UKC

Chamonix mechanic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dan wisey 26 Jul 2014
Hi can anyone recommend a mechanic in Chamonix, maybe even one who understands English. While driving down on Wednesday my van developed a high pitched squeal coming from what I think could be the drivers side front wheel (although not all the time). Iam no mechanic but I think this could be the wheel bearing. I have just taken the van out for a spin but the noise seems to have disappeared-strange. But i think it may be best to have it checked out before the return leg.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated
cheers
dan
 woolsack 26 Jul 2014
In reply to dannyW:

Maybe a stone lodged in the brake caliper and it has now gone (you reversed etc). Wheel bearing would be more of a grumbling and typically biased to turning one way
 gethin_allen 26 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:

My experience of wheel bearings going is that the hum rather than squeal. If there is no obvious signs of wear on the disks and no significant heat build up on the wheel compared to the other front wheel I wouldn't be too worried about it. Even if it were a front wheel bearing it's highly unlikely to fail catastrophically as they are designed to fail safe and you'd know all about it long before it did and the wheel would be flopping around all over the shop.
OP dan wisey 26 Jul 2014
In reply to woolsack:

thanks that had occurred to me too. Maybe nothing to worry about like you say fingers crossed.
OP dan wisey 26 Jul 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

Thanks for the advice if it doesn`t re appear within the next few weeks then I will probs just risk it and drive back.
cheers dan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...