UKC

CCF Mountain emergency County Down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 02 Aug 2017
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40804343

Must say I'm a bit surprised about the number of kids they are reporting with Hypothermia... given it's August

Looks like the mountain rescue folk are doing us proud again.
 wercat 02 Aug 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

The nearest I've come to Hypothermia was midsummer 1982 in the Lakes - luckily we spotted the early signs and got down.
 Bobling 02 Aug 2017

Huge kudos to the emergency services, puts me in mind of other mountain tragedies involving youth groups which have not turned out so well. Great work.
 jezb1 02 Aug 2017

> Must say I'm a bit surprised about the number of kids they are reporting with Hypothermia... given it's August

> Looks like the mountain rescue folk are doing us proud again.

Having been out and about at work in the hills over the last few days, it definitely doesn't feel like August.

It's been pretty grim, if the kids got wet - and it's been pretty wet,, the wind has been strong enough to lower the body temp in no time at all.
carlbullock 03 Aug 2017

Very true, I get more and more impressed with the increase of call outs for MR. I heard of this incident on the news last night but not the details until i clicked the link here.

It's an ACF group, just happens to be the one I was a member of during my youth. It just goes to show the importance of preparing for the hill climate regardless of the time of year.

I'm an ML now and have taken cadets out regularly in recent years but they aren't allowed to take part without the correct gear, of which they are informed about long before. I often have spare kit in another bag to take as there is always one, or two, no make that three.....

Excellent work by all the services though, my hat is officially doffed!
 RKernan 07 Aug 2017

The kids concerned were indeed very cold - conditions were terrible, river levels were extremely high and they'd been out camping the night before andw ere soaked from a sudden very heavy downpour!
 gavmac 07 Aug 2017

Must confess, as soon as I seen the numbers involved, I was sure it would be army/army cadets. Some questionable decisions, well done MRT.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...