might be worth inquiring on UK Caving as well - especially for limestone areas of the Dales

OP DaveHK 07 Feb 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Seriously though, I reckon you'll be hard pushed to find anybody in Scotland who fits the bill.

Thanks for the link but I think you've misinterpreted what I'm after. I'm looking for someone living in the Dales that could give pupils a bit of first hand insight into life there, via t'internet most likely, I'm not expecting a personal visit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...