UKC

Can you smell gas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 owlart 22 Jan 2013
Apparently there's been a gas leak in France of Mercaptan (the additive they put in natural gas to give it's distinctive smell), and the cloud of gas has reached the Sussex & Kent coast. I can smell a very strong odour of gas here, which is quite disconcerting!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21141351

Any other Sussex/Kent residents getting the same?
estivoautumnal 22 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart:

I can't smell it from here.
 Dave B 22 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart:

Good job it wasn't two days ago... We had a gas leak in the supply into our house... It reached 'low range explosive', before we were cut off and capped... All fixed now...
OP owlart 22 Jan 2013
In reply to Dave B: I was thinking that, I wonder if there'll be any explosions caused by undetected gas leaks masked by the general gas smell.
 winhill 22 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart:

"Kent Fire and Rescue Service has advised residents to keep doors and windows closed to minimise the smell inside homes."

Sound, sobering advice I hope everyone heeds.
In reply to owlart:

It may not have been too bad a leak, because mercaptans are the smelliest substances known to man. Methanethiol gives the rotten cabbage smell in sh1t, and ethanethiol is the smelliest of them all, according to the Guinness Book of Records.
 getandy 22 Jan 2013
In reply to John Stainforth: yes normally gas does not smell of anything but they add those substances to make it easier to detect a leak
OP owlart 22 Jan 2013
In reply to John Stainforth: Yes, detectable by the nose at concentrations as low as 1part in 2.8billion! That's pretty impressive! Explains why we can smell it over the other side of the channel! Mind you, it's making my eyes water and catching the back of my throat too!
 winhill 22 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart:
> (In reply to John Stainforth) Yes, detectable by the nose at concentrations as low as 1part in 2.8billion! That's pretty impressive! Explains why we can smell it over the other side of the channel! Mind you, it's making my eyes water and catching the back of my throat too!

Not closed that window yet?
OP owlart 22 Jan 2013
In reply to winhill: All windows and doors closed, except for when customers come in/out which necessitates opening a door since we haven't yet perfected our teleportation unit.
 jimtitt 22 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart:
Maybe it´s your customers that smell?
 Bruce Hooker 22 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart:

Just noticed this international incident and I feel I have to apologise. I knew the pills I've been taking were wreaking havoc on my guts but reaching England is an all time record. Normally being East of Paris the prevailing winds take the odours harmless off across the desolate plains of N E France, where they are barely noticed amongst the ambient smells, but unusually a S E wind has been blowing for two days, hence complaints in Paris, all down the Seine valley and now, apparently, across the Channel.

I can only apologise and reassure you that the whiff is not toxic in any way.
 Trangia 22 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart:

Smelt it here in Hastings this morning - those bloody Normans have been sending sh*t over here since 1066!

wushu 22 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart: I could smell it at the school today in Sutton, Surrey. We thought our gas taps in the lab were leaking.
 jon 22 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart:

Look out! When the French think that the whole of the south of England is unconscious they'll invade and occupy Hastings again.
 tehmarks 22 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:

No big loss...
In reply to owlart:

The mercaptan leak is just a cover story. It's just that the French smell and the wind's in the wrong direction...

Trangia 22 Jan 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:

Merdre

as they are no doubt saying....
 Billhook 22 Jan 2013
In reply to owlart:

I thought it was our dog.
 Welsh Kate 22 Jan 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:
We used to get French tv in Dorset when atmospheric conditions were 'wrong'; now my sister reckons the gas smell she and the neighbours got this afternoon in Dorchester was French as well!
 Trangia 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Welsh Kate:
> (In reply to captain paranoia)
> We used to get French tv in Dorset when atmospheric conditions were 'wrong'; now my sister reckons the gas smell she and the neighbours got this afternoon in Dorchester was French as well!

Thems smells more likely to be wurzles if youse be talking bout Dorzzet....!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...