UKC

/ Car problem query.....

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
abr1966 - on 13 Feb 2018

Grateful for any pointers in the right direction!

VW Polo 2009 with 115k on the clock. Past 2 days I've heard an intermittent scraping sound at the front end. Its got worse and although I cant hear it at speed I can reproduce the noise moving slowly in first gear with full lock on the steering? I think it may also make the sound at low speed on a slight incline with less than full lock?

Thanks for any ideas/guidance...

John W - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Ball joints/track rod ends.

alanblyth - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Wishbone bushes worn so badly the geometry "walks" when you steer and drive, then the wheel fouls something?

Grab the wheel and give it a good shake, you might hear a knock, then take it to someone who knows about cars.

abr1966 - on 13 Feb 2018
In reply to alanblyth:

Thanks....just looked on youtube and think its more likely ball joints as John said on the previous post.....

Meant to be driving to Glencoe on Friday.....need to get it sorted!!

Blue Straggler - on 14 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Hire a car

FactorXXX - on 14 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

> Meant to be driving to Glencoe on Friday.....need to get it sorted!!

It's a relatively simple job and a garage should be able to do it within a day.  Book it in today and hope that there are no complications.

Ben Sharp - on 14 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Last couple of times I've looked at a car for a scraping sound was a twig caught under the engine guard and a piece of trim loose in one of the wheel arches. I take it you've had a good crawl around underneath and checked for anything obvious? The stone guards at the back of disc brakes often come loose as well and scrape against the side of the disc. If the sound is rotational (i.e. changes pitch depending on speed) then base your search around the wheel.

A scraping noise isn't the most common symptom of a ball joint failure. If you think it's something to do with that then go around every one and look at it, it's pretty obvious if one is shot - broken rubber, grease leaking out, joint wobbles side to side more than the others. You might get vibrations at a certain speed, uneven tyre wear, banging/clunking noises often worse over a bump or round corners. If it is ball joints it's a quick and cheap fix as others have said, although I'm sure you'd get to glencoe and back if you can't get it fixed.

timjones - on 14 Feb 2018
In reply to John W:

> Ball joints/track rod ends.

For a scraping noise wheel bearings or brake pads seem far more likely.

I would expect ball joints to produce a knock and/or vibration long before they became badly worn enough to allow anything to scrape.

jezb1 - on 14 Feb 2018
In reply to timjones:

Was going to take a punt at worn pads 

jkarran - on 14 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Low speed scraping is usually something dragging or rubbing under the car or on a wheel: twigs, stone/rust in a brake disk shield, saggy exhaust, loose under tray or arch liner. Snow in the arches and under the car can move the plastic liners around so they rub. Another slim possibility is the auxiliary power belt, at low speed if you're drawing a lot of power (like holding full lock on the PAS) it may be slipping or making a bearing rumble, I wouldn't describe it as a scraping sound but you may.

Ball joints klunk especially when braking, steering and on uneven surfaces. Steering joints don't tend to make much noise but feel vague and can cause shimmying/vibration at speed. CV joints grind/clack at high steering angles and low speed, often worse in reverse and always accompanied by a sticky greasy mess thrown out of the joint. Knackered bearings hum/whine at speed and especially under cornering loads. Worn pads grind/rumble when you brake then go quiet when you aren't braking.

Of those possibilities the the CV joint brakes and and the exhaust are the only things likely to fail completely or do damage in the next 1000miles and they're not likely given your description so I wouldn't worry too much if you can't get it looked at before your trip.

jk

Post edited at 11:01
petellis - on 14 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Start simple - have a look if anything is hanging down under the car or fouling the wheels at either range of steering lock.  If it isn't that then it sounds lie you need a garage.  

fred99 - on 14 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Could be Mud Flaps either filthed up or hanging part on.

abr1966 - on 14 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Thanks everyone for really helpful suggestions....much appreciated..

Toerag - on 16 Feb 2018
In reply to jkarran:

>  stone/rust in a brake disk shield

I had this once, what a pain - the stone would scrape badly for awhile then move out of the way of its own accord for a while. Took some fishing out of the shield!

garycrocker - on 16 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966: The question you need to ask your self is; is it a heavy sound or a light sound? Light sounds are usually easy and cheap to sort, heavy are expensive. Light scraping could be a bent brake shield that is so close to the disk even slight steering changes cause it to catch. Investigate the free solutions first.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.