UKC

Can't believe I'm asking this....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 26 Apr 2020

.... can you use accessory cord for a washing line?

Our washing line is one strand away from snapping. I thought, I'll use some 3mm accessory cord, but the missus quite rightly said "will it stain the whites if left out in the rain". So, anyone else use it?

*apologies for the clickbait - but no-one is going to open a thread titled 'washing lines'.

joem 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

You could then use your retired washing line as a climbing rope I believe 

Doug 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

I've frequently used 3 -6 mm cord as a washing line when camping, or for drying stuff in bothies, huts etc & never had any problems. But maybe didn't have any 'whites' - are you a cricket player ?

OP Derry 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Doug:

No, but we just got a new washing machine and my partner is getting great joy out of doing the washing. I don't want to ruin her 'fun'

Sealwife 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:  Try it by wetting something white (not your best shirt) and pegging it to the cord.

Tringa 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

Is it not possible to cut the washing line and rejoin the ends? Ours was wearing away and if now joined by a couple of figure of eight knots.

Dave

OP Derry 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

I wont go into detail, but no. thought of that and its just fecked! Inherited from the previous owners. 

marsbar 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

Stick the accessory cord in a sink of almost boiling hot water and prod it a bit with a wooden spoon or whatever.  If colour comes out then no, if not then it's fine.  

OP Derry 26 Apr 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> Stick the accessory cord in a sink of almost boiling hot water and prod it a bit with a wooden spoon or whatever.  If colour comes out then no, if not then it's fine.  

Yes, sounds good. And if colour comes out I'll make a Donald Trump endorsed noodle soup from it.

Lankyman 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

> now joined by a couple of figure of eight knots.

What?! I think a double fisherman's with hitches would be safer. Probably less jamming if you need to slide clothes pegs past the knot too. Nine out of ten housewives recommend this I read recently.

freeflyer 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

> Yes, sounds good. And if colour comes out I'll make a Donald Trump endorsed noodle soup from it.

You could add bleach to the boiling water. Apparently that works well for almost everything.

wilkie14c 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

It needs to be dynamic to absorb strong gusts

Pedro50 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

It will stretch like hell

Dan Arkle 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

As the cord will be nylon, the colour is permanent and will not spread onto the whites. 

Neil Williams 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

Cord is static, though?

Pedro50 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

Fair enough

In reply to Dan Arkle:

Yes the rope isn't dyed, it's colour is inherent so it won't run. 

mick taylor 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

Just sellotape over the dodgy bits and set the video camera rolling. U need your fun as well. 

Clarence 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

It isn't colour coming out of the nylon that will be a problem, it is that the cord is woven and will harbour mould and fungus. This will rub off on anything pegged to it. You can use cord for a washing line but bring it indoors and dry it between uses and it will be fine.

Basemetal 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

Washing  line is a lot cheaper...

Just sayin' 

Hooo 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

You were right, it will stretch like hell. I have used a length of 4mm as a washing line when camping.

To the OP,  it's ok for a temporary measure, but silly as a permanent solution. 

OP Derry 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

> Washing  line is a lot cheaper...

> Just sayin' 

yep. just trying to use what I've got instead of making a trip out if I can.

OP Derry 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Hooo:

yeah just temporary. 

yeti 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

but will the pegs hold on ...

nufkin 27 Apr 2020
In reply to yeti:

>  but will the pegs hold on ...

Yes, if it's not too thick (4mm seems about right), but it's harder to slide them - and the washing - about on the line for fine-tuning the position of things

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...