UKC

Can I legally drive a car with no MOT or tax?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Mountains 07 Nov 2012
I am considering buying an Alfa Romeo which is for sale 80 miles away from me with no MOT or tax. If I insure it & book it in for an MOT can I legally drive it home? I can get the garage near me to give me a written note saying it is booked in for an MOT on the same day I am potentially buying it.
Thoughts?
Wonko The Sane 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains: Home, no. To the garage, yes, perfectly legal if the MOT is pre booked.
Jamming Dodger 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains: Wouldnt it be easier to agree to get it MOTd before you buy it on the proviso you pay for the MOT if it passes? If it fails then you have another problem and could be driving a car that has a major fault 80 miles. :/

In reply to Andy Mountains: Im also fairly sure that without tax you cant drive it. Regardless of the circumstances.
In reply to Jamming Dodger:
> (In reply to Andy Mountains) Wouldnt it be easier to agree to get it MOTd before you buy it on the proviso you pay for the MOT if it passes? If it fails then you have another problem and could be driving a car that has a major fault 80 miles. :/

Ashley 07 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Andy Mountains) Im also fairly sure that without tax you cant drive it. Regardless of the circumstances.

But without a valid MOT you can't tax it...
> (In reply to Andy Mountains) Im also fairly sure that without tax you cant drive it. Regardless of the circumstances.

Correct

In reply to Ashley: I think persuading the police that youre just test driving it for 80 miles is a bit less risky than driving it to the nearest garage... and if its not his car, not his problem. Maybe theres a reason the owner is selling it without an MOT... Id be asking why, personally.
In reply to Jamming Dodger: (More risky. Not less)
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
> (In reply to Jamming Dodger)
> [...]
>
> Correct

No, it is not correct. A car MUST have a valid MOT to purchase tax.

you may pre book an MOT and drive your car to that MOT. It must be considered a 'reasonable journey'

I.E. not to an MOT in Flint via home. Driving straight to your local garage is fine.
 Ashley 07 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Ashley) Maybe theres a reason the owner is selling it without an MOT... Id be asking why, personally.

So would I. I was just playing devil's advocate.
In reply to Andy Mountains:

I know the reason the owner is selling it with no mot. Don't worry yourself about that bit.
I'm just asking about the legalities.
In reply to Andy Mountains: You do not need to persaude anyone of anything. The law says the MOT must be pre booked. This is provable or not provable. No persuasion needed.
Removed User 07 Nov 2012

I know you asked for thoughts with regard to the legality of driving the car with no MOT or Tax, but I can't help thinking that buying an Alfa Romeo without an MOT is a hell of a risk. As someone else said, get it MOT'd first. If you buy it without good luck.
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserAndy Mountains)
>
> I know you asked for thoughts with regard to the legality of driving the car with no MOT or Tax, but I can't help thinking that buying an Alfa Romeo is a hell of a risk.

Corrected it for you.

In reply to Wonko The Sane:
> (In reply to rocky57)
> [...]
>
>
>
> Corrected it for you.

Very true. This will not be my first Alfa experience

> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
> [...]
>
> Very true. This will not be my first Alfa experience

Andy, alphas are like bad women. You should NEVER have one, but they're just so much more fun than the reliable ones.
 Mike Stretford 07 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Andy Mountains)
>
> I know the reason the owner is selling it with no mot.

yeah, cos it's an Alfa Romeo.

Removed User 07 Nov 2012
> (In reply to rocky57)
> [...]
>
>
>
> Corrected it for you.

Twas what I wanted to say in the first place but was trying to be subtle, as I know how touchy people that like AR's can be.
In reply to Removed User: Come on guys... Rust is a nice colour!

Ok ok, big laughs all round!

Does anyone have anmy actual facts for me? Wonko, do you mean I CAN drive it the 80 miles to a garage?
In reply to Andy Mountains: Is it a 156?

No!
>
> Ok ok, big laughs all round!
>
> Does anyone have anmy actual facts for me? Wonko, do you mean I CAN drive it the 80 miles to a garage?

Well........ IF it can go for 80 miles, yes, you can. You MUST pre book the MOT though.
Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 said:
Schedule 2 - Exempt vehicles

22. - (1) A vehicle is an exempt vehicle [from VED] when it is being used solely for the purpose of;

(a) submitting it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) for a compulsory test, a vehicle identity check, a vehicle weight test or a reduced pollution test, or

(b) bringing it away from any such test or check.
In reply to Wonko The Sane: The police could conceivably um and ar about the distance, but the law says a reasonable journey.

If buying a car from a distance, it is not unreasonable to want it serviced and MOTd by your local garage.
In reply to Andy Mountains: I love Google.
> (In reply to Andy Mountains) I love Google.

I did look honest! Thanks for that though.
In reply to Andy Mountains: Im curious now; why is it being sold without an MOT?
J1234 07 Nov 2012
If it un taxed, presumably it is SORNed, do you not have a legal helpline with your insurance or ask a police man. I supect you could get in trouble.

Being sold by Alfa enthusiast. Long term Alfa Forum member who has several of them. This one (and a couple of others) he has are being sold to raise urgent funds for a personal matter. Has been uninsured and off road since the summer. Thats all I know.
I don't know the seller personally though.
 winhill 07 Nov 2012

If it fails the MOT you'd have to have somewhere off road to keep it, 80 miles back to the seller might not be advisable, depends where you get pulled, really.

