UKC

Change of energy supplier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HB1 08 Jan 2018

Hi
We're with EDF at the moment. We do not understand their summaries and explanations one little bit. Any suggestions/ personal recommendations as to which companies might be a) cheaper and b) clearer in their dealings with the poor punter?
 deepsoup 08 Jan 2018
In reply to HB1:
I'm very happy with Octopus. https://octopus.energy/
They're good at answering the phone and replying to emails and are generally very pleasant to deal with.

I particularly like their very no-nonsense approach to meter readings - a monthly email requesting readings (which you're entirely free to ignore) containing a direct link that makes it extremely straightforward to submit up to date numbers.
 MG 08 Jan 2018
In reply to HB1:

Try bulb.
 badgerjockey 08 Jan 2018
In reply to MG:
Yep, I changed to Bulb recently and they have been excellent. 100% renewable solar and 10% renewable gas which is more than nearly anyone else.

Ok, shamelessly, here’s is a link which will give both you and me £50 credit when you join...
https://bulb.co.uk/refer/harry1222 They also pay any exit fees.

They only have one tarrif. A very cheap variable tarrif which is the same for everyone. Definitely
Cheaper than edf. Check out the unit rates and standing charges for gas and electric to see how they compare.

The call centre answered the phone almost instantly without the endless button pushing menu stuff and were very informative.

They don’t do smart meters yet so you have to give them readings but apparently this is because the next gen meters are coming in July and they will be able to communicate across suppliers so if you left Bulb m you wouldn’t have to get a new one put in, which makes so much sense.

They feel like about as honest and decent an energy company as you can get. The app is good too.
Post edited at 22:11
 Martin W 09 Jan 2018
In reply to HB1:

My suggestion would be to join the MoneySavingExpert Cheap Energy Club. It's free. You tell them your current usage of gas & electricity and they come back with a list of suppliers who should be cheaper than your current one. Importantly, they also have links to review sites where existing customers have rated the various suppliers' customer service. You can usually initiate a switch directly from the MSE site. They usually have cashback offers available for switches to certain suppliers via the site. They also sometimes run group offers for cheap 12-month tariffs. They will also monitor your current tariff against the market and drop you an e-mail when they think there's one come on the market which is significantly cheaper (you can define how much cheaper it has to be to bother telling you about it).

I've recently switched to Avro Energy, who so far seem no better and no worse than any of the other five online providers I've been with in the past ten years or so. My experience is that, assuming that you're on a decent (preferably fixed) tariff, paying by monthly direct debit and reading your own meters regularly (they all prompt you to do it), you need very little other contact with the provider, except when you switch, and even then it usually happens more or less automatically once you've kicked off the process. If we have a power cut it's Scottish Power I call for info, not my energy provider.
 NottsRich 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Martin W:

> My suggestion would be to join the MoneySavingExpert Cheap Energy Club. It's free.

Do this.

Also look at uswitch.com for comparisons for energy suppliers. They are also impartial and able to help you make the switch - very helpful.

Also look at cashback offers (e.g. £100 cashback 2 months after joining etc). It can make for some very cheap deals, especially for internet etc.

Pbob 09 Jan 2018
In reply to HB1:

Have a look at Eqipower/Equigas. Probably not the cheapest but very straightforward to deal with.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...