I'm guessing you're not expecting a pass? Or are you expecting a passs but worried about the tax?

If it's a way of getting it home then hiring a car transporter trailer would be much better and costs about the same as an MOT.
In reply to winhill:
>
> If it fails the MOT you'd have to have somewhere off road to keep it, 80 miles back to the seller might not be advisable, depends where you get pulled, really.
>
> I'm guessing you're not expecting a pass? Or are you expecting a passs but worried about the tax?
>
> If it's a way of getting it home then hiring a car transporter trailer would be much better and costs about the same as an MOT.

You cannot drive it ANYWHERE other than to a PRE BOOKED MOT.
If it fails this MOT, you can then only drive it to a garage to have it fixed.

"Are there any occasions when a vehicle is exempt from displaying a tax disc?

Going to a test centre for a pre-booked MOT, stipulating the time and date, during an MOT test, and after failing an MOT test, but only for the purpose of taking the vehicle to a pre-booked appointment at a garage to have the faults rectified."

From DVLA website.
 Nutkey 07 Nov 2012

You do not need tax either on the way there, or the way back.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/22/contents
Schedule 2, 22 (1).

But you might want to print that out in case you get stopped.

Thanks for the help and constructive criticism people, but just this very minute had a message to say it has been sold today.
Ah well.
 Reach>Talent 07 Nov 2012
after failing an MOT test, but only for the purpose of taking the vehicle to a pre-booked appointment at a garage to have the faults rectified."

If you happen to be a decent mechanic (you'd hope so if you are buying an Alfa) with a good home workshop then I would have thought that taking it home for remedial works would be reasonable. Would a note from the wife saying you had to be home by 6 or the dog got your dinner be an appointment?
>
> Thanks for the help and constructive criticism people, but just this very minute had a message to say it has been sold today.
> Ah well.

Andy, consider it a lucky escape!!!
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to Wonko The Sane)
> after failing an MOT test, but only for the purpose of taking the vehicle to a pre-booked appointment at a garage to have the faults rectified."
>
> If you happen to be a decent mechanic (you'd hope so if you are buying an Alfa) with a good home workshop then I would have thought that taking it home for remedial works would be reasonable. Would a note from the wife saying you had to be home by 6 or the dog got your dinner be an appointment?

Not sure. But any copper who wants to argue the point with any of the women I tend to date is bloody wlecome to try!
 Glyno 07 Nov 2012

will you be making the 80 mile journey in an untaxed, unMOT'ed car without insurance?

What if you hit someone?
Mr_Yeti 07 Nov 2012

I'd check the insurance - it may well say somthing like it has to be MOT'd and Taxed for the insurnace to work.
In reply to Glyno:
>
> will you be making the 80 mile journey in an untaxed, unMOT'ed car without insurance?
>
> What if you hit someone?

Worth asking the question, but at a guess, someone who is asking about the lgeality of driving without tax and MOT understands that he needs insurance.

I was going to insure it first yes.
 DynamoCL 07 Nov 2012

Devils advocate, if you are allowed to drive a car with no NOT or Tax to a pre-booked MOT centre (and back again if it didn't pass). Is there anything stopping you driving to a MOT centre near your regular destination, i.e. work (and back again) if you book ahead every-time?

I'm sure the garage will stop taking bookings from you, but an interesting loop hole.
 MG 07 Nov 2012
In reply to DynamoCL:
(and back again)

That bit would be illegal surely?
 Neil Williams 07 Nov 2012

Provided (a) it is insured and (b) it is roadworthy.

If it would fail an MOT on a roadworthiness item (not everything on an MOT would make it immediately unroadworthy, e.g. if the back seat belts were faulty but nobody was sitting in the back) you wouldn't commit the offence of driving a car without an MOT, but you would commit the different offence of driving an unroadworthy vehicle.

Neil
 Neil Williams 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Glyno:

Insurance is still required.

Neil
KevinD 07 Nov 2012
In reply to MG:

> That bit would be illegal surely?

if there was a handy garage you were returning it to then it would be legal.
Reason why not would be it would start costing rather a lot in MOT fees.
In reply to Andy Mountains: Declare that you are a "Freeman on the land" and that your name is now "Andy of the family Mountains", if the police stop you. Then declare that you have not entered into a contract with the state and that you do not recognise their laws.

That should sort you out, sweet as.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Freeman_on_the_land
In reply to stroppygob: All well and good, but I'd rather pay for road tax, MOT and Insurance than have to drink my own piss.
 winhill 07 Nov 2012
> (In reply to winhill)
>
> You cannot drive it ANYWHERE other than to a PRE BOOKED MOT.
> If it fails this MOT, you can then only drive it to a garage to have it fixed.
>
>
> "Are there any occasions when a vehicle is exempt from displaying a tax disc?
>
> Going to a test centre for a pre-booked MOT, stipulating the time and date, during an MOT test, and after failing an MOT test, but only for the purpose of taking the vehicle to a pre-booked appointment at a garage to have the faults rectified."
>
> From DVLA website.

It's a 'place of repair' which could be a garage, it could be your drive, your grandmother's rectum or a local autofactor's.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...